New Pharmacy Schools in California

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

John T

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
what is everyones' thoughts on attending a new pharmacy school in California (Pre-candidate, candidate)?? pros and cons?

I ultimately want to practice in California for clinical/residency.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone,
what is everyones' thoughts on attending a new pharmacy school in California (Pre-candidate, candidate)?? pros and cons?

Hate to break it to ya but California is one of the most saturated states when it comes to pharmacy. There are so many schools and graduates its ridiculous. As competitive as residency and jobs are, i would refrain from limiting yourself, before you even start.

I understand that it is saturated so that’s why I plan on making myself stand as much as I can. But as for preferences I hope to practice in California eventually meaning I can practice else where for now.

I understand that it is saturated so that’s why I plan on making myself stand as much as I can. But as for preferences I hope to practice in California eventually meaning I can practice else where for now.

Everyone thinks they will stand out and win. Only one person can become the President of the United States or a Victor of the Hunger Games.

Reactions: 1 users
UCFS is considered the best school of pharmacy.

Hello everyone,

Most of the new pharm schools popping up in California are expensive since they're all private. Even the older private programs like UOP are 70k/year for tuition alone which is ridiculous. If you can, better to find a state school (if you get accepted) or an out of state with cheaper tuition/cost of living. If I remember correctly, the brand new schools don't qualify for federal loans (at least that's what happened when I applied), so then you're stuck with a heftier .

Besides the money part, new schools are still working out the kinks in their curriculum. So be prepared for constant changes. On top of that, there's no guarantee that the school will get accreditation. That's a whole other can of worms that you can read about on the other posts.

Of the list that you posted, the only two I would consider going too is Loma Linda and UOP. I don't trust the other schools because they're too new to tell.

Most of the new pharm schools popping up in California are expensive since they're all private. Even the older private programs like UOP are 70k/year for tuition alone which is ridiculous. If you can, better to find a state school (if you get accepted) or an out of state with cheaper tuition/cost of living. If I remember correctly, the brand new schools don't qualify for federal loans (at least that's what happened when I applied), so then you're stuck with a heftier .

Besides the money part, new schools are still working out the kinks in their curriculum. So be prepared for constant changes. On top of that, there's no guarantee that the school will get accreditation. That's a whole other can of worms that you can read about on the other posts.

Of the list that you posted, the only two I would consider going too is Loma Linda and UOP. I don't trust the other schools because they're too new to tell.

The only school that doesn’t do federal loans is Northstate which I most likely won’t consider. I got into an out of state school in Indiana but I’m been hearing people that the school didn’t prepare students for Naplex and professors aren’t helpful down the road. I am waiting on Washington but it’s been 3 weeks already and they said they would get back to me mid March.

So it’s either this California school or do the masters Touro school if I didn’t get into Washington but I figured it be a waste of more Loans and time if I did that.

Stay away from west coast university's pharmacy program. They don't care about students and every student right now is complaining since they got their accreditation. I have never heard of staff including teachers and advisors to lack compassion and any form of humbleness. I know current second year students trying to look into transferring out. They are doing everything in their power to ensure students life is as difficult as can be. Have you heard of second year pharmacy class almost half the students fail?

Stay away from west coast university's pharmacy program. They don't care about students and every student right now is complaining since they got their accreditation. I have never heard of staff including teachers and advisors to lack compassion and any form of humbleness. I know current second year students trying to look into transferring out. They are doing everything in their power to ensure students life is as difficult as can be. Have you heard of second year pharmacy class almost half the students fail?
Please elaborate while I eat my popcorn.

Wouldn’t they lose accreditation or get into trouble if they fail half their classes?

Please elaborate while I eat my popcorn.

