New Jersey medical License delay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Futurenydoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied for my NJ medical license right before the pandemic started 3/4 and still have yet to receive it. I had a reviewer assigned and last I heard from them was June 3 (a month ago) contacted her multiple times without answer since. Everything seems to be checked except for”federation data bank query” “application” and “board/committee approval”. Am I doing something wrong? Has anyone had a similar situation? Is there any better way of contacting them? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Did you submit the NPDP report?
Tried calling their main line?

Thanks for your reply, I thought they did the query search through the NPDP ? Am I mistaken and I had to submit this? I have tried their main line, the board of med ed line, all the different contact emails with no luck unfortunately.

I applied for my NJ medical license
Maybe because your username is future NY doc they decided they didn't want you.

Sorry, I have nothing useful to add. Getting a license in normal times can sometimes be frustrating but it must be much worse now.

Reactions: 1 user
Maybe because your username is future NY doc they decided they didn't want you.

Sorry, I have nothing useful to add. Getting a license in normal times can sometimes be frustrating but it must be much worse now.

hahaha you're right hamstergang would have been much more fitting. Thanks for a laugh

My understanding from applying to other state licenses is that you need to do a NPDB query and send it to the state board. The NPDB will not send it third parties. I had to do the query myself, get the envelop, and literally send the unopened envelop to the state board. Due to covid, one of the boards was nice enough to accept an electronic report via email. You might want to ask them if they will accept it that way.

My understanding from applying to other state licenses is that you need to do a NPDB query and send it to the state board. The NPDB will not send it third parties. I had to do the query myself, get the envelop, and literally send the unopened envelop to the state board. Due to covid, one of the boards was nice enough to accept an electronic report via email. You might want to ask them if they will accept it that way.

Thanks so much, will try this.

Thanks for your reply, I thought they did the query search through the NPDP ? Am I mistaken and I had to submit this? I have tried their main line, the board of med ed line, all the different contact emails with no luck unfortunately.
You have to submit this yearself.

Read carefully the instructions and hope they're okay with a pdf.

Last edited:
Hey, wanted to know if your received it and if you did anything different? Bc my husband has applied and since June they haven’t said anything.

I’m glad I’m not the only one. I had my application completed in April and I STILL haven’t heard anything. I emailed them multiple times and the one response I got was a rude one. This is crazy. Weren’t these people working from home? I need to start working soon.

I’m glad I’m not the only one. I had my application completed in April and I STILL haven’t heard anything. I emailed them multiple times and the one response I got was a rude one. This is crazy. Weren’t these people working from home? I need to start working soon.

They are working from home and yes its crazy! It shouldn't take them that long!

anyone get their license? I am still waiting for my NJ license and I submitted back in April. I cannot take my boards next month without my license, so I am extremely anxious about this situation

anyone get their license? I am still waiting for my NJ license and I submitted back in April. I cannot take my boards next month without my license, so I am extremely anxious about this situation
You should apply to some place quicker than nj...Maine , Virginia, Pennsylvania all take about 3-5 weeks

waiting for my mass license still. They meet twice a month to approve licenses and today is one of the days.

not sure how it works in NJ but when I call the Mass board my reviewer has 24 hours to respond for a status update (if I email her directly she won’t respond unless I actually call them to prompt her, and sometimes her response is “I will respond to you by xxx date”.

this process is really dumb.

waiting for my mass license still. They meet twice a month to approve licenses and today is one of the days.

not sure how it works in NJ but when I call the Mass board my reviewer has 24 hours to respond for a status update (if I email her directly she won’t respond unless I actually call them to prompt her, and sometimes her response is “I will respond to you by xxx date”.

this process is really dumb.
Mass takes forever! I had my training license in mass when I applied for my unrestricted one...took 6 months...can take 8-12 months for those that have no connection in mass.

also applied with a training license. Got kind of covid screwed and would do it differently this time around (were dumb delays on my part in like mid March but there was also a lot of other stuff going on).

I’m weeks delayed from my start and I’m now starting to get concerned that it will interfere with sitting for peds board exam. Really hoping to hear today.

Mass takes forever! I had my training license in mass when I applied for my unrestricted one...took 6 months...can take 8-12 months for those that have no connection in mass.

also applied with a training license. Got kind of covid screwed and would do it differently this time around (were dumb delays on my part in like mid March but there was also a lot of other stuff going on).

I’m weeks delayed from my start and I’m now starting to get concerned that it will interfere with sitting for peds board exam. Really hoping to hear today.
Peds only requires A license not the license you need to practice...try Maine.

I have been waiting for months and only one step left, everything else is completed, and still nothing. What is the best way to call and leave a number? I am trying to call (609) 826-7100 which is listed on their website but I have literally been on hold for hours. Emails they never respond to.

Meanwhile I have a NY license as well and every time I call they pick up and are very accommodating. COVID shouldn't be an excuse. They behave like it is a free service, but we are paying a thousand dollars for this.

I have been waiting for months and only one step left, everything else is completed, and still nothing. What is the best way to call and leave a number? I am trying to call (609) 826-7100 which is listed on their website but I have literally been on hold for hours. Emails they never respond to.

Meanwhile I have a NY license as well and every time I call they pick up and are very accommodating. COVID shouldn't be an excuse. They behave like it is a free service, but we are paying a thousand dollars for this.
Keep emailing them! That worked for my husband!

Took me about 3 months to get licensed here. I was emailing everyday to get an update, luckily just got approved last week. They seem to be working remotely, so calling will probably not get any response.

Now comes the second trial of applying for CDS and DEA, does anyone know how long that process is normally?

I’m a Massachusetts resident so your mileage may vary for the CDS (which I assume is what we call the controlled substance registration). It took 2 days for me to get my CSR, and I got the DEA in 3 days. HOWEVER a resident colleague of mine took 2.5 weeks and we are told it can take up to 4-6 weeks for the DEA. So it’s exceptionally variable.

Took me about 3 months to get licensed here. I was emailing everyday to get an update, luckily just got approved last week. They seem to be working remotely, so calling will probably not get any response.

Now comes the second trial of applying for CDS and DEA, does anyone know how long that process is normally?

I submitted my license app in March, just a few days before Supreme Leader Murphy enacted is never-ending executive orders that somehow keeps every government employee at home. Every email and every phone, no matter how I word it, gets the same response: nothing. In fact, it's been so long that my check has expired, since you only have 6 months to cash it. Crazy that "only 6 months" is the new phrase to use these days with NJ's government employees... I'm sure if I mailed in a winning lottery ticket, they'd do the legal thing and check their mail :bang:

During normal times, it took me around a week or two to get mine. And that was with snail mail. With everything being digital now, I assume even sooner (I actually need to renew mine for my job so hopefully renewals are even quicker lol)