New laptop

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

saffe94

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone buying a new laptop before school starts in the fall?

I've had a Macbook Pro all through college and it's lasted me for around 6 years. Been a great machine but sadly it's slowing down and I know it won't make the next 4. I've been looking mainly at replacing the Macbook or the Surface Book/Surface Pro. The pro seems too flimsy and the book is pretty expensive...

Would appreciate insight into what laptops you guys have use/plan on using. I'll probably wait till Grad sales in June to buy.

Members don't see this ad.

If it’s just for school, the Surface Pro is really all you need to get through it and get through it well. It runs basic 3D programs like Complete Anatomy and also has pen-and-touch capabilities that make productivity and studying very intuitive.

There is really no point to the surface book without a dedicated GPU, as there are plenty of superior laptop choices out there. So if you were to truly commit to a surface book, you’d set yourself back pretty close to $2000. And even then, you should opt for a larger SSD configuration and in the end you’re going to be set back a lot more, think $3000. On the plus side, reviewers have stated that the Surface Book is the single best laptop experience out there (15-inch with GTX 1060) but you’re going to have to pay the premium if you want it.

Been wanting to pull the trigger on the new Vaio S 13 in Japan. Going to hold off and keep with my Sony Vaio fit (5 years) though, more like a computer now since I have to charge everywhere I go. I feel In going to drop a lot of money going in and will buy one the following year.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think I'm going to buy this one: Costco Wholesale

(+) Really powerful, touchscreen, Lenovo is supposedly one of the best laptops for longevity, cheap-ish, from costco so you automatically get a 1 year warranty extension.
(-) a little bulky, active pen stylus needs to be charged and could be lost

Reactions: 1 user
Thinking of upgrading my lenovo 910 - no pen - with a lenovo yoga 920 - pen compatible. How helpful are those pens for med school studying?

Thinking of upgrading my lenovo 910 - no pen - with a lenovo 920 - pen compatible. How helpful are those pens for med school studying?

I wouldn't do that just yet. I'm pretty sure the 930s are coming out soon. They've announced 730 and 530, so it'll probably be in a few months.

I looked at the surface pro, but ended up going with the HP spectre x360 since I wanted an 8th gen processor and a 512 SSD because it was about 1/2 the price compared to a similar surface pro with a 7th gen processor.

Like other people have suggested the Yoga has good reviews as does the asus zenbook. The HP just happened to be on sale when I bought it and the others weren't.

:confused: My school requires incoming MS1s buy a certain brand of laptop that it already picked out, and there are only 3 models. I have never had any luck with the particular laptop brand. No flexibility at all...

I looked at the surface pro, but ended up going with the HP spectre x360 since I wanted an 8th gen processor and a 512 SSD because it was about 1/2 the price compared to a similar surface pro with a 7th gen processor.

Like other people have suggested the Yoga has good reviews as does the asus zenbook. The HP just happened to be on sale when I bought it and the others weren't.
Are you talking about the 15.6 spectre with Nvidia graphics or the new one with intel-amd hybrid?

I have a lenovo miix - about half the price of a surface pro for the same specs or better. It looks as stylish as the surface pro IMO. The nice thing about PCs (or non Macs) is that the software and hardware are all the same so for the most part it doesn't really matter what manufacturer you go with.

Thinking of upgrading my lenovo 910 - no pen - with a lenovo yoga 920 - pen compatible. How helpful are those pens for med school studying?
very helpful. i'm almost convinced my studying is not as effective without a pen that i can grab and highlight/write notes directly on the screen.

Reactions: 1 users
If it’s just for school, the Surface Pro is really all you need to get through it and get through it well. It runs basic 3D programs like Complete Anatomy and also has pen-and-touch capabilities that make productivity and studying very intuitive.

There is really no point to the surface book without a dedicated GPU, as there are plenty of superior laptop choices out there. So if you were to truly commit to a surface book, you’d set yourself back pretty close to $2000. And even then, you should opt for a larger SSD configuration and in the end you’re going to be set back a lot more, think $3000. On the plus side, reviewers have stated that the Surface Book is the single best laptop experience out there (15-inch with GTX 1060) but you’re going to have to pay the premium if you want it.

I want a surface book so bad. Did you buy one and do you think it's worth the price? I would want it to last me a LONG time for 2.5-3k.