neurologists from other countries

Discussion in 'Neurology' started by doctorlarry, Dec 21, 2005.

1. doctorlarry

doctorlarry Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I couldn't help but notice on a few interviews that some candidates are already residency-trained neurologists from their respective countries, and some are even fellowship-trained. Has anyone noticed this? Does anyone perceive this to be an unfair advantage?
    This wouldn't be very bothersome except that I've met a few that are interviewing at places like MGH, Hopkins, Mayo, Cleveland Clinic, etc. I was just wondering what others think about this...

2. NR117

NR117 Member
    7+ Year Member

Don't you think that whatever "unfair" advantage they may have will be offset by their IMG status? Besides, if they are getting interviews at Harvard, Hopkins etc. despite being IMG's that suggests to me that their CV/scores must be a lot more impressive than the rest of the (US) applicants, regardless of their previous residency. For every residency-trained IMG applicant you see being interviewed at one of those top places remember that there are hundreds who cannot get an interview even at a low tier place.
    Do you think that the selection committees should reject IMG's with previous residency training across the board, regardless of merit?

3. Nikiforos

Nikiforos Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Yes, in view of the fact that many (most?) residency programs across all specialties will NOT consider a US MD who previously completed training in another specialty. The reason for this is funding issues.

4. bustbones26

bustbones26 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    That is an excellent point. But there is one thing to consider here, right now, neuro is an uncompetitive specialty and there are a number of programs that if they did not take IMG's, then they'd have no residents.

Also, allow me if I may to offer my personal opinon about IMG's that I have worked with in the past, especially some who have been residency trained in other countries. They may not always be as sharp as US grads but are very hard working, hungry to learn, and are not as arrogant or condescending. As far as getting into top notch programs??? Again, even top nothc programs sometimes hurt for good US applicants, and these IMG's must be the best of the best IMG's.

5. doctorlarry

doctorlarry Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Not at all...I wonder why they have to do residency and fellowship all over again. I thought all they needed to do was pass the boards...and then practice. If they rocked the step exams and have superb CV's, why do they even need or want to go through the training process again in the US? Seems redundant. Enlighten me.

6. Museless

Museless Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Don't quote me on this - but I think board certification requires x months of US residency training.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. skeedo

skeedo Junior Member

Attending Physician

Not quite true . I know of several guys how have jumped from one speciality to another e.g from IM to General Surgery. Or OBGYN to psych.

8. NR117

NR117 Member
    7+ Year Member

Most specialties will only accept US or Canadian residency training to be board eligible. I think there may be some (e.g. radiology) that will consider an IMG board eligible if they have spent a certain number of years working as an attending - don't quote me on that though.

9. NR117

NR117 Member
    7+ Year Member

How interesting...Have you ever worked in a country where the official language was not your mother tongue? Did you feel like you had complete command of the language, with all its subtleties? The language issue aside, in many different (non-North American) cultures humility is considered a virtue, as you rightly pointed out in your post. Unfortunately this is all too often interpreted as ignorance, or just plain stupidity in our confidence/arrogance driven culture where style wins over substance.