This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pubhealthlover

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm a rising second year at UVA and I have a tough decision to make before the school year begins. I have all of the necessary classes needed to declare either a neuroscience major or a biology major, with the exception of one course for the neuroscience major and 2 semesters of gen bio for the bio major.

If I choose to finish pre-reqs for neuroscience, then I will have to take an upper level biology class (or a neuro psychology class, I can choose which one I want to take), along with gen bio and orgo in the upcoming fall semester. I don't know if it's a good idea to take them all at once.

However, if I choose to go with a biology major, then I just have to stick with gen bio and orgo, and two other classes of my choice.

Do you guys have any advice for what I should do? Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

as a recently graduated Hoo, here are my thoughts:

-in terms of getting into med school, it makes absolutely no difference which one you major in. they're both fine

-I took orgo and gen bio at the same time and it was hell, especially since the classes tend to run on the same schedule so that you always end up with the midterms during the same week, and sometimes within 24 hrs of each other. adding another upper level science would've probably killed me. now, professors and courses have changed some since then and you might be way smarter than me, but I would tread carefully here if you want to protect your gpa. if neuroscience is like, the love of your life and your one true passion, go for it, but if you feel meh about both then it might not be worth putting yourself through the wringer this year.

-research wise, you should be able to get involved in a lab through either major. if you do pick neuro, i think some of the upper levels for it are several research for credit classes that might be able to pad out your gpa a little if it takes a hit this year.

-lastly, you still need to apply for neuro, correct? have you spoken to any advisors or older students in the major to make sure that you'll be competitive before you go through with finishing the prereqs? the major is very small.

basically, I'd evaluate how much you love either major, really look through the rest of the classes for them to see what your next couple years will be like, and try to talk to some people currently in them if you can

as a recently graduated Hoo, here are my thoughts:

-in terms of getting into med school, it makes absolutely no difference which one you major in. they're both fine

-I took orgo and gen bio at the same time and it was hell, especially since the classes tend to run on the same schedule so that you always end up with the midterms during the same week, and sometimes within 24 hrs of each other. adding another upper level science would've probably killed me. now, professors and courses have changed some since then and you might be way smarter than me, but I would tread carefully here if you want to protect your gpa. if neuroscience is like, the love of your life and your one true passion, go for it, but if you feel meh about both then it might not be worth putting yourself through the wringer this year.

-research wise, you should be able to get involved in a lab through either major. if you do pick neuro, i think some of the upper levels for it are several research for credit classes that might be able to pad out your gpa a little if it takes a hit this year.

-lastly, you still need to apply for neuro, correct? have you spoken to any advisors or older students in the major to make sure that you'll be competitive before you go through with finishing the prereqs? the major is very small.

basically, I'd evaluate how much you love either major, really look through the rest of the classes for them to see what your next couple years will be like, and try to talk to some people currently in them if you can

Thank you for all of your advice! I had never considered neuroscience until this summer because I have been shadowing the neuro dept at the hospital and became very interested. Also, you are right - the neuroscience major only takes up to 25 every year, so that's why I'm nervous to take the upper level bio along with my other science classes. I know one person who also just graduated, and they might be tell me if I'm competitive enough to apply.
Would you mind if I messaged you? I would really appreciate it if you could help me with some other premed questions. Thank you again for all of your help!

Thank you for all of your advice! I had never considered neuroscience until this summer because I have been shadowing the neuro dept at the hospital and became very interested. Also, you are right - the neuroscience major only takes up to 25 every year, so that's why I'm nervous to take the upper level bio along with my other science classes. I know one person who also just graduated, and they might be tell me if I'm competitive enough to apply.
Would you mind if I messaged you? I would really appreciate it if you could help me with some other premed questions. Thank you again for all of your help!

sure!