Need some advice Post acceptance letter

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StudentDoc1204

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Fellow Pre-Dents,

So, I was fortunate to have one interview for dental school, and even more so when I got a letter of acceptance. Now I am kind of in a bind as far as criminal background history. I was pulled over in Sept 2015 while driving under the influence (would not recommend to anyone), and then because of the state that I live in it took the state 11 months to charge me with the DUI. So my applications were in and interview was done before I was even charged with the DUI. Now that I am an accepted to the school, and still have yet to be convicted, I am going to be convicted in February. Looking for advice on what further action to take. Should I contact the dean of students and talk to them, or should I just wait until the background check goes through and they see it. It is a misdemeanor, and it was a DUI to the slightest impairment.

Side not I took it upon myself to vow never to drink again, and so far after a year and a half I have stuck with it

Thank you for your time! Good luck everyone with the upcoming cycle application cylce

-StudentDoc1204

Members don't see this ad.

Hello Fellow Pre-Dents,

So, I was fortunate to have one interview for dental school, and even more so when I got a letter of acceptance. Now I am kind of in a bind as far as criminal background history. I was pulled over in Sept 2015 while driving under the influence (would not recommend to anyone), and then because of the state that I live in it took the state 11 months to charge me with the DUI. So my applications were in and interview was done before I was even charged with the DUI. Now that I am an accepted to the school, and still have yet to be convicted, I am going to be convicted in February. Looking for advice on what further action to take. Should I contact the dean of students and talk to them, or should I just wait until the background check goes through and they see it. It is a misdemeanor, and it was a DUI to the slightest impairment.

Side not I took it upon myself to vow never to drink again, and so far after a year and a half I have stuck with it

Thank you for your time! Good luck everyone with the upcoming cycle application cylce

-StudentDoc1204
I would own up to it. I can't see a scenario where they would be happy finding that in the background check without you notifying them.

Reactions: 1 user
I mean I can absolutely agree with you. My lawyer kept telling me not to admit to anything, but I was thinking otherwise. I am just nervous it will cause revocation of my admission, even though I did not lie about anything. I just simply did not know

Members don't see this ad :)
It doesn't matter if you weren't officially charged at the time of submitting your application, you should have still been honest on your application by explaining how you got pulled over for DUI.

As @PremedNoob said, it might be best to fess up while you have the chance

This kind of thing is what acceptances can get revoked for..hope that your school runs a background check before you get convicted or that might come back to bite you

No where on the application does it ask if I had been pulled over for a DUI, and I consulted legal advice and the entire law firm said not to volunteer information like this until I knew what was going to happen. I guess I will schedule a time to meet with someone in admissions. Thank you guys!

No where on the application does it ask if I had been pulled over for a DUI, and I consulted legal advice and the entire law firm said not to volunteer information like this until I knew what was going to happen. I guess I will schedule a time to meet with someone in admissions. Thank you guys!

There's no point debating it now, but there's a section in AADSAS titled "Are you currently under charge or have been convicted of a misdemeanor?" Regardless of if you were officially charged or not at the time, you should've said yes (let's be honest, no judge is going to drop a DUI charge)

Hope everything works out for you