New GI Bill

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Trajan

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
As many of you know, at least I hope you know, the GI bill is applicable to civilian residency. This is relevant to those GMO/FS/UMO types who plan to do their military service between internship and residency.

Does anyone know what the monthly payout for a civilian resident will be under the new GIB? I've found tons of info about the excellent benefits for those looking to get a bachelors, but I'm not sure what it means for the small number of people doing GME while eligible for these benefits.

Cheers!

Members don't see this ad.

Try the sticky "Important Info for new Accessions - GI Bill" at the top.

Try the sticky "Important Info for new Accessions - GI Bill" at the top.

In short, with the New GI Bill and a residency program-- you will get BAH only; not bad depending on where you live.

This was direct from the GI Bill website in the question and answer section. There was a link somewhere in the Sticky for the New GI Bill above.

Members don't see this ad :)
In short, with the New GI Bill and a residency program-- you will get BAH only; not bad depending on where you live.

This was direct from the GI Bill website in the question and answer section. There was a link somewhere in the Sticky for the New GI Bill above.
Also, if it's the Q&A I read as well, this was specifically for a residency at an "academic medical center". I'm not clear what would happen if you went to a community, non-academic residency.

Also, if it's the Q&A I read as well, this was specifically for a residency at an "academic medical center". I'm not clear what would happen if you went to a community, non-academic residency.

You can start by checking to see if that institution is approved. If not, then you would have to initiate the process of getting that institution approved. Check this out:
https://www.gibill2.va.gov/vba/vba....HJvdmVkIGluc3RpdHV0aW9ucw**&p_li=&p_topview=1

I don't know what their criteria are, but if the program is ACGME accredited, that should be good enough. If you have to do this, start right away because I doubt it is a quick process.

Question:

Anybody know if time spent in residency and initial ADSO (12 years for myself) qualifies you for GI Bill benefits (I know it does for enlisted but does the same apply for officers paying back their education obligation)?
Everything I've read online says that if you spend 10 yrs on AD after 9/11, you are eligible to transfer full GI Bill benefits to either your spouse or children. I've heard that this only applies to enlisted and if you're an officer that has taken either the HPSP or USUHS scholarship, this payback time does not count toward GI Bill benefits or transfer thereof. I've tried to contact the VA but, of course, the line is always busy.

This is FAQ question #954 from the VA's GI bill website (I couldn't paste the link, it was endless).

Bad news, although neither HPSP or USUHS is specifically mentioned.

Question

If I graduated from a Service Academy or had an ROTC scholarship can I still be eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill?

Answer
The new GI bill will allow officers who graduated from service academies or received ROTC scholarships to qualify for the new GI Bill benefit. However, time spent satisfying the ROTC/Service Academy active duty obligation does not count toward the active duty service necessary to qualify for the benefits.

I took the time to ask the VA via the website, specifically mentioning the restrictions placed on ROTC/Service Academy people. The reply indicated that it wouldn't be a problem, but I'm not convinced, since they just said it would be fine, didn't provide any details to suggest that the actual idea had been thought about.

this seems like something that slipped through the cracks without being specifically addressed and could go either way. Unfortunately, we won't know until after this summer, when people start trying to use it.

This is FAQ question #954 from the VA's GI bill website (I couldn't paste the link, it was endless).

Bad news, although neither HPSP or USUHS is specifically mentioned.

Question

If I graduated from a Service Academy or had an ROTC scholarship can I still be eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill?

Answer
The new GI bill will allow officers who graduated from service academies or received ROTC scholarships to qualify for the new GI Bill benefit. However, time spent satisfying the ROTC/Service Academy active duty obligation does not count toward the active duty service necessary to qualify for the benefits.

Seems pretty clear to me that they've addressed this. If you went to an academy or took an ROTC scholarship, you can still get the new gi bill, but the (four) years spent towards fulfilling the service commitment doesn't count. The new gi bill has a sliding scale depending on how much time you've served after 9/11, starting at 90 days and reaching 100% at three years. In other words you would need seven years of active duty service to get full benefits.

I'm not sure. It doesn't mention HPSP or USUHS specifically and these are programs for commissioned officers not officer candidates. Either the law is different or whoever talked to NavyFlightDoc didn't get it. I guess we'll find out in a few months. It definitely looks bad at face value.

Has anyone contacted their medical school about the Yellow Ribbon Program? This is a potentially awesome deal for those who qualify for the full Post 9/11 gibill payments. From what I understand, and please correct me if I am wrong, your school can voluntarily enter a contract with the VA. They can agree to pay up to 50% of the difference between the state school tuition and your institution (assuming you're not going instate).

My one question is, if the school is already giving you a partial scholarship without considering the yellow ribbon program, can you use the Yellow Ribbon Program to have the VA match that scholarship? Can anyone clarify?