Neurointerventional Radiology via Radiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ZJz4

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am interested in Neurointerventional Radiology via the Radiology route. However, I spoke to a NeuroIR trained from Radiology who recommended I do neurology or neurosurgery as the Radiologists trained in this path aren't getting jobs. Just wondering if anyone can share their opinion on the matter.

Members don't see this ad.

Might want to post this on the radiology specific forum, since those guys might have more knowledge about job market stuff. Also curious about this

Going to NeuroIR via DR/IR is a laborious process and *will* put you at a relative disadvantage to NSurg-trained NeuroIRs.

Members don't see this ad :)
I totally understand that. But are there still enough job opportunities at academic places and radiology groups to be viable for the future?

I totally understand that. But are there still enough job opportunities at academic places and radiology groups to be viable for the future?

PPs don't really hire NeuroIRs. The demand is mostly in academic MCs. Even IRs are hired begrudgingly by most PPs, as IRs function more to maintain footholds in hospital systems than to being in revenue (the latter of which they do less efficiently than DRs). Yeah, I'm aware of at least two hospitals that have rads-trained NeuroIRs, but the NSurg-trained ones bring much more to the table from a negotiating standpoint. Even if there are some positions now open to rads-trained NeuroIRs, you're talking about seven or eight years of training only to be less competitive than the NSurg-trained contenders. You could always fall back to DR or IR, i suppose.

Reactions: 1 users
I guess my question is then, do you think that since many neurointerventional fellowships are rum through radiology departments or combined with neurosurgery departments that jobs are still available for new NeuroIR attendings via Radiology in academic centers?
For background, I applied Diagnostic Radiology and have interests in both NeuroIR and IR. Trying to keep as many doors open as possible.

I guess my question is then, do you think that since many neurointerventional fellowships are rum through radiology departments or combined with neurosurgery departments that jobs are still available for new NeuroIR attendings via Radiology in academic centers?
For background, I applied Diagnostic Radiology and have interests in both NeuroIR and IR. Trying to keep as many doors open as possible.

they are, but as you've probably heard many times by now, don't make any assumptions about the market by the time you end your training.

Your best bet is hospital employment as a NIR rad if you go the radiology route.

Last edited:
I am interested in Neurointerventional Radiology via the Radiology route. However, I spoke to a NeuroIR trained from Radiology who recommended I do neurology or neurosurgery as the Radiologists trained in this path aren't getting jobs. Just wondering if anyone can share their opinion on the matter.

You will be at a major disadvantage when it comes to getting a job and also you will graduate with much less developed skills.

A few reasons that this is not a good idea:

1. Most of your training in DR will be useless if you want a neuroIR job.
2. You can't handle your own complications.
3. You can't take general NSG call so for a smaller hospital they would need you and a NSG on call whereas a NSG trained in neuroIR could cover both.
4. I have doubts whether 1 year of neuroIR is enough training for someone coming from the rads route.

Since people come from all training backgrounds, programs/practices hire people with the background they want. In a multi-specialty practice, that may mean bringing someone in who can do work in their base specialty as well as NIR. In a single-specialty practice, that may be hiring another guy with the same skills. I think desirable jobs are relatively scarce all around, but being a radiologist may be a disadvantage at one place and an advantage at another.

In terms of training however, many rads-trained NIR do the same 2 year fellowship after a 1 year diagnostic neurorads fellowship as neurologists and neurosurgeons. They are as qualified procedurally as anyone else. This field emerged from radiology and some programs still prefer radiologists.