Need some advice on pre-med requirements.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stickyslug

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here is where I am at right now:

Associates of applied science degree
GPA: 3.94

Bachelors of Arts degree
GPA: 3.72

I still need my required pre-med classes. Would you suggest taking them at a community college or going the non-degree student route at the University of Washington?

I understand that the requirements will take me roughly 1-2 years to fulfill with work and school, but I am curious about what you believe would be the best route.

Would it also be in my best interest to get another bachelors degree in the STEM field or will the pre-med requirement classes fulfill my MD application with the degrees I already have obtained?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Here is where I am at right now:

Associates of applied science degree
GPA: 3.94

Bachelors of Arts degree
GPA: 3.72

I still need my required pre-med classes. Would you suggest taking them at a community college or going the non-degree student route at the University of Washington?

I understand that the requirements will take me roughly 1-2 years to fulfill with work and school, but I am curious about what you believe would be the best route.

Would it also be in my best interest to get another bachelors degree in the STEM field or will the pre-med requirement classes fulfill my MD application with the degrees I already have obtained?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance! :)
It would be in your best interest to become a candidate for a second bachelor's degree (that is science oriented) at a four year school so you have registration priority for the science-based based classes you need. You are not obliged to complete a second bachelor's, though.

If cost and scheduling around a job would be an issue, you could complete the prerequisites at a community college, but a concern would be that the classes may not have sufficient rigor to enable you to do well on the MCAT.

Should you elect the latter option, you should take some upper-level science classes at a four-year school to prove your capability in a more competitive academic environment.

Reactions: 1 users
It would be in your best interest to become a candidate for a second bachelor's degree (that is science oriented) at a four year school so you have registration priority for the science-based based classes you need. You are not obliged to complete a second bachelor's, though.

If cost and scheduling around a job would be an issue, you could complete the prerequisites at a community college, but a concern would be that the classes may not have sufficient rigor to enable you to do well on the MCAT.

Should you elect the latter option, you should take some upper-level science classes at a four-year school to prove your capability in a more competitive academic environment.

Thank you :)