NEED HELP,,,,- 4 year school -> community college-> 4 year school/ will it affect medical school application!!??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dakterbin

Reaction score
Hi all

I want to move from my current school, to community college then 4 year school.

Currently, I have cGPA of 3.6 which, isn't terribly bad, but I want to improve the number more by attending more years at college.

but I have several academic and personal reasons to leave my current school, and to move to better ranked (like top 10ish)

1. not just for the sake of ranking, but they offer the major or course of study I want to do;
it is the last chance to study OTHER subjects or areas of study before medical school, so I want to make best of it.

2. I do not feel I can do well for the rest of years at my current institution.
and I value the college experience a lot, community and environments of school is vital to academic success,

but the difficulty comes cause I do not have enough GPA, nor SATs, or other so called GREAT extracurriculars to be competitive enough
to get acceptance from the schools,
so I would step back to community college, and get GPA, SAT, or activities done to get into the school,
apply to the school I want to apply, then finish 2 years or more if the credits partly transfer, then apply medical school.

if everything works out, I might improve my GPA, study what I want to study in college, get more experience, get a degree from school with reputation,

Do you think it is good idea to follow this plan?

or just stick to current school,
give up that particular study I wanted, graduate from there to medical school though I hate the atmosphere.

Thank you for reading all this, and excited to hear from all !

Members don't see this ad.

I finished my first year at an unranked state school with a 2.3, took 2.5 gap years (wasn't necessarily planning on doing so, and my family moved states during this time), then reenrolled at a CC and got a 4.0 that year before transferring to a T20 to finish my remaining two years. I think my experience was fairly unique though, and it might be difficult for you to justify transitioning to a CC immediately after spending your first year at a larger university. I think most schools would see it as blatant GPA padding.

but the difficulty comes cause I do not have enough GPA, nor SATs, or other so called GREAT extracurriculars to be competitive enough
to get acceptance from the schools, so I would step back to community college, and get GPA, SAT, or activities done to get into the school,

Just curious, why do you think that attending a CC will allow you to gain any better extracurriculars/activities than you might find at a university? It's usually the other way around. Unless you plan on taking some time off, I'd recommend just building up a competitive application at your current university before trying to transfer out after second year.

First, thank you for sharing your story.

I’m currently in army now, almost for 2 years,
and having 2 years gap like you had, so it will not be immediate transfer to CC if I do.

For the activities issue, I’m planning to go to a community college nearby a research institute, then work there during academic rounds as a non-paid assistant, also
want to develop some research career(publishing paper in journal) and continue it through at new school too.
So the activity I talked about while in CC is mostly the research work.

I just got one more to ask particularly for you,
did you apply to medical school too later?