This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lianguine

Reaction score
I’m from MA, so the only school near me is Tufts. Originally, I was thinking 3-4 schools maybe 5, but I keep going back and forth. Half of me wants to drop my eggs in one basket (did I say that right?) so I can go to my top school. The other half of me just wants to get the application process over with. This half is perfectly fine with going OOS if I were accepted. Since it's Tufts, IS vs OOS tuition isn't really an issue.

Pros:
  • I’m a home-body and stayed IS for undergrad. I like being familiar with the land, people, and places around.
  • My mother is older and I don’t want to be too far just in case something happens. Most of my family is in MA, too.
  • I’d be saving money from other applications
  • Less expensive travel
  • If I don’t get in, I’d get more time to relax from school, get experience, and mature in general. Also paying off my undergrad loans lol

Cons:
  • More likely to not get in.
  • If I’m rejected, I’m worried it will take many cycles to get in. Even if I did apply to many schools. See my WAMC post for my stats. I feel like a mediocre candidate
  • Going OOS: I’ll be away from my pets. My mom said she could take care of them while I’m gone, but that's a big responsibility to put on her for 4+ years
  • OOS travel + living costs, adapting to new culture, etc.
  • I’m worried about staying in touch with my academic references after graduating. I’m not worried about them writing a good rec, but I think it might be awkward to go back next cycle or even later.

Idk, I’m just really anxious about all this haha. A lot of it is “what if” mentality. Am I being unreasonable or naive? Is it worth it to apply to one? Thanks in advance!

tl;dr - I like being close to home so I was thinking of only applying to my IS school Tufts, but I'm worried about having to reapply. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

If you don't get in the first time, each year is another opportunity to improve your application. I wouldn't worry too much about the academic references if you have good relationships with them now. Send them a thank you gift for the recommendation letter and send them emails to update them on your acceptance statuses. They want you to succeed and have lots of experience writing rec letters, so it'll probably be okay.

Moving out of state can be difficult - I wasn't alone moving for vet school (my pets + bf joined me) but it still took an emotional/mental toll on me. The hardest thing so far was my infant niece passed away and I had to make arrangements to fly home in the middle of the quarter. I know I'm going to miss weddings and funerals and such while in school, but there are some things you will feel you cannot miss. If your pets and mother are heavily reliant on you, consider that. If you have close relatives who can help your mother while you're in school, going OOS will be okay. School is a top priority, but mental health and other responsibilities come first.

Reactions: 1 user
As someone who went through multiple cycles, I can hopefully give you some perspective from both sides!

My first year applying I only applied to my IS school. Similar to you I'm very much a homebody, wasn't really ready to move hours away from my family, and Virginia-Maryland is literally 20 minutes from where I grew up. I was waitlisted on my first cycle, set up an interview feedback session, and spent that time working on some of those weaknesses and improving my application. I graduated from undergrad that same year, but took a couple classes so that I could apply to more schools the next cycle (which is what I had planned on if I wasn't immediately accepted).

My next 2 cycles I applied to 4 and 6 schools. To pick these I put a lot of thought into how far from home they were, what the general area was like at each one, and how much of a difference the OOS tuition would be compared to my IS.

A lot of it will come down to what you personally want to prioritize. From the time I started applying I set a hard limit that I was giving myself 3 cycles, so that helped me justify only applying IS my first year. Ultimately I did end up being accepted and stayed at my IS, but it was nice to know that I had options.

Members don't see this ad :)
I also only applied to my IS my first time applying! My second cycle (this past one) of applying I applied to a lot more schools to increase my chances. However, after improvement I ended up getting into my IS anyway. Personally I liked applying to multiple schools my second time applying because it made me feel more mentally secure if that makes sense (more options, more chances, really "shoot my shot", more chances for feedback). Each school is looking for something a little different so I really wanted to make sure I was trying all options when I started to feel like I was running out of time (6 years out from prerequisites).

