need your help, mates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Deo Juvante

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In a couple of years I can find myself facing a tough issue. I’m going to move to Australia as a Skilled Migrant in order to study and practice medicine there. When I’ll enter the country I’ll be 24 yrs old. The only way to finance my education is to get a loan. Unfortunately, they don’t give HECS-HELP loans to PR’s, only to citizens and to those, who have humanitarian visas. That’s why I want to spend four years till I get a citizenship working (ambulance maybe?)\completing my prerequisites (I have a BA degree :( )\preparing for GAMSAT and interviews. If everything is OK, I can get the loan and start studying when I’m 28 or 29 (isn’t it too old?).

OR

I can do quite the same for 2 yrs in Oz (to get a Resident Return Visa) and move to New Zealand, try to get into one of medical schools there. AFAIK, Australian PR’s are considered as domestic students there and pay low tuition fees (smth around 11k NZ dollars/year), don’t they? In this case I'll be 26 or 27 in the beginning of study. Will I be able to move to OZ and make my internship and residency there after completing the degree in NZ?

What would you advice?
All replies will be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Late 20s isn't too old. There are some students in their 30s in the USyd programme, and 1 or 2 even in their early 40s.

If you work as a paramedic it will work in your favour at the interview, so as long as your GPA is ok and you do well in the GAMSAT, you have a good chance.

NZ is also not a bad idea, but do you really want to switch countries twice?

Good luck.

NZ medical schools are 6-year undergraduate programs rather than 4-year graduate programs, so you might want to reconsider that. Also, the 4-year graduate Australian programs may not give loans to PRs, but they do give Commonwealth-supported tuition places (meaning that you'll only have to pay about $8k/year). At that rate, you can probably get a private loan.

Members don't see this ad :)
NZ medical schools are 6-year undergraduate programs rather than 4-year graduate programs, so you might want to reconsider that. Also, the 4-year graduate Australian programs may not give loans to PRs, but they do give Commonwealth-supported tuition places (meaning that you'll only have to pay about $8k/year). At that rate, you can probably get a private loan.

Both Auckland and Otago have graduate entry streams through which one can by-pass the first year of the 6 year program; however, for medicine local applicants must be NZ citizens or PR's.

the $8.5k needed for tuition might be easy enough to get in loans, but the bulk of the expenses will come from having to eat and needing shelter

thanks for the feedback, guys
well, moving to NZ is the last option in my list :)
I can't find the tuition fees for locals studying medicine in Oz. As far as I understand, they consist of Commonwealth contribution + Student contribution = 18k + 8k ~ 26k.

The difference between Australian citizens and PR's here is that the first can put 8k of student contribution into HECS debt, PR's have to pay that 8k up-front or get privte loans? Am I missing something?

28 or 29 is not too old at all. There are many people in their 30's in the MBBS I class at UQ, and even some in their 40's and 50's. If medicine is what you want to do age shouldn't matter!

Check out http://www.goingtouni.gov.au/ for HECS-HELP info if you're not sure. I think they changed some of the rules for PRs recently.

Don't worry about your age. There are people in their 50's in my class.

thanks for the feedback, guys
well, moving to NZ is the last option in my list :)
I can't find the tuition fees for locals studying medicine in Oz. As far as I understand, they consist of Commonwealth contribution + Student contribution = 18k + 8k ~ 26k.

The difference between Australian citizens and PR's here is that the first can put 8k of student contribution into HECS debt, PR's have to pay that 8k up-front or get privte loans? Am I missing something?

that seems right.

though you'd have to wait a minimum of 4+ years to get citizenship and HECS-HELP (and the processing time for the citizen application could be quite long), after 2 years as a permanent resident, PR's are eligible for both Austudy and Rent Assistance, which may considerably reduce how much you have to take in loans.

If you don't mind going to NZ then I would seriously consider it. I believe it is quite a bit easier to get PR over here then in Australia. You should have a look at their website and see if Paramedics fall under the skilled shortage list. If it does you will most likely be able to get PR before you even left your home country. Then you could apply for school straight away; and you could receive loans from study link if you were successful. As one of the posters already mentioned, depending on what type of degree you have (science) you would be able to skip the first year of study. Tuition is around 12,000NZ. If you waited two years before you applied to school once you already had your PR you would even be eligible for weekly allowance given to you by the government if you're studying and over 25. However, the amount depends on how much you earn with your other job. I believe if you aren't working you can qualify for up to 260 dollars a week but then they increment it depending on your other earnings.

I thought Citizenship was two years after PR?

Also as of this year you now have to take an exam to get your citizenship...previously when you were eligible you could just get it.

thanks for all the replies, it really helped :)

I thought Citizenship was two years after PR?
unfortunately, 4 years from July 1, 2007 :(

If you don't mind going to NZ then I would seriously consider it
I really don't, but I can can have problems with m future return to Oz, and it will be hard to skip 1-year pre-med course in NZ :laugh:

though you'd have to wait a minimum of 4+ years to get citizenship and HECS-HELP (and the processing time for the citizen application could be quite long)
you're right, I didn't take that into account, but I will try to match for the commonwealth supported place :)

I've also found some info about BMP scheme. What do you guys think about it? Is it really that simple as described?

I've also found some info about BMP scheme. What do you guys think about it? Is it really that simple as described?

yeah, im looking to move over through skilled migration as well and i've read through the BMP stuff. doesn't sound like a bad idea to me. you can still work outside capital cities. i'm sure i'd be willing to take a BMP spot. different story for the MRBS places though. i doubt my grades would be good enough to get it anyway, but i think id rather pay full fees than work in the middle of nowhere for 6 years despite receiving a living allowance.

I got some advice for you, why not grow a pair of balls and make some decisions for yourself for a change rather than relying on total strangers on this site to make your life decisions.

I kicked a guy out of my house because I could not stand his negativity and constant asking me for what he should do with his life.

I got some advice for you, why not grow a pair of balls and make some decisions for yourself for a change rather than relying on total strangers on this site to make your life decisions.

I kicked a guy out of my house because I could not stand his negativity and constant asking me for what he should do with his life.

that seems pretty harsh and un-called for. especially considering these forums serve to provide info and different perspectives for those seeking info. i personally have found these forums invaluable.

did your mother never tell you that if you do not have anything nice to say, do not say anything at all?

and is your personal story meaningful to others? only to potential housemates.