This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Neuropsych_Applicant

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Some background first: I am undergraduate going through the graduate school application process. I would ideally like to obtain a PhD in clinical psychology (with an emphasis in clinical neuropsychology) and then pursue a faculty position in clinical neuropsychology. I have been fortunate enough to obtain 2 interviews with PhD programs (Iowa and Florida if it helps). Each has a neuropsychology specialty track and faculty with clinical np research interests. However, one is a clinical science program that emphasizes research while the other is an equal emphasis program. As I mentioned previously, my ideal career would be one in which I could conduct neuropsychological research (in a university-hospital or otherwise).

I have to neuropsych career questions at the moment:

(1) What is the outlook for faculty positions (i.e. job openings and salaries) in clinical neuropsychology compared to a more clinically focused career in clinical neuropsychology (e.g. in a hospital setting)?

(2) Would a clinical science program benefit me significantly more than an equal emphasis program in pursuing my goals? If so, how?

Thank you for any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Re: (1) as in any field within clinical psychology there will always be many more clinically focused positions than faculty jobs. Clinical positions usually offer higher compensation.

The answer to (2) is it depends. Yes, a clinical science training program would probably prepare you well for an academic career, but you really need to look at the specific neuropsych faculty who would train you. Where do their graduates end up? You should be able to get a sense of how much trainees are publishing, where they are getting internships/postdocs, and where they are landing their first jobs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: (1) as in any field within clinical psychology there will always be more many clinically focused positions than faculty jobs. Clinical positions usually offer higher compensation.

The answer to (2) is it depends. Yes, a clinical science training program would probably prepare you well for an academic career, but you really need to look at the specific neuropsych faculty who would train you. Where do their graduates end up? You should be able to get a sense of how much trainees are publishing, where they are getting internships/postdocs, and where they are landing their first jobs.
+1 although a caveat for #1 is that (and probably why mamaphd said "usually") is that some of the salary outliers are heavy hitter researchers at AMCs. They have a high ceiling salary wise. Moreover, some research gigs let you supplement your income outside with other work. Not necessarily on the K grant path but there are ways to make money outside of your day to day.

My experience has been that the research emphasis of the program is less of a factor (assuming there is one at all) than your desire to be involved. If you seek out and make research a part of your training, then it will be a part of your graduate experience. This point is particularly true in institutions that are well known for strong R1 programs.