New Here! What chance do I have??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

camshark

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so I would like to be a doctor. Im not partial to either DO or MD although there are only MD programs near my hometown so it would be nice to get into one of those. I am a junior in college, planning on getting my BS in Biology, minor in Chemistry in 2012. I am open to going another year to raise my GPA. When I first started college I was a senior in HS and did very, very poorly. Since then I have done well but my GPA will still be a 3.2 when I graduate. If I had not done so poorly the first year it would be around a 3.6-7. My science GPA is 3.7. I am married and have a child with one on the way, meaning I have worked full time throughout college to support my family. I do work at a hospital as a CNA on surgical floor. I also have shadowed an MD in town enough that he knows me but not enough to write a lor. I plan on shadowing a DO or MD this summer as right now with work and school I pretty much barely have time to sleep. I also have not done much volunteering since I work so much but do plan on trying to do more of that this coming year. I havent yet taken the MCAT as Im undecided whether to take it aand try for 2012 admission or go an extra year and try for 2013. What do you think? Also, I live in midwest so the schools around here are U of MN, USD, UND, U of NE, etc. if that changes anything. Any advice would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Ok so I would like to be a doctor. Im not partial to either DO or MD although there are only MD programs near my hometown so it would be nice to get into one of those. I am a junior in college, planning on getting my BS in Biology, minor in Chemistry in 2012. I am open to going another year to raise my GPA. When I first started college I was a senior in HS and did very, very poorly. Since then I have done well but my GPA will still be a 3.2 when I graduate. If I had not done so poorly the first year it would be around a 3.6-7. My science GPA is 3.7. I am married and have a child with one on the way, meaning I have worked full time throughout college to support my family. I do work at a hospital as a CNA on surgical floor. I also have shadowed an MD in town enough that he knows me but not enough to write a lor. I plan on shadowing a DO or MD this summer as right now with work and school I pretty much barely have time to sleep. I also have not done much volunteering since I work so much but do plan on trying to do more of that this coming year. I havent yet taken the MCAT as Im undecided whether to take it aand try for 2012 admission or go an extra year and try for 2013. What do you think? Also, I live in midwest so the schools around here are U of MN, USD, UND, U of NE, etc. if that changes anything. Any advice would be appreciated!
I could type an entire paragraph by I'm just going to get to the point. I was a little worried with the 3.2 gpa but seen you have a strong science gpa (great job man!) Thats impressive if you look at the fact you have a wife and children to support AND working as a f*ing cna on a surgical floor. Whew been there done that. Are you URM? Just curious. If you stay on this path and push just a little harder( research here and there, ec's when you can) I think you have a pretty decent chance.:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Nope...but I am only 22 years old :) forgot to add that, that should count for something right? jk

URM= Under Represented in Medicine.... Basically a minority (anything besides white or asian)

WTF??? Anything besides white or asian??? LOL Idiot! What is wrong with you?!

OP,

African Americans, Hispanics and Native Americans are considered underrepresented in health care.

WTF??? Anything besides white or asian??? LOL Idiot! What is wrong with you?!

OP,

African Americans, Hispanics and Native Americans are considered underrepresented in health care.
You dumb ass. Like I said basically anything besides white or asian. ie. African Americans, Hispanics, Native Americans or anyother NON WHITE/ASIAN you can think of. I didnt think I would have to type every other nationality. I figured "Anything besides white or asian" would pretty much sum it up. *******

Let's be civil folks and not get distracted from the OP's concerns.

Camshark, did you retake any of the classes you did poorly in and earn a higher grade? If so, then AACOMAS, the DO application service, only counts the most recent grade if the credits were the same or greater.

Also, some schools give less weight to freshman grades. You might call the admissions offices of some of your preferred schools and ask them how they view poor college grades earned while still a HS student.

Yes I did retake a lot of my failed classes. Then I was told by my advisor that retaking classes does not help your overall gpa and taking entirely new classes would help more. But I have retaken a lot of them. Wondering though I read somewhere that as long as the classes are similar they will replace the F with the current grade. However I retook Western Civilization 2 instead of 1 not realizing what I had done. I got a D in 1 (during my 1 year "phase") and got an A in 2. Will that replace? Also, I got a D in Bio 101 (also during the "phase") and took Gen Bio later and got an A but they dont consider that the same b/c Bio 101 is more like a Bio Survery class. Would they consider it the same? Sorry to bombard you with questions but am curious...THanks

Whether they are replaceable depends on the course catalog description. Western Civ II usually covers a different date span of history than I. Bio I and Gen Bio could be the same, or not. When in doubt, AACOMAS is open to calls or emails. They have a book of equivalent couses. But course description is the best determinant and can be used to petition for grade forgiveness if it supports you.