If you don't get in the first time, each year is another opportunity to improve your application. I wouldn't worry too much about the academic references if you have good relationships with them now. Send them a thank you gift for the recommendation letter and send them emails to update them on your acceptance statuses. They want you to succeed and have lots of experience writing rec letters, so it'll probably be okay.

Moving out of state can be difficult - I wasn't alone moving for vet school (my pets + bf joined me) but it still took an emotional/mental toll on me. The hardest thing so far was my infant niece passed away and I had to make arrangements to fly home in the middle of the quarter. I know I'm going to miss weddings and funerals and such while in school, but there are some things you will feel you cannot miss. If your pets and mother are heavily reliant on you, consider that. If you have close relatives who can help your mother while you're in school, going OOS will be okay. School is a top priority, but mental health and other responsibilities come first.
I'm sorry to hear about your niece :( Yeah, I don't really like the idea of being far from home especially since so much can happen if I'm gone. I think the idea of being OOS is nice and rosy, but there's a lot more to the reality of it. I probably will be alone for the travel, so that's another thing to think about. Thank you!

As someone who went through multiple cycles, I can hopefully give you some perspective from both sides!

My first year applying I only applied to my IS school. Similar to you I'm very much a homebody, wasn't really ready to move hours away from my family, and Virginia-Maryland is literally 20 minutes from where I grew up. I was waitlisted on my first cycle, set up an interview feedback session, and spent that time working on some of those weaknesses and improving my application. I graduated from undergrad that same year, but took a couple classes so that I could apply to more schools the next cycle (which is what I had planned on if I wasn't immediately accepted).

My next 2 cycles I applied to 4 and 6 schools. To pick these I put a lot of thought into how far from home they were, what the general area was like at each one, and how much of a difference the OOS tuition would be compared to my IS.

A lot of it will come down to what you personally want to prioritize. From the time I started applying I set a hard limit that I was giving myself 3 cycles, so that helped me justify only applying IS my first year. Ultimately I did end up being accepted and stayed at my IS, but it was nice to know that I had options.
I might do the same! Getting closer to deciding about just one school. I've been hearing about a lot of people applying to one school their 1st cycle then more for cycles after. Like RazzJazz did, I'll probably cast a wider net once I feel like my pre-reqs are getting too old.

I’m from MA, so the only school near me is Tufts. Originally, I was thinking 3-4 schools maybe 5, but I keep going back and forth. Half of me wants to drop my eggs in one basket (did I say that right?) so I can go to my top school. The other half of me just wants to get the application process over with. This half is perfectly fine with going OOS if I were accepted. Since it's Tufts, IS vs OOS tuition isn't really an issue.

Pros:
  • I’m a home-body and stayed IS for undergrad. I like being familiar with the land, people, and places around.
  • My mother is older and I don’t want to be too far just in case something happens. Most of my family is in MA, too.
  • I’d be saving money from other applications
  • Less expensive travel
  • If I don’t get in, I’d get more time to relax from school, get experience, and mature in general. Also paying off my undergrad loans lol

Cons:
  • More likely to not get in.
  • If I’m rejected, I’m worried it will take many cycles to get in. Even if I did apply to many schools. See my WAMC post for my stats. I feel like a mediocre candidate
  • Going OOS: I’ll be away from my pets. My mom said she could take care of them while I’m gone, but that's a big responsibility to put on her for 4+ years
  • OOS travel + living costs, adapting to new culture, etc.
  • I’m worried about staying in touch with my academic references after graduating. I’m not worried about them writing a good rec, but I think it might be awkward to go back next cycle or even later.