Wouldn’t they lose accreditation or get into trouble if they fail half their classes?
I think so if those students are not able to remediate their exams. Point is if classes are taught better then there would not be the need to do that. Obviously if theses students got accepted into pharmacy school means they are smart enough to pass the classes. Each course is being taught by many professors each with their technique. Adjustment is difficult and they dont have an open door policy. By the time you email and get an appointment to see the professors it is time for another exam. This is all i hear daily from friends and colleagues. I have never heard of a school be this juvenile in their approach and care for the students who are the reason why they are even getting a salary.

it's 80K/year now(79+ K to be precise)lol not including living cost.

it's 80K/year now(79+ K to be precise)lol not including living cost.
Honestly doesn't make any financial sense to become a pharmacist anymore. Saturation doesn't just increase unemployment, it decreases salary as well (simple laws of supply and demand). As you all probably heard from the news and recent forum posts here, companies are cutting hours and hiring new grads up to $10/hr less than they did last year. Let's say by the time you graduate, the new norm is $50/hr at 32 hr/week... You'll be making $83,200 salary or $6933 per month. About 1/3 of that will go to taxes, health insurance, 401k... So you're left with net of $4622 per month.

With tuition of 80k a year, you'll end up with over 320k of debt when you graduate. Assuming interest rate of 6%, if you get on a ten year repayment plan, your monthly loan payments will be $3553. So 4622- 3553... You're left $1069 per month. That's not even enough to pay rent for one bedroom in Cali. Your take home pay will basically be less than half national average take home income even though you have a doctorate lol.

Last edited:
1.jpeg
Honestly doesn't make any financial sense to become a pharmacist anymore. Saturation doesn't just increase unemployment, it decreases salary as well (simple laws of supply and demand). As you all probably heard from the news and recent forum posts here, companies are cutting hours and hiring new grads up to $10/hr less than they did last year. Let's say by the time you graduate, the new norm is $50/hr at 32 hr/week... You'll be making $83,200 salary or $6933 per month. About 1/3 of that will go to taxes, health insurance, 401k... So you're left with net of $4622 per month.

With tuition of 80k a year, you'll end up with over 320k of debt when you graduate. Assuming interest rate of 6%, if you get on a ten year repayment plan, your monthly loan payments will be $3553. So 4622- 3553... You're left $1069 per month. That's not even enough to pay rent for one bedroom in Cali. Your take home pay will basically be less than half national average take home income even though you have a doctorate lol.
UOP is expensive, but cheap in state pharmacy school like UCSF and UCSD are hard to get in. People still apply UOP as backup plan. And this question "new pharm schools in CA" has already been discussed in reddit and I saw some interesting comment.
View attachment 242002

View attachment 242003
UOP is expensive, but cheap in state pharmacy school like UCSF and UCSD are hard to get in. People still apply UOP as backup plan. And this question "new pharm schools in CA" has already been discussed in reddit and I saw some interesting comment.
View attachment 242002
Why even apply to UOP as a backup plan? Unless your backup plan is to share an apartment with 5 other people for 10 years after graduating and never even being able to afford a down payment on a mortgage lol.

UCSF definitely still one of the top schools so let’s hope they don’t lower their standards like a lot of other schools. Looks like they’re moving on to a 3 year program at $50,981 per year. That ends up being $152,943 total for 3 years. Assuming 6% interest rate and 10 year repayment plan, you’ll pay $1698 per month towards loans. Assuming same salary expectation as my above post, your take home after taxes, health ins, 401k, and loans will be $2924 per month. Currently average take home pay in the US is $4362 per month (What America's Average Take-Home Pay Looks Like Compared to Other Countries). So you’ll end up making about 2/3 of what the national average is for 10 years. More manageable than UOP yes, but worth it considering it’s a doctorate degree? I think not. I’m glad I have my current $120k a year job and only have a year and a half left on my loans. If in 4 years, I end up with only a $80k salary due to saturation then that’s fine - I will be still be satisfied with that because I’ll be student debt free. But anyone considering entering pharmacy school now is crazy IMO

To those of you who attend or have graduated from pharmacy schools in Southern California recently, how are your rotation sites?

Hello everyone,

1) “New” school in “Cali” with “pre-candidate” status? .....No.....

2) Go to cheapest school...Get a 4.0 GPA, intern, do research and community service, buy a $2,000 suit when applying for PGY-1 interview.

If you follow #2 you’ll not only have a better shot in residency, you’ll pocket six figures by not attending a “New” school in “California.”

Does anyone have any input on how the rotation sites are for California schools?