New dental school: California Northstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
May I please be added to the GroupMe as well. Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
can someone please add me to the groupme? thank you so much!

Can someone please add me into the GroupMe, I was recently accepted. Thanks!

Total fees through the school itself come to 500,000 + dollars. Add on the interest from the private loans, an aggregate amount of about $600,000 + unprecedented fees like a car or more expensive rent AND fees accumulating after you graduate, finding a new home or going for residency. You could end up closer to $1,000,000 in debt and guaranteed to be past the 600k mark. The school has yet to become fully accredited. You are paying twice, yes TWICE, as much for dental school. Something really important to keep in mind is that tuition plus fees for your avg dental school(~350k) now, is actually considered by many current practitioners absolutely NOT WORTH the career anymore, and for good reason. I literally have a pre-dent friend whose sister(recent grad) is telling her it's not worth it anymore. The field is becoming saturated, being taken over by corporations driving prices down, insurances driving prices down, and hygienists demanding higher wages. Those of us dental students with 350k - 400k in debt now are practically gambling as is. Just imagine where you stand. There are other careers out there that are worth the investment that you would also love just as much. Don't set yourself up. You're better off Investing 5K in a tutor + resources and scoring 23+ on your DAT and getting in the next cycle.

with that being said, for those of you who have financially successful parents or spouses which will probably be a lot of you, AND no other acceptances, Have at it. It's not the most honorable way of doing things but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Everyone else, think long term, we don't have a safety net

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
Total fees thru the school itself come to 500,000+ dollars. Add on the interest from the private loans, an aggregate amount of about $600,000 + unprecedented fees like a car or more expensive rent AND fees accumulating after you graduate, finding a new home or going for residency. You could end up closer to $1,000,000 in debt and be guaranteed to be past the 600k mark. The school has yet to become fully accredited. You are paying twice, yes TWICE, as much for dental school. Something really important to keep in mind is that tuition plus fees for your avg dental school(~350k) now, is actually considered by many current practitioners absolutely NOT WORTH the career anymore, and for good reason. I literally have a pre-dent friend whose sister (a recent grad) is telling her it's not worth it anymore. The field is becoming saturated, being taken over by corporations driving prices down, insurance companies driving prices down, and hygienists demanding higher wages. Those of us dental students with 350k-400k in debt now are practically gambling as is. Just imagine where you stand. There are other careers out there that are worth the investment and that you would also love just as much. Don't set yourself up. You're better off. Investing 5K in a tutor + resources and scoring a 23+ on your DAT and getting into the next cycle

with that being said, for those of you who have financially successful parents or spouses which will probably be a lot of you, AND no other acceptances, Have at it. It's not the most honorable way of doing things, but you got' gotta do what you got' to do.

Everyone else, think long term. We don't have a safety net.
Thank you for sharing this. I really appreciate it! I have been very desperate about getting into a dental school and have been thinking that if CNU is my only acceptance, I will definitely take the offer and attend. That's how desperate I am about getting into a dental school. I am not in a position to pick out which schools to apply to or attend due to my low academic statistics. However, now that I am aware of how much debt I will come out with, I am going to follow your advice and score 23+ on the DAT and try to get in the next cycle. I also do not think it is worth that much money to become a dentist or to attend school just to be eligible to take the dental board exam to become a dentist. The dentist I shadow once told me that dental schools like prep-schools for the dental national board exam so go with the cheapest option. Now, I see what he meant by that. Thanks again for bringing it up so that more pre-dental students like myself are aware of what we are going in to.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for sharing this. I really appreciate it! I have been very desperate about getting into a dental school and have been thinking that if CNU is my only acceptance, I will definitely take the offer and attend. That's how desperate I am about getting into a dental school. I am not in a position to pick out which schools to apply to or attend due to my low academic statistics. However, now that I am aware of how much debt I will come out with, I am going to follow your advice and score 23+ on the DAT and try to get in the next cycle. I also do not think it is worth that much money to become a dentist or to attend school just to be eligible to take the dental board exam to become a dentist. The dentist I shadow once told me that dental schools like prep-schools for the dental national board exam so go with the cheapest option. Now, I see what he meant by that. Thanks again for bringing it up so that more pre-dental students like myself are aware of what we are going in to.
I'm glad I could help, feel free to message me if you need any advice or insight. I had a really low gpa and worked my ass off for the DAT, applied to five schools got four interviews and three acceptances.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm glad I could help, feel free to message me if you need any advice or insight. I had a really low gpa and worked my ass off for the DAT, applied to five schools got four interviews and three acceptances.
Thank you so much! Wow, congrats on your acceptances! Yes, I would definitely need to ask for some of your tips on studying for the DAT, if that's okay with you! Thanks again for sharing your post so I can be aware of what's going on and saving my time and money.

