New dental school: California Northstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
A few scenario questions. Mine was close/open file meaning some interviewers looked at my application and other hadn’t. Very chill and everyone was nice. My number 1 tip would be stay calm and just be yourself. They really wanna see who you are as a person. Lastly, come up with questions for them. Good luck I’m sure you’ll do great! Let us know what new information they have regarding accreditation etc!
Thank you so much! I really appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I asked them during my interview their accreditation was rescheduled to end of April.

Reactions: 1 user
I asked them during my interview their accreditation was rescheduled to end of April.
Hope your interview went well! Are they handing out acceptances this cycle and was the interview a lot of ethical questions?

How long does it usually take them to get back to us after interview?

Yeah! Somebody should ask what aspects make them hopeful, and what may be a reason for not receiving their accreditation.
I honestly don’t see a reason to why the school wouldn’t get accredited because they were ready for the site meeting March 2020 and then had a whole entire year to fix the missing pieces. We’ll see how it goes. It’s just sad that the site meeting got moved to April. Hopefully that doesn’t set things back because from what I’ve been hearing a good number of students have accepted unofficial offers.

Reactions: 1 users
If you truly believe that your interview went well you’ll hear good news soon. Mine took 3 weeks more or less. But this was a while ago. Idk how fast they are responding atm.
Hey did u call after ur interview asking for the decision? Or did U send them an email? When u think it’s the right time to ask about the decision since I interviewed this week ? In my interview they told me the class start date may be delayed.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

So I definitely wouldn’t call them asking what their decision was. They called me/emailed me. The email basically said you’ve been unofficially accepted, let us know if you’d like to take the offer etc.
In your interview they said that classes start later? Did they say how late? Like October? And did they tell you any other important information like above^^?
January or July of 2022. But that’s not certain she said maybe.

Just curious, why are you all considering going to a brand new school (which isn't yet accredited?) in the middle of a pandemic? I'm just baffled as an older student as to what is going on. Have they even published a price of attendance yet? Have they even hired faculty? Do they even have patient pools yet?

Reactions: 2 users
Just curious, why are you all considering going to a brand new school (which isn't yet accredited?) in the middle of a pandemic? I'm just baffled as an older student as to what is going on. Have they even published a price of attendance yet? Have they even hired faculty? Do they even have patient pools yet?
Vaccines are becoming more available by the day, so I don't know how much the pandemic will affect the fate of a new school in the Fall. It's not accredited yet, but we can't attend until it is anyway. They've told us a price of attendance, but it's not published. Thats not good imo, but we can choose not to attend if it ends up too much. I don't have answers about faculty and patient pools.

Genuine question, because I really don't know, but doesn't the school still have 2 years to figure out patient pools? No one is gonna be a D3 here for a while. Also, if this was the only school you got into during a cycle, would you reapply instead of attending?

Vaccines are becoming more available by the day, so I don't know how much the pandemic will affect the fate of a new school in the Fall. It's not accredited yet, but we can't attend until it is anyway. They've told us a price of attendance, but it's not published. Thats not good imo, but we can choose not to attend if it ends up too much. I don't have answers about faculty and patient pools.

Genuine question, because I really don't know, but doesn't the school still have 2 years to figure out patient pools? No one is gonna be a D3 here for a while. Also, if this was the only school you got into during a cycle, would you reapply instead of attending?
You think they’ll just magically get patients? It requires time to build up clinics and recruit patients and staff. I can only imagine it’s more difficult in NorCal.

Few schools are worth the price nowadays. I don’t know what I would advise if this was the only option.

You think they’ll just magically get patients? It requires time to build up clinics and recruit patients and staff. I can only imagine it’s more difficult in NorCal.

Few schools are worth the price nowadays. I don’t know what I would advise if this was the only option.
Like I said, I don't know. Someone earlier mentioned that the clinic was supposed to be a part of their proposed hospital. I think that was the same proposal that was rejected by the city. So there's definitely things I will have to find out for myself if this school ends up my only acceptance. Even then, if accreditation doesn't pan out, the point is moot lol.

Just received an interview and I will be declining! Best of luck everyone!

• Haha
They said tuition was $76K a year. Not sure if that included fees. Their goal was a class of 80 once it was up and running, they said theyre expecting ~30 in the first class, but who knows what theyll do once they get accredited (mad dash to fill the class with anyone who didnt get in anywhere else, or just leave it where its at). I also dont think theyll have issues with their patient pool being outside Sacramento (they can pull from the city, the surrounding areas, other areas in the central valley, etc.).

Dont know about faculty. Patient pool and clinic was not existent as of my interview but its not like there isn't a need for what they are offering in the area.

There will likely be some fairly intense growing pains for anyone in the 1st few classes, but nothing that every other new dental school hasnt had to overcome. You just have to ask yourself if you want to pay $76k to be the guinea pigs, it seems like most people are going to bite though if they have no other options regardless of how severe covid might make those growing pains.

Last edited:
There should be plenty of patients in that area and they won't be sharing patients with any other school.

I just applied for FAFSA a couple days ago and may have found out that this school does not participate, so you will have to take private loans out instead of federal.

Just curious, if a student gets accepted this cycle, would she or he have to commit to CNU and reject other schools? I am assuming that most other schools will start in late August, correct?

If this is the case, then would CNU give out an official acceptance to students saying that you will be in class one whenever it starts?

Just curious, if a student gets accepted this cycle, would she or he have to commit to CNU and reject other schools? I am assuming that most other schools will start in late August, correct?

If this is the case, then would CNU give out an official acceptance to students saying that you will be in class one whenever it starts?
CNU is telling us pick whatever is better for your future. With that being said I am hoping that our conditional acceptances are for whenever the school starts.

If anyone has asked this question please let us know!

CNU is telling us pick whatever is better for your future. With that being said I am hoping that our conditional acceptances are for whenever the school starts.

If anyone has asked this question please let us know!
They said if it is postponed until January 2022 our application is valid. But they haven't decided on July 2022 yet.

Do u think we will get official acceptance in August or before that?
I honestly have confidence that our official acceptances will be mailed out in August. Their site meeting is this month then the final decision meeting is in August. They had over a year to fix any issues that could fail they accreditation guide lines. We just have to be patient.