New MSAR is out

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
gettheleadout...for some reason I always thought you were a guy, until right now when I read your mdApps.

Members don't see this ad.

gettheleadout...for some reason I always thought you were a guy, until right now when I read your mdApps.

Haha I'm a guy; I changed my MDApps along with my avatar in an effort to A: see who would notice and B: throw off people that might identify me on here (mainly this.) Think wrong gender is too far?

:ninja:

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know when this will be available on Amazon? I'd rather not pay for the shipping fee.

Does anyone know when this will be on a torrent site? I'd rather not pay at all.

Wut?

Haha I'm a guy; I changed my MDApps along with my avatar in an effort to A: see who would notice and B: throw off people that might identify me on here (mainly this.) Think wrong gender is too far?

:ninja:

I miss your old Patrick Star avatar.

LOL @ Astrology.

Also, a median of 33 isn't too bad.....it's a median guys - not the minimum score.

i was trying to buy the guidebook so i created an AAMC account. When i go to checkout it asks me for "organization". What do i select? the current school i go to now?

Dawkins is an intelligent man with good ideas, but I think he goes kind of overboard with his whole crusade against religion. It's a futile effort. I think that he, as an evolutionary biologist, should know that religion/belief in God is most likely a consequence of our highly developed brain (ironically). Religion may be irrational, but it's not going anywhere, it's built into our being.

anyways...I hope the median really isn't a 33.
No doubt in regards to our brain's development. Either way, I feel that atheism is a sign of advanced development or possibly a ******ation of a certain area of our brain.

Dawkins is an anti-theist, while you and I are just regular atheists. I'm not against people thinking what they want, but I am against anyone who tells me that I'll be infinitely punished for a finite crime. (My last comment on the matter by the way)

Now, back on topic. Which version would you SDNers recommend, the online version or wait for the book in the snail mail?

So, the median has been confirmed to be a 33?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anybody know if this will be available through Amazon soon? It has a listing, it's just out of stock right now... It has said that since before this became available, which leads to believe that they never ran out, they just never got some in the first place.

i was trying to buy the guidebook so i created an AAMC account. When i go to checkout it asks me for "organization". What do i select? the current school i go to now?
Go to other, and then type in N/A for organization. I was told this by AAMC.

what does school VS usmedian mean?

It's a comparison of the stats from a specific school's accepted applicant pool to the median of all accepted student of all US schools. The specific school wasn't specified....
It's similar to the confusing graph provided for every school in last year's MSAR. It's much clearer in table form.
That's what it looks like at least.

Yeah, that's the new one from an ultrasound I had like 3 1/2 weeks ago. I'll update it again in about 5 weeks. :D

That is a screenshot from the online MSAR showing a US med school in comparison to all matriculants of US allopathic schools. The median for matriculants this year is, once again, a 32.

The table goes on to indicate the range of scores for matriculants in each section (verbal, writing, bio, and physical sciences).

I see. I got tripped up in the headings of "10th percentile" under US median. At the time, it didn't make sense to me thinking of "10th percentile and US median" simultaneously. Nimrod moment. :smuggrin:

My writing and numerical score is exactly the median, lol.. I'm just.. Average.

And I just realized.. my individual section scores are also median.. awesome..

Last edited:
My writing and numerical score is exactly the median, lol.. I'm just.. Average.

Average for accepted students. Not for applicants.

Also does anyone know if they count the scores multiple times for people that have multiple acceptances (I know they do that for individual schools and it really inflates the scores because alot of the people with 35+ MCAT's don't end up going there but end up being counted in the "accepted median scores")

Average for accepted students. Not for applicants.

Also does anyone know if they count the scores multiple times for people that have multiple acceptances (I know they do that for individual schools and it really inflates the scores because alot of the people with 35+ MCAT's don't end up going there but end up being counted in the "accepted median scores")

The MSAR reports acceptee data, not matriculant data. To my knowledge, they have a pile of 'accepted somewhere' and 'not accepted anywhere' to generate the national averages, though.

The MSAR reports acceptee data, not matriculant data. To my knowledge, they have a pile of 'accepted somewhere' and 'not accepted anywhere' to generate the national averages, though.

I have read and heard that they count each acceptance to a school multiple times.. Someone with a 37 MCAT who is accepted to six schools counts as six acceptances so the median (and mean) are obviously skewed to the higher end because someone with a 29 who gets into one school only counts once.. It makes sense they do it like this because they just get an accepted list from each school overall to my knowledge

This is the 2012-2013 MSAR. Does that mean it's a year ahead of this coming application cycle? If I wanted to apply this year, would this MSAR, or the 2011-2012 version be better?

Thanks

This is the 2012-2013 MSAR. Does that mean it's a year ahead of this coming application cycle? If I wanted to apply this year, would this MSAR, or the 2011-2012 version be better?

Thanks

:laugh: Not sure if serious.

Definitely the old data. (Of course not!)

Are you sure you don't have that backwards? Every school posts the number of students matriculating with their GPA's and MCAT scores scaled to 10%, median, and 90th percentile.

Unless they've changed it recently, the MCAT data is for accepted students, which tends to skew upwards because students with higher stats get acceptances at numerous places and subsequently withdraw. Now, if you go to a school's website, you can usually find their entering class profile and THAT is the matriculant data for each school.

Unless they've changed it recently, the MCAT data is for accepted students, which tends to skew upwards because students with higher stats get acceptances at numerous places and subsequently withdraw. Now, if you go to a school's website, you can usually find their entering class profile and THAT is the matriculant data for each school.

+1. Exactly right.

Please note that posting screen shots of content from MSAR® Online is a violation of the MSAR Terms and Conditions you accept prior to accessing the MSAR® Online site. Violation of these terms may result in termination of your MSAR Online access, without refund, or in further legal action against you.

MSAR Staff

Please note that posting screen shots of content from MSAR® Online is a violation of the MSAR Terms and Conditions you accept prior to accessing the MSAR® Online site. Violation of these terms may result in termination of your MSAR Online access, without refund, or in further legal action against you.

MSAR Staff

:confused: Even they check SDN?

I seem to remember a thread awhile back, where the OP was facing action from the aamc for posting MCAT content on SDN. Sounded like SDN turned over his name/personal info to the aamc. I'm too lazy to Check my facts or post a link...

I seem to remember a thread awhile back, where the OP was facing action from the aamc for posting MCAT content on SDN. Sounded like SDN turned over his name/personal info to the aamc. I'm too lazy to Check my facts or post a link...

They will turn over your email, that's for sure.

I just got the "old" MSAR last semester...are there any significant differences between the two?

Have any of you already received the hard copy of the MSAR 2012-2013? How many days did it take for you to get it after you had ordered it?

^^^ it should be here by Thursday or Friday..

how are the medians for top schools now? are any above 35/36 except WashU and Chicago?

Is this information that can be posted? If not, don't answer as I don't want you to get in trouble!