New dental school: California Northstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pinwheeels

MWU-AZ c/o 2023
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
There is a new dental school opening up - California Northstate University is opening their application portal directly on their site (not AADSAS) for the inaugural class on Aug 1st. They will begin classes in Fall 2021. It seems they were expecting to open Fall 2020, but Covid prevented CODA from making any more site visits this year.

I’m curious who would be brave to apply to the inaugural class of this school? The deans seem to be well accomplished with experience from schools such as UCSF, UoP, UPenn, and the Dean who opened MWU-AZ is also their new Assistant Dean.

The most recent schools to have graduated their inaugural classes with full accreditation were UNE and Touro. Does anyone on here know if any incentive such as a tuition discount was offered to the inaugural classes of these schools? Would many applicants be willing to apply to the “guinea pig class” especially if a discount is offered? Even if not, I would imagine this would still make a great safety school this year. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I would look into the issues they had when they opened their medical school a couple years ago. There are a few threads on SDN that go into it.

For profit school. Didn’t accept federal loans, only private. Supposedly were trying to cut as many corner as possible but staying just within the bounds to not lose accreditation. Money issues. Doesn’t sound great IMO.

that being said, that was all before the school had its first two classes take boards (had high average scores), and supposedly is doing ok??

Id be a little wary of being in the first class, but it’ll likely turn out fine

Reactions: 2 users
They will fill their seats. Some pre dent students will give anything for an acceptance to any dental school even if it’s new. I’m willing to bet they would fill their seats even if they charged 170k/yr.

• Wow
Reactions: 13 users
Members don't see this ad :)
They will fill their seats. Some pre dent students will give anything for an acceptance to any dental school even if it’s new. I’m willing to bet they would fill their seats even if they charged 170k/yr.
Been looking at the college of medicine match list, and they had decent placement, so they likely ironed out the major issues. I also think that they are med school integrated for basic sciences and systems based on their site. It’ll be interesting to see how it goes

Reactions: 1 users
I would look into the issues they had when they opened their medical school a couple years ago. There are a few threads on SDN that go into it.

For profit school. Didn’t accept federal loans, only private. Supposedly were trying to cut as many corner as possible but staying just within the bounds to not lose accreditation. Money issues. Doesn’t sound great IMO.

that being said, that was all before the school had its first two classes take boards (had high average scores), and supposedly is doing ok??

Wouldn’t this be like comparing apples to oranges though? The people who opened the med school are a different group of people opening the dental school. I would certainly question if they will accept federal loans if I were an applicant.

They really haven’t posted a lot on the vision of the school like what clinic will look like in D3/4 years. They seem to be focused right now on the didactic curriculum. I would want to know this the most as a deciding applicant. When I interviewed at Touro, the inaugural class were D3’s and hadn’t yet started their clinic in Dec - they voted for a little more time in Sim before starting on patients. But they all graduated on time in the end (even with Covid) and placed into residencies (since NY doesn’t require a state board, just one year of residency to license).

There is a new dental school opening up - California Northstate University is opening their application portal directly on their site (not AADSAS) for the inaugural class on Aug 1st. They will begin classes in Fall 2021. It seems they were expecting to open Fall 2020, but Covid prevented CODA from making any more site visits this year.

I’m curious who would be brave to apply to the inaugural class of this school? The deans seem to be well accomplished with experience from schools such as UCSF, UoP, UPenn, and the Dean who opened MWU-AZ is also their new Assistant Dean.

The most recent schools to have graduated their inaugural classes with full accreditation were UNE and Touro. Does anyone on here know if any incentive such as a tuition discount was offered to the inaugural classes of these schools? Would many applicants be willing to apply to the “guinea pig class” especially if a discount is offered? Even if not, I would imagine this would still make a great safety school this year. Thoughts?
Anyone know if this school will be pass/fail or a traditional grading scale?

Wouldn’t this be like comparing apples to oranges though? The people who opened the med school are a different group of people opening the dental school. I would certainly question if they will accept federal loans if I were an applicant.

They really haven’t posted a lot on the vision of the school like what clinic will look like in D3/4 years. They seem to be focused right now on the didactic curriculum. I would want to know this the most as a deciding applicant. When I interviewed at Touro, the inaugural class were D3’s and hadn’t yet started their clinic in Dec - they voted for a little more time in Sim before starting on patients. But they all graduated on time in the end (even with Covid) and placed into residencies (since NY doesn’t require a state board, just one year of residency to license).

Yeah its a different group, but same organization. It is still apples to oranges, but i'd still want to be aware of the environment that caused issues with the medical school and if that may transfer into starting the dental school.

I'm sure it will be fine in the long run. The med school thread was pretty spicy at times, but the school is accredited, kids are graduating and placing in residencies as well.

