Need help w/ future postgrad path as nontrad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedbrah

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just did my calculation for future grades. When I graduate next spring I will have completed 224 units with a cgpa of 2.41 and sGpa of 3.15 (for ACCOMAS science, AMCAS is lower due to including math). Not sure what to do, as that calculation is assuming I get all A's (which is doable I believe). I have a bunch of classes that I did poorly in my first 2 years of undergrad which is why my Gpa is so low. Should I even consider applying for DO schools after I graduate? I have decent E.C.s; Scribe/clinical research/free clinic/tutoring etc. Any advice would be appreciated!

stats when I graduate next year:
25 y/o
Anthro major
cGPA: 2.41 (last ~50 units 4.0)
SGPA: 3.15
EC's:
Clinical Research Assistant (1.5 years)
Scribe in low SES community hospital (1.5 years)
Free clinic volunteer (6 months)
Surgery intern (1 year)
Starbucks barista (1 year)
Bio tutor (1 year)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Are all 224 units graded, or are some P/F? That may make a difference in whether it would be worth it to follow up with a post-bacc year doing sciences (which I think it might be). I think that 2.41c just might be too low, and you might need to demonstrate some extra time getting As.

Gotta defer to the experts on this one, though, hopefully they can help.

Reactions: 1 user
Are all 224 units graded, or are some P/F? That may make a difference in whether it would be worth it to follow up with a post-bacc year doing sciences (which I think it might be). I think that 2.41c just might be too low, and you might need to demonstrate some extra time getting As.

Gotta defer to the experts on this one, though, hopefully they can help.
Thanks for the response! Unfortunately none of the classes I've taken have been P/F.. I had a really rocky start to college out of highschool

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you looked into SMP programs yet? You might need to take the MCAT/GRE first.

Have you looked into SMP programs yet? You might need to take the MCAT/GRE first.
Yes I have! Im planning on spending next summer studying and taking the Mcat. The only problem is that the majority of SMPs have a GPA minimum of 2.8 or 3.0 :/

Yes I have! Im planning on spending next summer studying and taking the Mcat. The only problem is that the majority of SMPs have a GPA minimum of 2.8 or 3.0 :/
I have no experience with <3.0 GPA, but I know it can be done, though it's especially difficult. I'm wondering if you might be able to take 1-2 grad courses as a nonmatriculating student, get a 510+ on the MCAT, and get into an SMP that way? Or meet with/email people in charge who may see the 3.15 sGPA and 4.0 over the past 50 credits favorably? You can't apply as a regular student- you need someone to take a few minutes to personally review your record. I'm no expert, but that might be my approach.

I have no experience with <3.0 GPA, but I know it can be done, though it's especially difficult. I'm wondering if you might be able to take 1-2 grad courses as a nonmatriculating student, get a 510+ on the MCAT, and get into an SMP that way? Or meet with/email people in charge who may see the 3.15 sGPA and 4.0 over the past 50 credits favorably? You can't apply as a regular student- you need someone to take a few minutes to personally review your record. I'm no expert, but that might be my approach.
That sounds like a good plan, I'll look into that!

Any advice from @Goro or @gyngyn would be appreciated :D

Last edited:
Ok, so I started out not far from your stats 3 years ago. I'm many years out of school, undergrad cGPA of 2.5 and graduate GPA of 3.0. I think I had about 160 hours of undergrad credit. I went to a local CC to do pre-reqs and a few repeats. After 44 hours of straight As, my cGPA rose to 2.8. My plan at that time was to use AACOMAS grade replacement to get above a 3.0 to keep from being autoscreened at DO schools. I did very well on the MCAT and my wife encouraged me to apply for an SMP program. Did well, got accepted to the associated (not linked) program.

The point is this: you have so many credits that the amount of A's it would take to move the needle is ridiculous. It would take you over 130 hours of straight As to raise your cGPA to a 3.0. That's an entire 4 year degree, and that's not a good use of time.

But, you still absolutely need to take and crush the pre-reqs, take and crush the MCAT, and then apply to a linked SMP of some type. While many programs say that they screen at a 3.0, they will consider you if you get in contact with them. I called and scheduled a meeting to learn more about the program, and I think that meeting helped to get me in.

You have a long and difficult road ahead. Your success will depend on exceptional performance at each step, and then you have to nail the interview. Good luck, and feel free to reach out.

Reactions: 1 users
Ok, so I started out not far from your stats 3 years ago. I'm many years out of school, undergrad cGPA of 2.5 and graduate GPA of 3.0. I think I had about 160 hours of undergrad credit. I went to a local CC to do pre-reqs and a few repeats. After 44 hours of straight As, my cGPA rose to 2.8. My plan at that time was to use AACOMAS grade replacement to get above a 3.0 to keep from being autoscreened at DO schools. I did very well on the MCAT and my wife encouraged me to apply for an SMP program. Did well, got accepted to the associated (not linked) program.

