Nevada to be 11th Dental Therapist State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cold Front

Supreme Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So this is the future of dentistry. 11 dental therapist states in 9 years. At this rate, all states will have a dental therapists in 20-30 years.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Any experience on how this is affecting general dentists in these states? Are mid levels becoming employees doing bread and butter while allowing their employer gps to focus on specialty procedures? Or are they displacing gps in the corporate setting? Something else maybe?

Members don't see this ad :)
Any experience on how this is affecting general dentists in these states? Are mid levels becoming employees doing bread and butter while allowing their employer gps to focus on specialty procedures? Or are they displacing gps in the corporate setting? Something else maybe?
To quote the article - it “wouldn’t actually meet the needs of underserved communities and could contribute to the corporatization of dental practices.”

So corporate dentistry are having hard time filling position in rural areas, so now they have the opportunity to use therapists and do everything a hygienist can do, plus all the basic bread and butter general dentistry procedures. General dentists have refused or have not being well incentivized to work in rural areas - so this is what happens. Oral surgeons and Endodontists travel to rural areas due to cities being saturated, but general dentists have not reached that level yet.

"The amendment also makes a number of other changes, including requiring a supervising dentist conduct a monthly review of the dental therapists they are overseeing and clarifying that dental therapists may not provide any services that are outside the scope of their authorizing dentist."

A MONTHLY review? MONTHLY? How is that supervision at all?

Many states and/or countries where mid levels have been implemented have seen very little effect. In Minnesota, where the dental therapist law was passed 10 years ago, there are currently only about 80 therapists practicing in the state vs about 3000 dentists.

If a state passes DT legislation, and it may potentially happen in my home state of CT within the next week or so depending on which part of my states budget bill it may or may not get attached to if at all, then it's impossible for any immediate effect to take place. You need to have an educational institution with the desire to start a DT program, work to make sure that before the 1st class of DT's would enroll that the program has received preliminary CODA (Committee of Dental Accreditation) certification for the curriculum (just like any dental school has to do), then attract the faculty, build the facilities, and then begin enrolling a class. Most DT educational models call for a 4 years program (there are some models looking at a 6 year Master Level program) before the DT's can gradate. Given that it typically takes about 2 years to develop a curriculum, build the facilities, attract the faculty and get the preliminary CODA accreditation, it's at least a 6, if not 8 year process to get the 1st class of DT's though schooling and out into patient treatment.

The next thing to consider, is in some states, the DT legislation has specific clauses attached to it that states that a DT can only practice in a public health setting, this negating the potential for corporate chains to employ DT's (that is part of the proposed legislation in my home state of CT). Also, in some stets and countries where DT's have been in place for some time now, what is being seen is that the intention of the legislation to put DT's in rural settings only isn't holding up, as DT's, where they can, tend to migrate back to a more suburban or urban setting for their own quality of life desires.

The last thing that seems to be lost on the legislators who may or may not choose to pass DT legislation is the educational cost and then the expected salary that a DT would need to command to pay for the educational costs and how that can play into the situation, especially if it is a public health setting. 4 to 6 years of educational expenses, depending on where the school is that would be educating a DT is a particular state, and whether it's a private or public school, as we all know can add up to 100K to potentially 250k+ in educational costs depending on the parameters of the program. Your going to be looking at a group of students whom upon graduation will be expecting a 6 figure salary from day 1. If that is solely in a public health setting, you may very well see situations where some of the finite pool of state and federal funds that are allocated for dental care for the poor, are going to be going not to direct patient care costs, but to pay for the providers above and beyond current percentages, thus in effect decreasing the potential total amount of care given based on costs.

There is not question that a properly trained DT can do competent clinical work. A properly trained DT can't however do a procedure for less overhead costs than a dentist can. Most dentists can also do the procedures at a more rapid pace and more types of procedures than a DT can, thus adding to the more efficient costs that a dentist can delivery care at vs a DT.

