Need help with study schedule

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted388502

Hi all,

I'm currently a 2nd year med student at a US MD school. I haven't had the best time in preclinicals, I'm a pretty solid low 80s at this point where my class averages are high 80s and started out last year barely passing. I remediated two exams last year and will be remediating two exams this year.

I've been loosely studying for step since January; we aren't on an organ systems curriculum so we are doing all of organ systems pathology this semester. I've gone through almost all of Sketchy at this point and that's pretty much what I have to show for my step studying at this point with a handful of uworld questions I've done, along with the relevant physiology and anatomy when we cover a certain organ system (ie: GI path means I did GI phys + GI anatomy before I covered GI path)

We have to pass a CBSE before we can sit for step, and I have already accepted I'm not likely to pass the next one we have in March. I would like to pass the one in early may and would love any advice on how to come up with a study schedule; I've used cram fighter but I end up getting overwhelmed with how much to do, and how many resources there are.

Boards and beyond bores me because I feel like he's just reading from the slides, I prefer reading to learn, and so far the resource I've liked the most is osmosis. I struggle with memorizing but I'm also at a loss with how to keep up with ANKI. My current test date is in June so I'd love any advice via PM or response that anyone can offer because I'm really lost as to 1) what resources to focus on 2) how to memorize/retain everything as I go along and learn new stuff

Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

1. Stop going to class. Study for classes at home from 7am - 7pm, with time for breaks/exercise/walking the dog/etc. +/- an hour or 2, just try to get in at least 8 hours.

2. Do board review from 7pm - 10pm +/- an hour. The way I did it is;

-Monday: anatomy
-Tuesday: physiology
-Wednesday: pathology
-Thursday: pharmacology
-Friday: embryology
-Saturday: basic science (stats, cell bio, epidemiology, etc.)
-Sunday: biochem

-Every day: 2-4 Sketchy Micro videos. Use a tracker to make sure you don't watch the same ones over and over.

I did 1 system per week, with the order I did them in being the order they were covered in First Aid. You can use whatever method you want to study those subjects, I used Zanki. You should be able to make it through all of the relevant cards in 3 hours. Also don't panic if you miss a day once in awhile. You'll have a chance to come back to the material.

I did the above schedule during the semester and ended up with a 249, and I didn't have to follow it religiously.

Take an NBME and determine your strengths and weakness and go from there. Most people lack foundations like physiology which is high yield to understanding everything like pharm and path.
I would use BB once you are in end stage but prior use PHYSEO or LECTURIO and pick which you like then pathoma. I believe Boards and beyond does better with some topics then pathoma but doing both wont hurt