The point is this: you have so many credits that the amount of A's it would take to move the needle is ridiculous. It would take you over 130 hours of straight As to raise your cGPA to a 3.0. That's an entire 4 year degree, and that's not a good use of time.

But, you still absolutely need to take and crush the pre-reqs, take and crush the MCAT, and then apply to a linked SMP of some type. While many programs say that they screen at a 3.0, they will consider you if you get in contact with them. I called and scheduled a meeting to learn more about the program, and I think that meeting helped to get me in.

You have a long and difficult road ahead. Your success will depend on exceptional performance at each step, and then you have to nail the interview. Good luck, and feel free to reach out.
Thank you for all the great information! I Pm'd you!

US med school won't happen man. Need your MCAT first before you think about any next move. You asked about SGU before, it could be an option but get the MCAT first. Be wary about some of those adcoms here, their advice is to stay in school for the rest of your life to bring up your GPA. Doctors, IMO, have to make good decision and that would not be a good decision.

But like I said, you don't have an MCAT score so you really can't think of anything right now till you get that.

US med school won't happen man. Need your MCAT first before you think about any next move. You asked about SGU before, it could be an option but get the MCAT first. Be wary about some of those adcoms here, their advice is to stay in school for the rest of your life to bring up your GPA. Doctors, IMO, have to make good decision and that would not be a good decision.

But like I said, you don't have an MCAT score so you really can't think of anything right now till you get that.
Ya that's why I'm asking and looking into all options. Taking the MCAT next summer after I graduate, but wanted to get an idea of what to do so I can plan things out.

Ya that's why I'm asking and looking into all options. Taking the MCAT next summer after I graduate, but wanted to get an idea of what to do so I can plan things out.
U.S. med school is possible. As @DocJanItor mentioned, it's an uphill battle, but attainable. When I wasn't sure where I stood in terms of AMCAS and AACOMAS GPAs (but already had my MCAT score) I emailed all the schools that "reward reinvention," and a few actually responded. One person actually asked for my CV, and told me that if I got screened out and didn't receive a secondary, I should reach out to her again. I actually got an interview invite there, but that was after I got accepted to my top choice.

Just don't even think about the Caribbean. There are some success stories, particularly in past generations, but those opportunities are dwindling and may already be shot now with the whole merger. Focus on getting into school here in the U.S.

Reactions: 2 users
U.S. med school is possible. As @DocJanItor mentioned, it's an uphill battle, but attainable. When I wasn't sure where I stood in terms of AMCAS and AACOMAS GPAs (but already had my MCAT score) I emailed all the schools that "reward reinvention," and a few actually responded. One person actually asked for my CV, and told me that if I got screened out and didn't receive a secondary, I should reach out to her again. I actually got an interview invite there, but that was after I got accepted to my top choice.

Just don't even think about the Caribbean. There are some success stories, particularly in past generations, but those opportunities are dwindling and may already be shot now with the whole merger. Focus on getting into school here in the U.S.

That is awesome to hear. I appreciate the advice! Did you just google: "Medschool Reinvention" or something along those lines?

That is awesome to hear. I appreciate the advice! Did you just google: "Medschool Reinvention" or something along those lines?
Yes- there are a bunch of threads here, and you'll find the same schools mentioned on many of them, including Tulane, Albany, NYMC, Case, Columbia, Vanderbilt, Tufts, BU, Drexel, Dartmouth, U Miami, Wayne State, VCU, and always your state schools. EVMS is mentioned, but it shouldn't be: they apparently auto-screen anyone with <3.4 cGPA if they're OOS, and the rejection email comes almost immediately after you submit the secondary. There are definitely others. First focus on your grades and MCAT, though. Many of the schools on that list expect your MCAT to be 513+, especially with a subpar GPA. I have no idea what's happening with DO schools now that there's no grade replacement, but I would imagine they're more forgiving of lower GPAs than before.

Yes- there are a bunch of threads here, and you'll find the same schools mentioned on many of them, including Tulane, Albany, NYMC, Case, Columbia, Vanderbilt, Tufts, BU, Drexel, Dartmouth, U Miami, Wayne State, VCU, and always your state schools. EVMS is mentioned, but it shouldn't be: they apparently auto-screen anyone with <3.4 cGPA if they're OOS, and the rejection email comes almost immediately after you submit the secondary. There are definitely others. First focus on your grades and MCAT, though. Many of the schools on that list expect your MCAT to be 513+, especially with a subpar GPA. I have no idea what's happening with DO schools now that there's no grade replacement, but I would imagine they're more forgiving of lower GPAs than before.
Thanks for the help everyone, makes me feel alot better!! It's too bad my state schools are all UC schools lol