The groups behind pushing DT legislation use the effective lobbying tactic to our legislators about making a DT seem to be the end all to the "access to care" problem for the "underserved". In reality it's not about lack of access to care for most, it's about lack of access to "free" care, and that's an entirely different question. And that's not something that any amount of DT's are going to "fix". DT's are coming to more and more states in the not to distant future, DT's though won't solve any "access" problem, DT's will add another level of costs to the care delivery structure. DT's won't be around in anything resembling an appreciable number most anywhere in decades, if ever unless some drastic changes to how dental care is delivered happens

Reactions: 2 users
If a state passes DT legislation, and it may potentially happen in my home state of CT within the next week or so
So CT will be 12th DT state soon, that’s incredible. I hear WI is very close to passing a DT bill too - 64 out of 72 of their counties face dental shortages (over 1 million people).

I noticed more than half of the states that approved DT to practice in their states joined the DT Nation within the last 6-12 months, so the momentum is high right now. There are probably couple of dozen or more other states that have introduced DT legislations and circulating in their state houses. Medicine had their fair share of this with nurse practitioners.

The ADA reported in 2015 that dental ER visits doubled from 1.1 million in 2000 to 2.2 million in 2012, or one visit every 15 seconds. Many of those ER visits are in rural areas, so DT lobbyists use these statistics and push lawmakers to take action and allow DT’s before ER costs get out of control.

In my home state, OH, the Medicaid program allows dentists to be reimbursed for tobacco cessation consultation. Dentists have always explained to patients risks associated with smoking as part of their comprehensive exam, but out of the blue - a study came out that adult Medicaid population smokers doubled within 5 years, and about 15% of Medicaid costs were attributed to smoking. So, what does the state do? Let’s pay Medicaid providers (including dentists) a fee (about $30-40 per patient, limited to 2 consultations a year) to control this rising smoke related costs. We see about 60 adult Medicaid patients a day between my offices, about half of them smoke - and I doubt majority if not all of them will stop smoking. As I said earlier, whether it’s ER dental visits, or smoking related cost eating up government Medicaid budget, the government doesn’t always make the best and sensible choices to overhaul the system and save money in the long term.

Reactions: 1 user
So CT will be 12th DT state soon, that’s incredible. I hear WI is very close to passing a DT bill too - 64 out of 72 of their counties face dental shortages (over 1 million people).

It's still a to be determined situation in CT this year with DT legislation. The bill cleared the public health committee for the 1st time ever. The question is now in the next 7 days before state law ends this legislative session will it or won't it get attached to a bill that passes our House and Senate and gets signed into law? That is still very much up in the air right now as there's a slew of uncertainty about many bills that at some point need to be resolved to get my home states bi-annual budget passed. If it's not voted on and passed with roughly the next week before the legislative session ends, then no DT legislation will be enacted in CT starting this year.

Prior to this year, DT legislation, while proposed basically every year for the last decade or so, had never made it out of the public health committee, so this year is different in that respect.

One of my colleagues at the FQHC office we work at has worked with DTs in Minnesota. Her experience with them is that they tend to get really good at the limited tasks they perform or they focus on a particular age group. For example, one might be good at doing fillings on kids so they would be a good person to pass those patients onto. I see this as a win, frankly. I hate doing fillings on kids, so if I'm looking to hire a DT, I look for one who enjoys that and has made their focus to be good at that particular subset of patients and procedures and it makes my life so much easier.

As baby boomer dentists retire, the case for DT will go stronger, specially outside urban areas. I also think the cost and tuition to train dentists versus DTs may vary significantly, specially if DTs are getting loan forgivenesses for practicing at areas the laws restricts them to practice. Dentists only qualify for Loan forgiveness programs through certain programs (not automatic), but DT’s are automatically getting loan forgivenesses because they will be limited to shortage areas anyways - from what most states have approved recently. Nevada wants DTs in shortage areas only, and bars them from working in urban areas. So, do you become a dentist with $400-700k in student loans with limited positions at FQHC, or do you become a DT with a $100-200k in student loans and guaranteed job position that comes with 100% loan forgiveness? That will be on many pre-dental and pre-DT students’ minds for sure.