New FSU Med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FSUMED

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just curious about if anybody had heard of FSU's new med school. It is supposed to be the first new med school established in the country in 20 years. Anyway, I am a sophmore at FSU and I was just wondering if anybody that if being in a new med school would be a disadvantage(on the boards, etc.) According to my info the school will be modeled after a few other schools, mainly U of Michigan(or is it Michigan state). That ism they dont have a teaching hospital and wont be getting one. When it comes time for rotations student will go out to hospital in other cities and rural areas across Florida. The state has doctor shortage in the rural and low soceoeconomic urban areas, so the school will focos on primary care. Has annybody heard anything about these types of schools(schools without teaching hospitals). I still think I will leave Florida and go back to my home state of Mississippi to the U of M. But I dont want to rule out FSU(I just have to become a FL resident if I want to go here). Any opinions will be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I dont see how going to FSU Med would hurt you significantly. Maybe if you are applying to resideny programs at Massachusetts General or something, but only in extreme cases like that.

As far as FL residency, you need to check into that immediately because it might be harder than you think.

I'm not sure what the FL regulations are, but if they're anything like Texas you would have to drop out of school for a full year and work in FL before being considered a resident.

------------------
"There is nothing more powerful on this Earth as a man who has nothing to lose. It does not take ten such men to change the world--one will do." Elijah Mohammed

Yep...Baylorboy is right....

Since you have been going to school here as a out-of-state resident, it would be hard to convince them of your in-state residency (they have a rule against becoming a resident "just" for tuition purposes). I'm not saying it can't be done...especially since you've been in Florida for a while (even if as a student) but if you are AT ALL considering ANY of the Florida schools...look into residency NOW! See what you need to do to get qualified as a resident (usually it's driver's license, voter's registration, vehicle registration, and a "physical" Florida address...no PO boxes...and you might have to produce a lease). You have to be considered a resident at least 12 months PRIOR to matriculation for you to receive in-state tuition (not to mention in-state application status...which is, by far, more important).

You should also remember that FSU is seeking students from the "North" Florida region that they believe will RETURN to North Florida once their schooling is done. If you can get your residency squared away, all you have to do is convince them that you LOVE north Florida and can't wait to return after residency!!
wink.gif
Also remember that the class size is still VERY small (30 this year...30 next...and then they'll add 30 more a year until they reach ~120 in 2004-2005) So for the next few years the competition is still going to be VERY tough to get an interview (they interviewed <100 this year...I was one of them...got waitlisted)

As for the newness of the school affecting residency....I'm mum on that. Because there HASN'T been a new school in quite a while, it's impossible for any of US young-uns to know WHAT might happen. FSU is a well-known university and that reputation might help out a bit...but at the same time, there might be people that are leery, just because the program doesn't have any "past" to prove that its graduates will be competent (I'm sure they will be...but this may be a bias some residency programs may have).

Another important thing to REALLY consider is the fact that they won't be accredited until AFTER this years incoming class (class of 2005) passes ALL of its boards (4 years from now!). Personally, I don't think it's going to be a problem because FSU has lots of money and influence....and the students are just as highly qualified as any other good school....but it IS something to think about before you plunk down another $100,000 for medical school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I understand you guys' point about the residency thing. And to be honest I dont really know if I could become one or not. I do have an apartment, utility bills, etc. I dont have the car tag or the license, etc. SO that is something I will look into.

First off, this is the second new school I've heard about in recent weeks. The Cleveland Clinic is also starting a new med school, however it will not raise the number of current seats for students in the state, because their students will be taken from Ohio State. It's a confusing situation!

In response to your initial question about similar schools, we have one here in Ohio. Wright State was founded in the late 70's (?) or early 80's to fill a similar niche in Ohio. They are focused on primary care, and also have no teaching hospital of their own. They ship students all over the southwest corner of the state to various rural and urban hospitals and clinics. The school has fought to increase its reputation, and is ranked in the top 50 for primary care. However their MCAT score averages remain the lowest in the state, at a bit over 8 on each section.

While interviewing there, I though the school was doing very well for as young as it was. But I would agree with you that being the first class through a new school would be a... (how should I put this?)... pretty scary adventure. You will find that when choosing a med school, the main things you will look at will be the past success and happiness of the students. These are obviously not available at a brand new school.

And finally, I found that they spent a LOT of time trying to downplay the significance of their not having a teaching hospital of their own. Several current students actually tried to play it off as a benefit, saying things like "It's great to get to travel and see different parts of the state!" Yeah... Riiiiighht. I think that being affiliated with a major hospital and research center is very important to my medical education. Others may disagree, but I still think you should not overlook that aspect of your medical education. It's a simple question of increased opportunities, resources, and available faculty.

Final thought: somebody will have to be in the first class through, and I'm sure it may be harder for them, but in the end, the results will be the same. And they must get some satisfaction from being able to help improve the school for future classes.

I have to say that I think FSU's goals do fit my aspirations. I want to be family doctor. I know I know, you arent supposed to pick your specialtiy in undergrad, but I 95% sure that is what I want. I think FSU is going to have a fine school. But I would only be the 4th entering class. I definately think that for somebody even thinking about competitive residencies and specialties that FSU is not the place for you. But If you are looking into the areas primary care, internal medicine, etc. it would probably a be a very good place. My biggest delema is the residency thing. Do I change residency, which I think I could do, and apply to Florida's State schools(this basically narrows me down to USF and FSU, because quite frankly I cant stand Gainseville, no offense to UFers, it just isnt my kind of town). If I do that then I kill my chances at a place where I am more than likely a shoe in, The university of Mississippi. So go for two places that a may like better, or go for the place that I think I can get in? Hard decision

FSUMED

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by Mango:
First off, this is the second new school I've heard about in recent weeks. The Cleveland Clinic is also starting a new med school, however it will not raise the number of current seats for students in the state, because their students will be taken from Ohio State. It's a confusing situation!

I thought that was an old story and that they were cutting ties with OSU. I thought they had decided to actually do their own school. Maybe I heard wrong.

Last edited: