Need help desperately on what to do! These are my stats:

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

odlaw10

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone this is my first post ever in this website after being a lurker for a couple of years. I am a Texas resident who feels my only chance at becoming a physician is by applying to D.O. schools outside of Texas after receiving a horrible Cumulative GPA of 2.9 and 2.89 science GPA for MD schools. I know D.O. does grade replacement and I want to know if re-taking my old courses ( from 8 years ago taken as an early college high school student) would improve my chances as I know I can bring that GPA to a 3.4-3.5 cGPA, and 3.5-3.6 sGPA.

My last 60 credit hours are 90% upper level Science courses and I ended up with a 3.6 GPA.
My MCAT is HORRIBLE (23 and 496 on second try)
I am Mexican, meaning I am an URM.

Besides the info and requests I've made, please help me! I have no Idea where to go to next, which schools to apply, or what path to undertake. Any criticism/tips are welcomed. If you need any more info just let me know.
Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Where in Texas are you located? If you can get your GPA up over 3.0 you'd probably be a good candidate for BCOM. They are actively recruiting Hispanic students with ties to the border, and they've been more forgiving of low MCAT scores. If you're from El Paso you even have the option of applying to the school directly (not through AACOMAS) and getting an interview decision within 5 days.

Where in Texas are you located? If you can get your GPA up over 3.0 you'd probably be a good candidate for BCOM. They are actively recruiting Hispanic students with ties to the border, and they've been more forgiving of low MCAT scores. If you're from El Paso you even have the option of applying to the school directly (not through AACOMAS) and getting an interview decision within 5 days.

I am actually in El Paso! and yes, my GPA is probably in the very low 3.0s (3.09 or so), I was not aware of this thank you for letting me know, do you have any more information on that? I will call the medical school tomorrow first in the morning and see if I can schedule a visit as soon as possible.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes!!!

I know D.O. does grade replacement and I want to know if re-taking my old courses ( from 8 years ago taken as an early college high school student) would improve my chances as I know I can bring that GPA to a 3.4-3.5 cGPA, and 3.5-3.6 sGPA.