Need insight on potential Post-bacc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sags2riches

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

So, a little background information. I am a Pre-Dental student with a non-Science major. Here is a low down on my Science courses thus far:

Bio 1: C
Bio 1 Lab: A
Bio 2: C
Bio 2 Lab: A
Chem 1: B
Chem 1 Lab: B
Microbiology: B+
Anatomy: A-
Genetics: B
Chem 2 (Summer): W
Chem 2 Lab (Summer): W :(
Calc 1 (Summer): C

As you can tell, Science is quite a struggle for me. But, becoming a Dentist has been my dream for the longest time, so I continue trekking onward. I am a Junior in college right now, and as I said before, my major is not in the Sciences. I transferred a couple times in undergrad, but I am at the same school I started out at which is a top 50 institution. Without the Science pre-requisites I am on track to graduate within the customary 4 years. Right now, I am aiming to add on a 5th year to undergrad so that I can accommodate Physics 1 and Physics 2. If I did not have to take those courses as part of the Dental school pre-reqs then I could graduate next year. But, now I am starting to learn more about Post-Bacc programs, and I wanted some advice to see if it would potentially be suitable for my situation.

My thinking was that it might be better just to finish and be done with undergrad, get a degree and almost start fresh in a sense. Chances are I would have probably had to do some post-undergrad work to bolster my GPA anyways, so why not just graduate in 4 years vs. 5 and get on that grind a little earlier? But, from what I am researching, most general post-bacc programs are for people who need to take all the pre-reqs or they are formal Masters programs intended to bolster people's GPA's who have already taken all the pre-reqs and the DAT.

What is the protocol for someone like me who will be graduating with a non-Science major/ potentially a minor in Chemistry, who still has yet to take Physics 1 and Physics 2. Can I take those two general courses in a post-bacc with other random upper-level Science courses and finish it up that way? Also, what do you guys recommend is the best course of action for this scenario?

Your responses are highly appreciated!

Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Take Chem at your undergraduate institution. Do everything you can to get As. All dental school curriculums are extremely rigorous so schools want to see you be able to handle tough science courses and excel in undergrad (and postbac). Then apply for a formal postbac and do really really really well. I would suggest taking the DAT during or after your postbac.

Let me know if you need help on the DAT! Best of luck.