Idk, I’m just really anxious about all this haha. A lot of it is “what if” mentality. Am I being unreasonable or naive? Is it worth it to apply to one? Thanks in advance!

tl;dr - I like being close to home so I was thinking of only applying to my IS school Tufts, but I'm worried about having to reapply. Thoughts?
Weighing in on this, I can relate to your struggles a lot. This last cycle was my first time applying and I only applied to my IS...(currently waitlisted, but pretty high up so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.) A lot of people gave me a hard time about it and I'm not sure why. I think it's financially a good decision, and also a good decision for your mental health in a lot of cases. You just have to think about where your priorities lie. I will say if you choose to apply to your IS only, you should be prepared to accept the fact that you do have a higher possibility of not getting in on your first cycle. Personally, going to my IS means so much to me that I am willing to wait longer if it means going somewhere I really want to be. If I don't end up getting in this cycle, I'll probably only apply IS one more year and then open up to more possibilities if it falls through again. I completely understand where you're coming from but don't stress over it. A lot of opinions fly around in the vet school application process, but you just have to learn early on to tone it out. Do what's best for you and things will work out in time. Even as things stand right now, I don't regret my decision at all.

Oh and as far as your cons list, I really wouldn't worry about falling out of touch with your references, I find that people are always more willing to help you out than you think and you may even meet some new ones in the meantime:)

I also think another pro of applying to one school only is that you can really focus on creating an application that caters to their specific standard.. may improve your chances of getting the school you really want.

Reactions: 1 users
I'll also weigh in on this as someone planning to do this for the C/O of 2029. I am focusing on getting really good ties at the University and CVM. I'm both a student and (as of Monday) work there. It's honestly a pretty big risk as Illinois gets a ton of applicants lately. For me, getting the ties and current CVM Professors/Instructors writing my letters is incredibly important.

You should also want to go to your in-state. If you know deep down a different school would be a better fit for whatever reason. It's going to be a hard 4 years, so if you know a 2+2 would be better really think about it. I love Illinois as a school. I moved out here once for the University. I really want to stay here, and that will hopefully come through in my application.

I'll also weigh in on this as someone planning to do this for the C/O of 2029. I am focusing on getting really good ties at the University and CVM. I'm both a student and (as of Monday) work there. It's honestly a pretty big risk as Illinois gets a ton of applicants lately. For me, getting the ties and current CVM Professors/Instructors writing my letters is incredibly important.

You should also want to go to your in-state. If you know deep down a different school would be a better fit for whatever reason. It's going to be a hard 4 years, so if you know a 2+2 would be better really think about it. I love Illinois as a school. I moved out here once for the University. I really want to stay here, and that will hopefully come through in my application.
I toured Tufts once and definitely think it would be a good fit for me. One of the biggest regrets I have is not getting involved in the school during undergrad since my school is only 20 min away. Like damn, what what I thinking! lol but I'm still going to keep my mind open about other schools, just in case.

Good luck, fingers crossed that we both get in!

I will say if you choose to apply to your IS only, you should be prepared to accept the fact that you do have a higher possibility of not getting in on your first cycle. Personally, going to my IS means so much to me that I am willing to wait longer if it means going somewhere I really want to be.
This is mostly what is keeping me from/pushing me to only applying to one. I'm trying to break down that feeling inside of me that needs to get everything done ASAP (like applying and getting in), because I know I have time and it's a long process. I'm getting closer to graduation and I've been busy and overwhelmed and ready for a break, which is helping me be okay with possibly getting a rejection - more time for experience/learning and less time rigorously studying.

Thank you, and hope you get off that waitlist!

This is mostly what is keeping me from/pushing me to only applying to one. I'm trying to break down that feeling inside of me that needs to get everything done ASAP (like applying and getting in), because I know I have time and it's a long process. I'm getting closer to graduation and I've been busy and overwhelmed and ready for a break, which is helping me be okay with possibly getting a rejection - more time for experience/learning and less time rigorously studying.

Thank you, and hope you get off that waitlist!
I totally get that feeling, but a break is not a bad thing either. Treat it as a time to get a ton of relevant experience that will make you stand out from other applicants... especially try to land a job at a clinic if you haven't already!

Reactions: 1 users