Lots of misinformation on this thread. The US needs more medical and dental schools and CNU is going to be a strong name in NorCal for decades to come. My sister went to the Caribbean to get her MD and will be a Penn internal med residency grad with offers from Stanford and every other top Healthcare system in the world. I know lots of people in the inaugural CNU CDM class and while there are of course minor issues that pop up (as expected with any new dental school), the school is extremely professional and caring with renowned faculty.

Do you even know what this means? They are working towards full accreditation and didn't fully pass the first time when the review was done during COVID and now have to work on the issues identified. Zero chance they don't achieve full accreditation if you have any idea how LCME works (which you obviously do not)

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 users
The tuition and only accepting private loans is misinformation? The US does not need any more dental schools. Dentistry is already going downhill and opening more schools is contributing to that factor. You can’t compare medicine with dentistry..
High tuition and private loans are a hallmark of Caribbean MD universities. The model works so you don't end up like UCSF. Dentistry is going downhill? Lol. Dentistry is better than medicine given the entrepreneurial flexibility and varied insurance protocols.

Do you even know what this means? They are working towards full accreditation and didn't fully pass the first time when the review was done during COVID and now have to work on the issues identified. Zero chance they don't achieve full accreditation if you have any idea how LCME works (which you obviously do not)
I have participated in the preparation for interval (q 8 year) LCME visits for the last 30 years.
Probation is the strongest possible indictment of a medical school that the LCME can give (short of revocation). They have had previous lackluster reviews and failed to make the necessary improvements.

Reactions: 1 users
I have participated in the preparation for interval (q 8 year) LCME visits for the last 30 years.
Probation is the strongest possible indictment of a medical school that the LCME can give (short of revocation). They have had previous lackluster reviews and failed to make the necessary improvements.
Many medical schools have been put on probation (see below). You and I both know the chances of revocation are zero.
  • University of Texas School of Medicine at San Antonio
  • Marshall University Joan C. Edwards School of Medicine
  • The Commonwealth Medical College
  • Ponce School of Medicine

My sister went to the Caribbean to get her MD and will be a Penn internal med residency grad with offers from Stanford and every other top Healthcare system in the world.
155A0C12-8D0C-48E4-9EFF-42CB4977DDB1.jpeg

Big Hoss

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Many medical schools have been put on probation (see below). You and I both know the chances of revocation are zero.
  • University of Texas School of Medicine at San Antonio
  • Marshall University Joan C. Edwards School of Medicine
  • The Commonwealth Medical College
  • Ponce School of Medicine
Please note the poster of this threadlet has been removed. In the event it returns, here is a response

I am awaiting a similar public, transparent disclosure from CNU as UTSA did 10 years ago. This is why I am more skeptical and pessimistic of CNU getting to full accreditation.

SDN discussed: UTSA - Probation

I will note technically this probation only affects the medical school, but it is going to affect other site visits for the other schools.

As it stands, CNU dental has its green light. Home

Last edited:
Anyone got interview from CNU recently? Do they still send more interviews?

anyonne interviewed with California Northstate ? I have an interview with them soon and I would appreciate it if anyone knows what questions they ask and how would be their interview process. thank you