Need info about switching to different program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ghost of Verma

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anybody have any ideas about how to find out which programs have openings for CA2 positions in July? I am finishing up my CA 1 year at a place that is on probation, and is not making great strides to rectify the problems cited. I went to a top 25 med school, decent scores, no sub abuse problems etc.

The ACGME site has a web page dedicated to it but I know we have offered spots to residents and they were never put on the site.

I am about to start cold calling all the programs. Any help would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I would contact all pds and e-mail them my cv and explain my situation. Good luck with your search. Contact as many as you can.

Ghost of Verma said:
Does anybody have any ideas about how to find out which programs have openings for CA2 positions in July? I am finishing up my CA 1 year at a place that is on probation, and is not making great strides to rectify the problems cited. I went to a top 25 med school, decent scores, no sub abuse problems etc.

What are reasons programs go on probation and who decides this? Also, is there a way of knowing this before one applies to any program? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
I w*ould cold call programs
thats the way to do it
and dont talk to the secretary talk to the program director directly

what program are you at ghost?

and just because a program is on probation doesnt mean you cant finish.. it could very well suit your needs... I say just finish it.. its only 2 years. However if it is totally unbearable get out

Ghost of Verma said:

The ACGME site has a web page dedicated to it but I know we have offered spots to residents and they were never put on the site.

I am about to start cold calling all the programs. Any help would be appreciated.

Does anyone know where on the ACGME site you can find spots open to residents? Tried looking around without any luck.

I sat in on an ACGME meeting this year about accreditation. One thing brought up was that you finish your program in whatever capacity the program was accredited when you started. So if you start and the program is in good standing, then even if it is on probation or loses accreditation you finish from an ACGME certified program.

Of course if your program goes on probation, doesn't rectify its problems and then closes you're screwed. So I don't blame you for wanting to get out.