New Jersey state residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dent2009

YEEE BOI
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard in the past that it's easy for out of staters to switch residency status to get in-state tuition at UMDNJ. I've been accepted there and hope that I can do this. Can anybody shed some light on this? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

SO I found this in the UMNDJ policy which was revised 4/10/08:

"Residence established solely for the purpose of attending UMDNJ does not constitute domicile for tuition purposes." HOWEVER, interestingly enough I found this on the next page:

"2. Students residing in New Jersey for a period less than twelve (12) months before first enrolling at UMDNJ are presumed not to be domiciled in New Jersey unless evidence of establishment of domicile in New Jersey is provided. This evidence must include both a. and b. below: (I guess this would be me since if i choose UMDNJ i'd move in maybe a few weeks before school starts. NOTE: they define domicile in the policy as "the place where a student has his or her true, fixed, permanent home and principal establishment (does this mean i can't stay at a dorm?perhaps i have to stay at a house?), and to which, whenever he or she is absent, he or she has the intention of returning.

a. copies of a self-supporting student’s New Jersey resident income tax return (bearing a New Jersey address) for the most recent tax year or a parent’s or legal guardian’s New Jersey resident income tax return (bearing a New Jersey address) for the most recent tax year; and

b. evidence of ownership of or a current long-term (at least one year) lease on a permanent residence in New Jersey by the student or his/her parent(s) or legal guardian(s).

So the key to getting out of part VI.B.2.a (the NJ income tax return part above) for me and other out of staters seems to be:

3. If the evidence described in Section VI. B. 2. a. above (i.e., New Jersey resident income tax returns) cannot be produced, then the following may be substituted (in addition to the evidence described in Section VI. B. 2. b. above, i.e., ownership or lease of a permanent residence):

a. (1) current driver’s license from New Jersey. Driver’s licenses from other states must be replaced by one from New Jersey; and
(2) New Jersey vehicle registration if the student owns or leases an automobile.

b. If the student will not be operating a vehicle in New Jersey, he or she must... (well i'll be driving so this doesn't apply to me)

So essentially, to receive in-state tuition, i'd just have to change my car reg and license to NJ? Is that it? or am I missing something?

To those out of staters that went or are currently attending UMDNJ - was any of this different when you first matriculated? Please help me! Thanks in advance!

Yeah all you need is at least a 1 year lease, your nj license and vehicle registration. If you get all that in the first week then you can apply right away for instate tuition.