new job as a sex therapist’s assistant, is this health care

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted917883

I was wondering if this could be counted as a health care experience even though my boss is a licensed psychologist rather than a medical doctor. I wouldn’t be dealing with patients directly in the therapy session, but I’d be involved with things like insurance and communicating on social platforms about having healthy relationships. The receptionist part is akin to a medical office one. I know friends who have worked in a doctor’s office as a receptionist and it was counted as a clinical experience. What do you think? Am I stretching the definition of health care experience?

Members don't see this ad.

It wouldn't hurt. If you are doing this for the sole purpose of gaining clinical experience, I'd recommend you take a look at other options. You really want to be in an environment where you are dealing directly with the patient care aspect. Even if its just a fly on the wall gig like a scribe or hospital volunteer (not a front desk volunteer).

Reactions: 1 user
If I were you I would want to get direct patient contact rather than dealing with insurance and all that. However, If you plan to keep this job, maybe do some volunteering at a hospital on the side where you have more direct contact.

Members don't see this ad :)
If I were you I would want to get direct patient contact rather than dealing with insurance and all that. However, If you plan to keep this job, maybe do some volunteering at a hospital on the side where you have more direct contact.

Thanks! I'm trying to hit healthcare + make money as part of my gap year, and this job seems really fun. But you're right, I should try to get some actual patient-contact experience in a hospital. The thing is, I'm trying to show that I've somehow changed or improved my application if I do not end up getting accepted this cycle.
I've moved back home and at my local hospitals, you start at the gift shop for a year before you're allowed to be on the nurse's floors. I've gone through this process already when I volunteered at my university's hospital during undergrad, and it was a great experience learning about a hospital's inter-workings from the grassroots-up. However, wouldn't this be seen as a repetitive activity if I did it here?
I've thought about doing patient care tech, but I don't have the time or funds for that CNA license at the moment.

Honestly, this sounds like a joke. I wouldn't take this experience seriously if I saw it on paper, but maybe some others out there feel differently.

Honestly, this sounds like a joke. I wouldn't take this experience seriously if I saw it on paper, but maybe some others out there feel differently.
:laugh::laugh::laugh: I know what you mean! I thought the same when I saw the job title. But trust me, just think of it as a marriage and family counseling clinic.

:laugh::laugh::laugh: I know what you mean! I thought the same when I saw the job title. But trust me, just think of it as a marriage and family counseling clinic.
If that is basically what it is, I would recommend you list it as such. Not to say that sex therapy isn't important/real, but definitely could rub some people the wrong way when looking at your app just due to the name you used to describe it

Most def list this. So many premeds have the same flipping resumes, the same achievements.

Sports awards? Get in line. Good grades? Get in line. Good MCAT? Get in line. Research? Get in line. Some lame ass hospital volunteering? Get in line. Working for a sex therapist and actually working with people to help them in their relationships as a part of the mind/body/spirit model of healthcare? That ****'s interesting, probably all I would wanna talk to you about if I were interviewing you.