Neurology residency - What my goal should be?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Orestis

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Good morning people,

I am a medical student from Europe that started studying for Step 1 some weeks ago. I will like to do my residency in neurology in a good hospital where I can have some good research opportunities as I want to combine hospital and research. I know that getting in the very best hospitals it's almost impossible but I do not really know hard it is to join a good one. For example I see that IMGs that matched neurology have step 1 and step 2 scores somewhere around 230-235. Is there a way to find out some extra info?
I know that hospitals check the overall performance of a candidate(USA clinical experience, previous work, research etc.) but apart of 4 years of research(while still being a medical student), some weeks of clinical rotations in USA(haven't done it yet) and maybe a year of research in US I won't have any else to add in my CV.