Negotiating Scholarships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oeluy2004

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is this still a thing? I interviewed at BU and after hearing I was accepted to Tufts they pulled me aside at the end of the interview day and sat me in the Dean's office, who very kindly (and poetically actually) told me he wanted me at BU and he would be giving me a 20k per year scholarship.
I was leaning on the Tufts side but given that I'm an international applicant 80k is pretty hefty. But I still do prefer Tuft's facility in some sense. Is calling/emailing Tufts and asking them about their possible scholarship options vs BUs a possibility?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Is this still a thing? I interviewed at BU and after hearing I was accepted to Tufts they pulled me aside at the end of the interview day and sat me in the Dean's office, who very kindly (and poetically actually) told me he wanted me at BU and he would be giving me a 20k per year scholarship.
I was leaning on the Tufts side but given that I'm an international applicant 80k is pretty hefty. But I still do prefer Tuft's facility in some sense. Is calling/emailing Tufts and asking them about their possible scholarship options vs BUs a possibility?
call and let them know. I was offered an acceptance to a school after letting them know that I had already been accepted at another school. The schools are competing with each other for the best candidates so take advantage of it.

Also nothing wrong with being honest with Tufts about the situation. Let them know how much you love their facility/program but money is an issue and you'd been offered a scholarship to another school.

Let us know how this goes! Curious to hear. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Tufts game me a 10k/ year scholarship as long as I maintain a ranking and I know they gave some larger scholarships to others here on SDN, so I’d definitely say to call them because they do give out scholarships.

Last edited:
Do it. I did it with some schools and got offered good money at several of them. Almost 12k/year at one. If I kept my mouth shut they wouldn't have offered it.

Reactions: 1 users
Oh well. Tufts took over a week to get a hold of, and when I did they said they already distributed all the scholarship money and they'll have to see next week, but my deadline is this week. I'm asking for an extension now, which given my circumstances the assistant director said is perfectly reasonable to ask for apparently.

Just heard back from some posters that they got scholarships doing exactly what I told them to do.

Call the school, tell them you really want to go but financially it is a hard choice. Ask if there are any scholarships available to help. If you don't actively ask you will miss out on possibly tens of thousands of dollars.

Reactions: 3 users
I tried but didnt get more. It doesn’t hurt to try. I don’t think it’s an inappropriate thing to do because in some sense, schools also try to incentivize students they want to go there/pick their shcool over others.

Reactions: 1 users
In case anyone was still invested in the result of this post, Tufts didn't give me anything. They were actually really hard to get in touch with. I get how busy they are with such a big class size but man I feel like their admissions department is on a new level of uncommunicative. Chose BU in the end and I have no regrets so far.

In case anyone was still invested in the result of this post, Tufts didn't give me anything. They were actually really hard to get in touch with. I get how busy they are with such a big class size but man I feel like their admissions department is on a new level of uncommunicative. Chose BU in the end and I have no regrets so far.

Congrats - BU is a great program. Know several D4s there who are happy with their experience. Enjoy it :)

feel like this guy is full of śhît. Tufts doesn't accept canadians who didnt complete a 4 yr US university education and its highly unethical/unheard of for a dean to pull you aside and offer you admission at the end of your interview day.
Why so salty?

Reactions: 2 users