Anyone know if this school will be pass/fail or a traditional grading scale?
Cant say for certain, but their site makes it sound like you will be taking med school classes the first two years, and their first two years of med school are Honors/Pass/Fail according tot heir student handbook.

Cant say for certain, but their site makes it sound like you will be taking med school classes the first two years, and their first two years of med school are Honors/Pass/Fail according tot heir student handbook.
Interesting. Thanks for the update! I would apply if it’s was pass/ fail for sure.

Look at the school’s website. They said they won’t be accepting students this year and students that applied will receive a refund, because they can’t get an accreditation visit due to COVID.
Their site says that they are opening applications in Aug 2020 for the Fall 2021 class. Im not sure if that means they wont interview until they have an accreditation visit next year or if theyll do the entire process without accreditation banking on receiving it next year

Gotcha. You could probably find this out by seeing on AADSAS if this is a selectable school.
They are having you apply through their own portal, not AADSAS. They did the same thing when they first opened their medical school

I talked to the school and they will have traditional letter grades.

• Wow
Members don't see this ad :)
The application opened today and it just seems a little off. They are requiring a nonrefundable $100 payment through PayPal, excel sheet for your GPA (which you have to calculate), and attaching 3 letters of recommendation. How are we supposed to submit our letters of rec which we waived our rights to see? I'm confused about the logic behind their application..... it doesn't make much sense

The application opened today and it just seems a little off. They are requiring a nonrefundable $100 payment through PayPal, excel sheet for your GPA (which you have to calculate), and attaching 3 letters of recommendation. How are we supposed to submit our letters of rec which we waived our rights to see? I'm confused about the logic behind their application..... it doesn't make much sense
how do you get to their application. I dont see it on their website and didnt get an email about it

I wonder why they don't just ask you to upload your completed application file as a pdf from AADSAS? That has all the transcripts verified and calculated out, all your experience listed, etc. I understand the LORs would have to be resent directly to them - you can't get around that unless you used Interfolio. Payment seems fine to me.

The same thing happened when they first opened their medical school, it was a huge mess. The PayPal link for me redirects to some @cnsu.edu Microsoft web app login, not PayPal. You can’t upload transcripts from multiple universities, they only allow one. I’m pretty sure you can’t send an official DAT score to a physical address, the only option I saw on ADA was email/virtual. It seems really messy and disorganized. They also aren’t even accredited yet.

Definitely wouldve been easier to just download a copy of our AADSAS PDF and send it

The same thing happened when they first opened their medical school, it was a huge mess. The PayPal link for me redirects to some @cnsu.edu Microsoft web app login, not PayPal. You can’t upload transcripts from multiple universities, they only allow one. I’m pretty sure you can’t send an official DAT score to a physical address, the only option I saw on ADA was email/virtual. It seems really messy and disorganized. They also aren’t even accredited yet.

Definitely wouldve been easier to just download a copy of our AADSAS PDF and send it

Thank you

I agree. I just looked over the application and it is pretty off. I probably won't be applying because of it and they are still unsure if itll be accredited.

I agree. I just looked over the application and it is pretty off. I probably won't be applying because of it and they are still unsure if itll be accredited.
Yea I'm thinking the same thing. It already seems unorganized so I can't imagine how the school year will be..

Is there any pros for applying to this school? I guess higher % chance of an acceptance? I am not going to apply but just curious why anyone would matriculate into a school that isn't even prepared to run an application cycle and most likely 115k+ a year based off other new private schools.

Yeah, its just an easier chance at getting into school. I think they have medical based curriculum like Columbia, but other than that I don't think it would prepare anyone well for specialty.

I wonder why they don't just ask you to upload your completed application file as a pdf from AADSAS? That has all the transcripts verified and calculated out, all your experience listed, etc. I understand the LORs would have to be resent directly to them - you can't get around that unless you used Interfolio. Payment seems fine to me.
Yea I'm not sure what their thought process was behind their application. Idk if its worth the $100 thats also nonrefundable hahah

Yeah, its just an easier chance at getting into school. I think they have medical based curriculum like Columbia, but other than that I don't think it would prepare anyone well for specialty.
Why do you think it wouldn’t prepare anyone well for specialty?

Why do you think it wouldn’t prepare anyone well for specialty?
This is just IMO, I would think it wouldn't because of the reputation of for-profit schools, and this will be the guinea pig class. There is no ability to compare to previous years, residencies would be taking a risk on the grads.

This is just IMO, I would think it wouldn't because of the reputation of for-profit schools, and this will be the guinea pig class. There is no ability to compare to previous years, residencies would be taking a risk on the grads.
Yeah, it’s interesting because people said the same thing about their med school (they also had some makeshift application portal, for profit, etc). Their first class, which they scrambled to put together a couple months before the first day so they likely didnt have acceptances to other schools, matched into so-so programs, no super competitive specialties (maybe more a reflection of the students attending than the program). Most recent year though had high average board scores, placed some kids in competitive specialties, and also had kids match into competitive programs.

