NEVER had a BF/GF

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What applies to you?

• Never had a BOYFRIEND, haven't found anyone worthy.

Votes: 25 8.0%
  • Never had a BOYFRIEND, afraid of negative impact on grades

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Never had a GIRLFREIND, haven't found anyone worthy

Votes: 38 12.2%
  • Never had a GIRLFRIEND, afraid of negative impact on grades

Votes: 13 4.2%
  • HAVE BEEN IN RELATIONSHIPS

Votes: 233 74.9%

• Total voters

cystapharm

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many of you have never had a bf/gf because you didn't want to let a relationship interfere with pre-med education?

I just know this guy and I think he is super hot but he has never had a gf and I feel so bad! What a waste of a cute face and hot body. I want him so bad lol if only he knew.

So yah I know a few people with 4.0 GPAs that refrain from having gfs/bfs. Are any of you here one of them?

Members don't see this ad.

Troll_Alert_1a.gif

I cut out of relationships a little while ago..

Definitely don't mind dating, but I just can't find the time to steadily date. My thought is that I'd hurt the girl because I keep myself so busy with so many things.

Members don't see this ad :)
i had one for two years- then MCAT time came. Youd be surprised how poorly someone takes it when you tell them that a test is just a little more important then their feelings, haha

if anybody thinks that a significant other will interfere with being pre-med, they're doomed for a very lonely life. it only gets harder from there on out.

forfeiting relationships for the sake of a GPA is just sad...

you can have an awesome GPA and remain in contact with the outside world. as far as having bf/gf, you just need to let them know you spend a lot of time studying or doing whatever it is you do. if they cant handle that then they aren't the right person for you. its totally unnecessary to sacrifice all of your relationships for a high gpa....and actually kind of sad. one of the main reasons i think i have done well is my social support and the relationshipos i have my with friends and loved ones at school.

if anybody thinks that a significant other will interfere with being pre-med, they're doomed for a very lonely life. it only gets harder from there on out.

Not really.
I am not the case, but I know of others who date casually but don't get into relationships. It's not the actual time spent together that would hurt your gpa, it's the emotional involvement and the ups and downs of being in a relationship. I've seen relationships destroy GPAs as well as make them. It depends on the individual.

So forfeiting romantic relationships for the sake of GPA is not necessarily sad. Forfeiting human contact however, is.

This thread reminds me of that Family Guy episode where Peter swears off girls and becomes extrememly successful.

then he went on to have sexual relationships with a bagle

i had one for two years- then MCAT time came. Youd be surprised how poorly someone takes it when you tell them that a test is just a little more important then their feelings, haha

Who would say something like that? If you can't juggle a relationship and the MCAT then you're in for a rude awakening, because it doesn't get any easier...

actually isn't life harder when you are pre-med than med? the hardest part is getting in.

Members don't see this ad :)
You probably should have had at least one bf/gf before even getting to college, but even if you didn't, avoiding relationships just because you're premed means you should probably meet my friend here:

NRT%20Tokyo%20-%20Shinkansen%20bullet%20train%20in%20Tokyo%20Station%203008x2000.jpg

I didn't get into a real serious relationship until right before college ended and my grades were pretty well in hand. Mind you, that wasn't on purpose, I'm just really awkward.

actually isn't life harder when you are pre-med than med? the hardest part is getting in.

I know that's everybody's favorite saying, but I imagine your perspective (I say "your" in a general sense) will change once you get into med school/residency. studying 15 hours a day for exams or working 80 hours a week isn't what I would classify as "easy." I would say that for most people, they'll have a lot more available time for dating in college than they will later on.

I had a girlfriend as a senior who was a couple of years younger than I. After some time I realized that she was just using me to tutor her through physics. I feel dirty just thinking about it.

I had a girlfriend as a senior who was a couple of years younger than I. After some time I realized that she was just using me to tutor her through physics. I feel dirty just thinking about it.

I'd tutor for tail... Were you at least getting some?

I'd tutor for tail... Were you at least getting some?

you'd tutor for tail? i've suddenly become suspicious about the relationship between you and the animal in your avatar..... :eek:

just kidding.

you'd tutor for tail? i've suddenly become suspicious about the relationship between you and the animal in your avatar..... :eek:

just kidding.

:rofl:

How many of you have never had a bf/gf because you didn't want to let a relationship interfere with pre-med education?

I just know this guy and I think he is super hot but he has never had a gf and I feel so bad! What a waste of a cute face and hot body. I want him so bad lol if only he knew.

So yah I know a few people with 4.0 GPAs that refrain from having gfs/bfs. Are any of you here one of them?

I am not sure you have seen most of these students with 4.0 GPAs. Having a bf/gf is not even an option in most cases.

Never had a gf because the sex is better without any strings attached....add that to the poll options.

Never had a gf because the sex is better without any strings attached....add that to the poll options.

iono... I hear some people like using a lot of stuff like strings, ropes, whips...

I dated people during college who weren't pre-meds...and it wasn't a question of them being upset that I studied a lot. It was annoying, however, when they would constantly question why I had to work hard and point out that the application process was insane. Also, I hated it when they would use the pre-med stereotype to judge my personality, even though I would hardly say that I am a token pre-med. Most people take one look at me and say, "Anthro major?"

I also dated someone this past year who was going through their first year of med school (I was a senior undergrad at the same university). He was insane about getting Honors and making sure he studied 24/7 for a week before an exam. If he wasn't that obsessed and okay with being in the top 10% instead of the top 1%, he would have had an hour or two every day to spend time with me. But most of my time was spent bringing him food, calming him down, etc. etc. It got old pretty quickly. He just broke up with me a month or so ago, claiming religious differences, but it turned out that he didn't want the distraction of a girlfriend this upcoming year.

the threads those days really stress the importance for SDN to launch its own dating serivce, SDNdate, seriously, it could be a good idea, at least it'll be more familiar for most prehealth people.

the threads those days really stress the importance for SDN to launch its own dating serivce, SDNdate, seriously, it could be a good idea, at least it'll be more familiar for most prehealth people.

I second that idea.:D

Med School advice and dating at the same time! Yay for multitasking.

Med School advice and dating at the same time! Yay for multitasking.

so how about some design ideas? I think the interface should be clean like MDapplicant, hell, it should have the same data as MDapplicant and just use personal statement instead of the fruity "describe yourself" section. Who needs a self-describtion when you have your MCAT and GPA?

I think an Mdapplicant style site will allow people to easily search their knight in shining armor or maxim chicks in bikini, think about it, want your SO to have a GPA around 3.5-3.6 and put in 200 hrs of clinical service? You can search for them!

Keeping good grades and a significant other can be difficult. A lot of us young folk don't exactly make the best choices when it comes to picking partners so you are very likely to end up with an incompatible person. This leads to a lot of emotional strain that can easily make your grades slip.

All that being said, you have to balance out what you want. There is no substitute for learning how to be a good person without going out and interacting with people.

Sure, you may not be able to keep a 4.0, but you'll feel more whole knowing that you're learning some much needed social skills. If you can get your foot in the door with your GPA/MCAT, your social skills can help with your interview.

I had never really met any worthwhile girls until this past year, and we've been happily together ever since. It works out especially well because we're both pretty nerdy in our own respects (i.e., she wants to pursue dentistry and is a NASA fangirl :D), so we both get along really well and understand each other's need to study and do schoolwork. I can definitely see this relationship lasting for quite a while, and I really hope it does. She's great. :love:

I had never really met any worthwhile girls until this past year, and we've been happily together ever since. It works out especially well because we're both pretty nerdy in our own respects (i.e., she wants to pursue dentistry and is a NASA fangirl :D), so we both get along really well and understand each other's need to study and do schoolwork. I can definitely see this relationship lasting for quite a while, and I really hope it does. She's great. :love:

Oh high school relationships... that takes me back :)

it can be done.

priorities and discipline.