Never Forget 9/11/01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

holler79

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to drop in to ask everyone to take some time today to remember all the victims of last year's terrorist attacks and their families and to most of all to hope & pray for peace.

I think all of us have been changed in some way during the past year. I know the events of the past year have made my desire to become a physician even stronger.

My thoughts are with all of you throughout this period of remembrance.

Be safe and strong!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Some pretty amazing poetry came out of the first World War. I like this one alot. Shame how little has changed...

"Aftermath" by Siegfried Sassoon

HAVE you forgotten yet?...

For the world's events have rumbled on since those gagged days,

Like traffic checked a while at the crossing of city ways:

And the haunted gap in your mind has filled with thoughts that flow

Like clouds in the lit heavens of life; and you're a man reprieved to go,

Taking your peaceful share of Time, with joy to spare.

But the past is just the same,and War's a bloody game....

Have you forgotten yet?...

Look down, and swear by the slain of the War that you'll never forget.

Do you remember the dark months you held the sector at Mametz,?

The nights you watched and wired and dug and piled sandbags on parapets?

Do you remember the rats; and the stench

Of corpses rotting in front of the front-line trench,?

And dawn coming, dirty-white, and chill with a hopeless rain?

Do you ever stop and ask, "Is it all going to happen again?"

Do you remember that hour of din before the attack,?

And the anger, the blind compassion that seized and shook you then

As you peered at the doomed and haggard faces of your men?

Do you remember the stretcher-cases lurching back

With dying eyes and lolling heads, those ashen-grey

Masks of the lads who once were keen and kind and gay?

Have you forgotten yet?...

Look up, and swear by the green of the Spring that you'll never forget.

I think this thread is definitely something that should have had more feedback today. Although I was not directly affected by what happened one year ago, I do have many friends who knew others who were deeply hurt the events of September 11th. I know it sounds dumb but for the last three months i have been so crazy about applying to medical school and thought my world would end if I didn't get into medical school.

Well after coming back to reality, and bursting my own bubble, I have come to realize how insignificant some of my troubles and my friends troubles are. Although I don't want anyone to have to live a life in which they are constantly depressed I do want to lead a life in which I can give back some way to others. Truthfully, I do not think 9/11 made me want to be a physician anymore than my freshman biology class, but it did make me start thinking more about what is important. I don't know how everyone else feels and I do not want this to be some lame sermon. I just needed to say this to someone and I thought this was the right audience.

I don't even know if anyone else feels a similar way, but i would like to get the point across that maybe sometimes we are all a little to high strung about ourselves and although we are all entering a profession in which we will undoubtedly help mankind, it seems like we needed to take a step back today. I know I have.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with you Crazy, and I think if you would have posted this same thread in the Everyone forum or even the Lounge, you would have had a bigger response. Why? because when people come to PreAllo, they usually have something important on their mind to pen down (or post) or read. I personally saw your post a few times but didn't even have the time to read it because whatever was on my mind would have escaped me.

In any case, I hardly think that the number of posts here is representative of how other people feel. I believe that over 90 percent of the SDN regulars (note: I said REGULARS because those are the only people I am truly "acquainted" with) are compassionate, empathetic and warm individuals who have probably contemplated the events of 9/11 in their minds more than once today. Don't mistake their lack of posting as a sign of their lack of concern.

I hope everybody who reads this message sends some good thoughts out to the families and friends who lost their loved ones last year.

Originally posted by Tweetie_bird
In any case, I hardly think that the number of posts here is representative of how other people feel. I believe that over 90 percent of the SDN regulars (note: I said REGULARS because those are the only people I am truly "acquainted" with) are compassionate, empathetic and warm individuals who have probably contemplated the events of 9/11 in their minds more than once today. Don't mistake their lack of posting as a sign of their lack of concern.

I hope everybody who reads this message sends some good thoughts out to the families and friends who lost their loved ones last year.

Tweetie is right, the numbers of posts on this thread is not representative of how most of us feel about 9/11. It has personally touched my life significantly and just thinking and seeing it on TV still gives me goosebumps. I get teary-eyed everytime I see family members holding up pictures of the loved ones they lost. It doesn't have to be Sept. 11th for me to think about the thousands of people who lost their lives, these thoughts are with me throughout the year.

Originally posted by Tweetie_bird
I agree with you Crazy, and I think if you would have posted this same thread in the Everyone forum or even the Lounge, you would have had a bigger response.

There actually is a 9/11 thread in the Lounge that has a few pages of memories and thoughts for anyone who's interested ...

Of course, one of our responsibilities as people of this nation is to learn more about why such terrorist acts were committed. This should not be forgotten. I prey for the dead, innocent lives. But let us not turn our backs away from the roots of such problems, in order to prevent further acts of terror again.

I agree that this thread did not receive the amount of attention that it deserved, especially today. I was personally affected by 9/11, as I lost two of my closest friends in the collapse of the South Tower. That day will forever haunt me, as it will many of us. I went to the Yankee game tonight and I must say that the memorial tribute was beautiful. May all those who passed away rest in peace. God Bless.- Ryan

Some of you really missed the point of my thread. I did not post this 9/11 remembrance to throw it in anyone's face. I know you are compassionate people--why else would you chose medicine. I just know that for myself I will personally never be the same. My brother thankfully escaped the South Tower physically unharmed and my best friend also escaped. Blazed, my heart goes out to you...I pray for the souls of you lost friends.

I also feel that when I get depressed or angry about this whole med school process, I realize people are suffering much more. The events of 9/11/01 have been sort of an anchor for me to pull me back when I go astray. I just wanted to post a remembrance to put things into perspective yesterday when "How should I wear my hair for an interview??" questions may not seem as important.

All's I'm saying is don't sweat the small stuff.:)

God Bless.

Holler,
I just wanted to say thanks for posting it up.