need ur honest opinions about my chance. i feel so worried now

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentalpowers

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i just took my DAT last week. here are my score
PAT: 15 :mad: :mad:
Quantative: 19
R.C: 16 :mad: :mad:
Biology: 20
G. Chem: 23
O. Chem: 21
Total science: 21
AA: 20

School applied: BU, NYU, Indiana, UOP, USC, Tufts, UNLV, NOVA, Temple, Case, University of Pitts, NOVA,
My GPA is around 3.1 and science is around 3.0. . A lot of dental experience. Bachelor of bio from UCI
AADSAS submitted on June 18
I feel really worried after i looked at my PAT and R.C scores. Should i retake it?? Please give me a honest answer. im really appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

Call the schools and see what they think - but i bet if you restudied you could bring up your scores. Removing the 15/16 will potentially hinder you getting into your first choice school, but the other schools are fantastic.

You AA is pretty good. But the score in PAT might give you some trouble. Retaking the DAT won't hurt your chances as you can definitely bring your scores up (in PAT as well as in sciences). The next time you can take the DAT will be early October (i believe) which is not too late at all.

Members don't see this ad :)
What's up with this? Are you, minige527 and borland all part of some "*****s who don't know how to read or use the Search feature" study club?

Fortunately for you, there are enough people on here compassionate enough to respond seriously to your unnecessary post.

Frankly, you should be worried. If you can't even manage something as simple as doing a search on SDN, I don't know how you'll make it through dental school.

How do you even make it through your day to day life? How is it that you haven't been eaten by a roaming pack of wild dogs yet?

With you school selection I wouldn't stress too much. Having 20 on AA and 21 TS overshadows your bellow-average sci gpa... which is a good thing :). At the same time, that 16 on RC might cause you rejections at some schools. As far as PAT goes, I don't think it would be a big issue at all as most of the schools on your list have a cut off point at 14 and PAT is not one of those sections that schools heavily pay attention to. As long as you have everything else looking good such as LOR's, shadowing, personal statement and ets... you have pretty good chances to be accepted.

shiftyeyes said:
What's up with this? Are you, minige527 and borland all part of some "*****s who don't know how to read or use the Search feature" study club?

Fortunately for you, there are enough people on here compassionate enough to respond seriously to your unnecessary post.

Frankly, you should be worried. If you can't even manage something as simple as doing a search on SDN, I don't know how you'll make it through dental school.

How do you even make it through your day to day life? How is it that you haven't been eaten by a roaming pack of wild dogs yet?

Hey ****foreyes

Get a life!

HD

i sometimes wonder what is wrong with most of the ppl who post here...

to the OP, your scores are fine!!! don't worry about retaking them, b/c that will just waste your time AND still not be a guarantee on getting a higher score. concentrate instead on sending out your applications ASAP.

one note: if you look at the stats for the individual schools, you'll notice that for ALL of the schools, the average PAT is lower than the average AA. so don't be worried about having a lower PAT, i doubt most schools even look at it! as long as your PAT doesn't really sucksuck (ie, a 10) you're fine. your RC is a bit low, you should probably aim for 1-2 points higher, but that isn't enough of an incentive for you to retake your DATs (and run the risk of getting a lower AA on the second try). your AA and TS is awesome, so concentrate on your positives!

while i do have classmates that scored 15, 14, heck even even 13 i still think that having those kinda scores with a 3.1 gpa may not be enough to get in anymore. with each application cycle becoming more and more competitive, i'd retake the DAT and bring up that PAT score to a 17 if i were you.

good luck

I agree. As much as i would like to tell you your scores are great. Those two scores might hurt you. The AA is on target, but that PAT and Reading will go up the next time you take it. You'll get in somewhere though, maybe not your top choice.

ddsnp said:
I agree. As much as i would like to tell you your scores are great. Those two scores might hurt you. The AA is on target, but that PAT and Reading will go up the next time you take it. You'll get in somewhere though, maybe not your top choice.

Dido, those scores are a little too low for a lower GPA. AA is great... congrats. I would retake though. Better to retake in October than in June next year.

crazy_sherm said:
You'll have to retake is you really want to go to either U of Pitt or UOP because they have a 16 minimum for the DAT.

agreed. Esp. UOP. They seem to rarely accept people with less than a ~20 DAT . . .

shiftyeyes said:
What's up with this? Are you, minige527 and borland all part of some "*****s who don't know how to read or use the Search feature" study club?...

Need I remind you as well that unless your posts abide by the TOS you will not be allowed to post them?

dentalpowers said:
i just took my DAT last week. here are my score
PAT: 15 :mad: :mad:
Quantative: 19
R.C: 16 :mad: :mad:
Biology: 20
G. Chem: 23
O. Chem: 21
Total science: 21
AA: 20

I would retake for sure because of your lower GPA. Great job on the science scores though and your AA is solid too, but the low PAT and RC on top of your mediocre GPA will really hurt your chances. Best of luck.

Even though your gpa is slighly below avg you still have a very good chance with your current DAT scores. All science sections above 20 is very good. But the two low scores may get in the way.

I believe you have to wait 90 days to retake the DAT. I would still send these scores to schools. You may get an interview. Some schools may ask you to repeat the DAT. So sign up for the DAT again and wait 3 months. You may get lucky and not have to retake it. Either way there is nothing to be done until then.