New GI Bill Regs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sethco

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will also post this in the FAQ section, but i thought this would be relevant to a new thread since everybody has been waiting for the regs to come out. So, here it is...

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/tex...0090331:1.106;idno=38;cc=ecfr;start=1;size=25

IMO, the most significant change (and most relevant for docs that are already residency trained) is the ability to transfer their benefits to dependents. According to the regs, you need 10 years of service. However, this does not specify whether it has to be all AD or if you can mix with Reserve/Guard duty. I asked the VA about this, and according to the regs, your HPSP time counts as years of service (HPSP time also counts as time towards retirement if you go into the Guard/Reserve). Children have to use the benefits before the age of 26 and the 36 months of benefits can be distributed among multiple children. the relevant sections for this are 21.9530, 21.9570, and 21.9625(j).

I think my only complaint (and I admit its just complaining for the sake of complaining) is if you have paid into the "kicker", you will not get this amount refunded.

Hope this helps everybody.

Members don't see this ad.