Point being there will likely be hiccups along the way that you would expect from a new school and likely wouldnt get at an established program, but the leadership seems qualified and capable and at the end of the day you get out what you put in. Once they have their accreditation, which is fairly hard to obtain from what I understand, residencies will likely treat them like they do every other candidate (GPA, rank, test scores, LOR's, EC's, etc.). I'm sure kids that end up attending will be fine in this department.

That doesnt mean that tuition and private loans, new program and clinic hiccups, and other things wont make your education experience more difficult than an established program though

Honestly, I was planning to apply but I'm really no sure if it's worth. Federal loans or tuition are not the issues for me because I'm an international student, meaning that I can't get a loan even if I apply for other dental schools so let's not talk about it here. I wonder if they accept international students or not. The pros I'm seeing now are the location of the school since my uncle's living around Sacramento area which is great and their leadership team seems to be great with tons of research. Should I apply for CNU, assuming that they accept international students?

Their application process seems to be off, too. I personally don't want to email my professors and tell them to send directly the letters to me to upload on the school's portal.

I don’t know if it means anything but I had emailed them asking about cost of attendance and another thing. Whoever responded just totally ignored my cost of attendance question.

Reactions: 3 users
wait did they say we cant use our aadsas application for our grades? I was just going to submit a screenshot of all the gpas aadsas calculated.
They want you till fill out an excel sheet with your prereq grades. Then submit transcripts. That’s it

Touro just graduate their inaugural class this year and they had a good success rate for matching their grads for residencies. One of their grads got into the prosth residency at Harvard. I know of students at my private school who placed in OMFS, ortho, perio, and I know there's more who placed last year. So you can't rule it out and think the school will hold you back. Residencies decide on the applicant due to their overall package and what they did while in school.

Touro just graduate their inaugural class this year and they had a good success rate for matching their grads for residencies. One of their grads got into the prosth residency at Harvard. I know of students at my private school who placed in OMFS, ortho, perio, and I know there's more who placed last year. So you can't rule it out and think the school will hold you back. Residencies decide on the applicant due to their overall package and what they did while in school.
I’m uneducated on the issue, so I’m glad you have some understanding on how newer schools have done. You said previously that their Dean is well accomplished, and that's a good sign. I believe that the class has a good shot if they are provided with quality teachers, equipment, and opportunities for clinical work and specialty rotations. I am also unsure how sourcing funding is for a For-Profit school, so I hope they have that under control. Considering they have a medical school up and running, it seems like they know what they are doing. A decent opportunity. Plus they have medical integrated curriculum and do not require a science LOR.

not yet! I was going to apply after I retook my DAT, so end of this month. I have a lot of questions regarding the application that I was going to email them about. It's only letting me attach 1 transcript and im not sure where we put our hours for shadowning/volunteer work, it says to attach your CV but my CV doesnt have my hours, do we just add it in? Its a mess lol
Yea im right there with you. I have no clue what's going on with their application.

I contact them and they said that they did a mistake. The recommendation letters should be from the pofissores or the doctor directly to the admission.

I was in the inaugural class at Midwestern that Dr. Simonsen started. Our dental clinic wasn’t even built yet when I started D1! I had a great experience. There were some tweaks that the curriculum needed, as they build it from scratch, but nothing that was ever frustrating. If there was an issue, the students were always accommodated. I can tell you that if Dr. Simonsen is involved, it will be a top notch program. I can’t speak highly enough about the guy.

I was in the inaugural class at Midwestern that Dr. Simonsen started. Our dental clinic wasn’t even built yet when I started D1! I had a great experience. There were some tweaks that the curriculum needed, as they build it from scratch, but nothing that was ever frustrating. If there was an issue, the students were always accommodated. I can tell you that if Dr. Simonsen is involved, it will be a top notch program. I can’t speak highly enough about the guy.
I believe Dr. Simonsen was here from the beginning. However, I was notified that he has retired already.

how do you know he retired? hes still on their website and their first year hasnt even started yet
Regardless, i think the program will be successful. If your stats aren’t super competitive but decent, you should take a look, visit the school, start calling in the spring.

did any one applied to CDM yet? and recessives interview?

did any one applied to CDM yet? and recessives interview?
I have submitted the application as well as all the required documents. They are super friendly for answering the questions though.

Curious if anyone got any cost of Athena dance info from this school.

By Dr. Xenoudi

3. Can you briefly inform me about the tuition?
at this point it seems that it will be around $95-100k w/ a 2-5% increase every year. we are waiting for the final document as it is put together by the president's office.

By Dr. Xenoudi

3. Can you briefly inform me about the tuition?
at this point it seems that it will be around $95-100k w/ a 2-5% increase every year. we are waiting for the final document as it is put together by the president's office.
$95-$100k for tuition only is crazy high and living in California isn't cheap I'm sure.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users