Neurosurgery IMG and research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureDocUS

Reaction score
Hi guys, I’m kind of new to this forum but I thought I’d give it a shot.
I just finished my second year of medical school and thank God passed Step 1. I go to an IMG school that is well known (not Caribbean) and has a near 100% match rate in the US each year. I have always been super interested in neurosurgery, neuroscience was my thing from undergrad, but I am scared about not matching and matching but then hating my life after.
I have been involved in research, and currently have 4 publications already in press, 4 that have been submitted and are awaiting publication, and many many more (about 10-15 in total) that are nearly ready to be submitted, ranging from simple letters to the editor to first author studies. Grades-wise, I think I am average, but may be in the lower half of ranking in my class. I also worked as a medical assistant in a neurosurgery department near my school.
Besides for coming from an IMG school, I have another discrepancy on my future application. My school offers the NBME comprehensive exam as a practice exam before Step 1. Their policy is that anybody who fails this exam must take a year off from school as an “extended study year” and retake the exam the following year. Unfortunately, due to personal reasons, I failed the exam that day. I still felt ready for the real exam (I failed the NBME for personal reasons that I prefer not to get into here), and I took Step 1 not long after and passed, so I’m hoping residency programs see that it was just a fluke in my academic performance and not a lack of knowledge. About 20% of my class also failed that exam, a huge amount of people that the school has never seen before, so there could have been a component of the exam involved there too. Regardless, I still have to take a year off to study for the practice NBME next year (I know it doesn’t make sense since I passed Step 1 already, but oh well). Fortunately, since I am highly considering neurosurgery, I plan on using this year as my research year instead of taking a year after M3. My failed comprehensive exam will show up on my transcript, however.
Now that I am on a research year (sort of), I am wondering whether or not I should give all my effort towards neurosurgery. My chances of matching are slim, and they’re even slimmer after my failed comprehensive exam. I am scared to devote this year solely to neurosurgery and then apply to a different specialty, and then have to explain why all of my research was neuro-related. I briefly considered potentially going the ENT or general surgery route (I’m inclined towards more procedural/surgical specialties, especially neuro-related or similar).
If anyone has recommendations for how to proceed, ways to make my resume/application more competitive, or other residencies that people who switched from neurosurgery have liked I’d greatly appreciate it. Thank you all in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Near 100% match rate is impressive. How does your school usually do in competitive specialties like neurosurgery? How do below average students from your school do?

I think that's where you should be setting your sights, because that's where you are (bottom half of your class, and bottom 20% on the NBME), your impressive publication list notwithstanding. Wishing it away is only going to lead to heartache and disappointment later. What do your advisors think?

Reactions: 1 users
Near 100% match rate is impressive. How does your school usually do in competitive specialties like neurosurgery? How do below average students from your school do?

I think that's where you should be setting your sights, because that's where you are (bottom half of your class, and bottom 20% on the NBME), your impressive publication list notwithstanding. Wishing it away is only going to lead to heartache and disappointment later. What do your advisors think?
My school isn’t bad in terms of competitive specialties, but not many end up applying. We usually get 1-2 top specialty matches (ENT, derm, orthopedic surgery, etc.) and 3-4 general surgery too, but not a large percentage apply to competitive specialties.
My advisors have beeb very unhelpful. My school is known for having a bad administration that doesn’t help the students, unfortunately.

Members don't see this ad :)
My school isn’t bad in terms of competitive specialties, but not many end up applying. We usually get 1-2 top specialty matches (ENT, derm, orthopedic surgery, etc.) and 3-4 general surgery too, but not a large percentage apply to competitive specialties.
My advisors have beeb very unhelpful. My school is known for having a bad administration that doesn’t help the students, unfortunately.
I'm very sorry to hear that. Obviously, it doesn't look good based on the numbers and where you presently stand in the class, but you won't know for sure until you take your shot. I'd definitely advise having a less competitive backup.

Hi guys, I’m kind of new to this forum but I thought I’d give it a shot.
I just finished my second year of medical school and thank God passed Step 1. I go to an IMG school that is well known (not Caribbean) and has a near 100% match rate in the US each year. I have always been super interested in neurosurgery, neuroscience was my thing from undergrad, but I am scared about not matching and matching but then hating my life after.
I have been involved in research, and currently have 4 publications already in press, 4 that have been submitted and are awaiting publication, and many many more (about 10-15 in total) that are nearly ready to be submitted, ranging from simple letters to the editor to first author studies. Grades-wise, I think I am average, but may be in the lower half of ranking in my class. I also worked as a medical assistant in a neurosurgery department near my school.
Besides for coming from an IMG school, I have another discrepancy on my future application. My school offers the NBME comprehensive exam as a practice exam before Step 1. Their policy is that anybody who fails this exam must take a year off from school as an “extended study year” and retake the exam the following year. Unfortunately, due to personal reasons, I failed the exam that day. I still felt ready for the real exam (I failed the NBME for personal reasons that I prefer not to get into here), and I took Step 1 not long after and passed, so I’m hoping residency programs see that it was just a fluke in my academic performance and not a lack of knowledge. About 20% of my class also failed that exam, a huge amount of people that the school has never seen before, so there could have been a component of the exam involved there too. Regardless, I still have to take a year off to study for the practice NBME next year (I know it doesn’t make sense since I passed Step 1 already, but oh well). Fortunately, since I am highly considering neurosurgery, I plan on using this year as my research year instead of taking a year after M3. My failed comprehensive exam will show up on my transcript, however.
Now that I am on a research year (sort of), I am wondering whether or not I should give all my effort towards neurosurgery. My chances of matching are slim, and they’re even slimmer after my failed comprehensive exam. I am scared to devote this year solely to neurosurgery and then apply to a different specialty, and then have to explain why all of my research was neuro-related. I briefly considered potentially going the ENT or general surgery route (I’m inclined towards more procedural/surgical specialties, especially neuro-related or similar).
If anyone has recommendations for how to proceed, ways to make my resume/application more competitive, or other residencies that people who switched from neurosurgery have liked I’d greatly appreciate it. Thank you all in advance!
Just an FYI, ENT is as competitive as neurosurgery. Based on you being an IMG, failed exam, lower half ranking of your class, it will be a big hurdle to match any of the uber competitive specialities ( Neurosurgery,ENT, plastics, etc.). I'm not saying it is impossible, but you should be realistic and decide before you start doing research in any one discipline that may not help and waste your time. I would speak to your school advisers, research the data on matched applicants, see where you are with step 2, etc.

I never want to stifle anyone's dreams, but I also think you have to know whether the chance of matching a competitive speciality is real or not, based on what your application may look like.

Best of luck to you.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

4 publications is pretty meh. Many people submit or have things in process that don't go anywhere (from firsthand experience). Even if OP hits 10, it's still average, if possibly below average for neurosurgery. An IMG should hit at least 20.

OP, here are the 2021 nsg stats from this website Top IMG Friendly Specialties of 2021 Residency Match | Match A Resident.

If you think you can be of the 6 US IMGs to match into neurosurgery, then you should apply. Places like Barrow, Hopkins, UCSF won't consider you but the bottom tier programs will. You can also apply to gen surg and nsg simultaneously if you wish but that's a pain when it comes to letters.

Screen Shot 2022-08-10 at 5.23.16 PM.png

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users