Needing Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureOptoDoctor

Reaction score
Hey everyone! This next semester I’ll be going into my senior year of undergrad. I just wanted to see what y’all thought of my current situation, as I am beginning to stress about the application process! I currently have a 3.3 GPA and if everything goes accordingly I should be able to get that up to a 3.45-3.5 by the time I graduate. I’ve spent time looking at the average GPA’s of entering classes and noticed mine is a bit lower than some. I plan on taking the OAT this summer. With my GPA and assuming I do decent on the OAT, will I have much of a chance of being accepted? I’m very motivated and decided after being a firefighter out of high school to pursue more schooling. Just wanted to seek any advice or thoughts on my current situation. Thank you all very much for any response!

Members don't see this ad.

High chance of getting accepted at most places with a 3.3/3.4 and at least a 320! Study for that OAT! Don't stress! Make sure you've got other good shadowing/work/extracurricular/LOR too

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I know a few people with around 300 OAT scores, 3.0 GPA and lower then 3.0 science GPA that have gotten accepted in many schools this year. Dont put yourself down with all the forums and reddit bs or even the entering classes averages. If a school says ex. the class average is 3.5, this does not mean they only accept 3.5 and above. They could have 60 people above 3.8 and another 60 that are 3.2. Focus on the OAT get over 300 and I am confident a school will take you. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
I know a few people with around 300 OAT scores, 3.0 GPA and lower then 3.0 science GPA that have gotten accepted in many schools this year. Dont put yourself down with all the forums and reddit bs or even the entering classes averages. If a school says ex. the class average is 3.5, this does not mean they only accept 3.5 and above. They could have 60 people above 3.8 and another 60 that are 3.2. Focus on the OAT get over 300 and I am confident a school will take you. Good luck.
Thank you for the response! I appreciate any input. All of the advice I’ll use to keep bettering myself and bettering my chances of being accepted.

Reactions: 1 users
Your GPA is good. I think focusing on your OAT this summer and getting more shadowing experience will greatly increase your chance of being accepted to optometry school! Definitely have a 2-3 month plan for your study schedule as it will help keep you on schedule. There's a lot of resources in the OAT discussion forums on other student's experiences and studying schedules that helped guide me through my OAT experience. Good luck!

Your GPA is good. I think focusing on your OAT this summer and getting more shadowing experience will greatly increase your chance of being accepted to optometry school! Definitely have a 2-3 month plan for your study schedule as it will help keep you on schedule. There's a lot of resources in the OAT discussion forums on other student's experiences and studying schedules that helped guide me through my OAT experience. Good luck!
Good to hear. Thank you for the response! I’ll be sure to check out the forums. I plan on starting to shadow here soon, already have a place lined up and a possible internship through them. I am also part of my universities Pre-optometry club. I appreciate the feedback!