Need Any Advice You Have- Oklahoma and UPenn

BBallDental

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm not sure of the exact date when we have to decide on one school, but I know it's coming soon. I'm trying to decide between Oklahoma and UPenn. Been reading whatever I can on these forums and it's been helpful, but I was hoping to get more advice.

1. I'm pretty sure I want to specialize after dental school. I want to go to a school that would best prepare me. I know UPenn definitely has some name recognition. How important do you all think that is when it comes to applying for residencies?

2. One of the concerns that I've seen about Oklahoma is the lack in patients and how difficult it could be to get chairs. Does anyone know anything about that?

3. I know both schools are going through some curriculum changes. Anyone have any thoughts on how that would effect my time there?

4. What are the thoughts on UPenn. The good? The bad?

Any advice you all have will be very helpful!

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I went to UPenn and I loved it. The best 4 years of my life.

I had many choices, and I knew I did not want to specialize, however over 50% of my class did. Only negative thing is tuition you will be taking on a lot of debt. However, even today after being out for almost 4 years I have no regrets about Penn. The profs wanted you to succeed and they looked at you eye to eye not down at you, like a colleague. That makes a big difference.

I would spend a few days at each school and shadow. I'm originally from Seattle, but loved my time away from my hometown. Feel free to ask me more questions if you like.

DesiDentist

i picked the cheaper school and thats the advice i got from everyone

That's been the advice that I've heard from a lot of people, too.

UPenn is almost double the cost of Oklahoma. I was just wondering how much of an advantage going to UPenn would have when I start applying for residencies.