NEW requirements for AIR FORCE HPSP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zriceman

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I just got off the phone with my recruiter and he was told that this year the Air Force got rid of the matrix qualification and made a new qualification of 3.5+ GPA and minimum of 18 DAT (I assume thats for AA) to in order for an applicant to be even considered.

Just want to share what I was told by my recruiter today.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi All,

I just got off the phone with my recruiter and he was told that this year the Air Force got rid of the matrix qualification and made a new qualification of 3.5+ GPA and minimum of 18 DAT (I assume thats for AA) to in order for an applicant to be even considered.

Just want to share what I was told by my recruiter today.

z-man, clarification needed here. So, are you sayig that to be even considered for an HPSP scholarship int he AF, you will need to have a minimum of a 3.5 GPA and minimum of 18 on the DAT? All others need not apply?

Man, that's too bad that they got rid of the matrix qualification. That definitely saved me some time and worry when filling out the app. But I guess it also gives everyone a fair shot at receiving a scholarship and makes it less about it being "first come, first serve."

Members don't see this ad :)
z-man, clarification needed here. So, are you sayig that to be even considered for an HPSP scholarship int he AF, you will need to have a minimum of a 3.5 GPA and minimum of 18 on the DAT? All others need not apply?

Yes Navy DDS that is what my recruiter told me.

Yes Navy DDS that is what my recruiter told me.

Interesting. That isn't what I was told last week. The matrix qualification thing wasn't all it was cracked up to be. We did want to do away with the "first come first serve" part of it. However, I was told that you could still apply if you had less than a 3.5 GPA. Instead of being matrix qualified, you would still meet a competitive board. Some (not many) that were originally matrix qualified have not lived up to their potential in dental school. Some haven't completed certain requirements for licensing and/or have had to repeat a year.

I'll have to check on this. If this has changed this fast, I'll be surprised.

Interesting. That isn't what I was told last week. The matrix qualification thing wasn't all it was cracked up to be. We did want to do away with the "first come first serve" part of it. However, I was told that you could still apply if you had less than a 3.5 GPA. Instead of being matrix qualified, you would still meet a competitive board. Some (not many) that were originally matrix qualified have not lived up to their potential in dental school. Some haven't completed certain requirements for licensing and/or have had to repeat a year.

I'll have to check on this. If this has changed this fast, I'll be surprised.

Thanks AFDDS, this was told to me by my recruiter today who was informed of the "change" according to him two weeks ago.

I was also told the same thing by my recruiter. I have a 23 AA / 23 PAT DAT scores and a 3.49 overall GPA and he told me I might not be eligible. (3.95 BCP GPA as well).

He called me recently, however, and said they were making exceptions for people who had significantly higher than 18 DAT scores and close to the 3.5, so my application is in.

if thats the case, that 18 min DAT.. seems a little too easy.. . and being the fact that the avg accepted students are 18 already.. thats kinda like saying . gpa 3.5 is the only factor...

i personally think its easier to get 3.5 gpa than a 21 DAT.. i wish someone there would b smart enough to figure that one out.

I got some news from AFPC today. 3.5 and 18 are still the "matrix" qualifications. However, everyone now meets a board, so it's not an automatic qualification. Also, if you have a GPA lower than 3.5, but your DAT is over 18, you will be able to be considered. I'm not sure this has made it out to all recruiters yet.

Some will wonder why the matrix isn't automatic anymore. See my post on advice to new or potential HPSP students. Pass your National Boards.

The requirements for the Air Force Dental Corps HPSP for this upcoming fiscal year have been changed a bit.

For the past few years, USAF Dental Corps and AF Recruiting Service had a "matrix". This matrix was a combination of the DAT and the GPA.

The DAT (academic average) score had to equal 19 or higher and the undergrad GPA composite had to be 3.5 or higher. Those that met the "matrix" were automatic selections for the HPSP. Those that didn't meet the matrix could be selected but would be placed in an "alternate select" status. This alternate select status meant that if any of the "selects" could not fulfill with the HPSP (not get picked up by dental school, injury rendering them physically disqualified, etc...) One of the alternates would take their place.

This FY the "matrix" doesn't carry the weight it had in the past. It is true that USAF DC and AFRS is going to look at those that are matrix qualified but they will also look at those that aren't matrix qualified.
That being said, we will consider those that may have had a lower GPA but an above average DAT score. So if this applicant has a high DAT score but the GPA is a little lower and can fulfill his/her commitment to our core values of: Integrity First, Service Before Self and Excellence In All We Do he/she may still have a shot for the HPSP.

Aloha to all,

I am a contracted Air Force ROTC cadet.

Do I have to attend anything the summer before Dental school?

**** Since I would have already been through Field Training

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
less than 10% maybe, i heard they are most competitive.

when is the application deadline?

anyone know how many applied this year? and how many 4 year hpsp are available?

asdf

Last edited:
Thanks AFDDS! Since the deadline for 4-year hpsp is December 30, we will know our results sometime early January or mid January or late January?

Happy Holidays everyone :)

I am glad they got rid of the matrix qualification. This makes it more fair for everyone, in my opinion.

I am glad they got rid of the matrix qualification. This makes it more fair for everyone, in my opinion.
I agree and I never thought it fit with our usual MO of looking at a whole person concept. I also thought it showed the flaw that appears sometimes, in that grades can be deceiving. We had several with good grades that couldn't pass national boards or a licensing board. Both of which are requirements.

Air Force DDS or anyone who has an answer:

If a dental school awards you a scholarship and you are an HPSP, would the Air Force be ok with you using the left over money for living expenses while in school. I guess my question is whether the Air Force pays the school directly of if they put the tuition/fees money into an account that you tap into and pay the school (in which case the answer is clear).

If a dental school awards you a scholarship and you are an HPSP, would the Air Force be ok with you using the left over money for living expenses while in school. I guess my question is whether the Air Force pays the school directly of if they put the tuition/fees money into an account that you tap into and pay the school (in which case the answer is clear).

I think HPSP is paid directly to the school. Maybe someone currently on scholarship will give you some insight.

I don't know if there is anyway to track it, but my guess, is they would want the money back.

The AF pays the school directly for your tuition. Your books and extra expenses are reimbursed to you after you send them forms and proof of purchase. Your stipend check will go directly to your bank account.

My AF recruiter confirmed to me that it's looking like there will only be about five 4yr HPSPs given this year. Then everyone else will be automatically rolled over for a good chance to be selected for a 3yr next year.

However, he said they have introduced a new program where they will let an AF dentist, after they have been serving for 6+ months, start receiving $40k a year of Loan repayment, even while your still paying back the 3 yr HPSP. That way over the three years you could easily pay back the debt accrued from paying for school your first year. Plus you have a year less of commitment. This seems like a better deal to me. I just don't get why they would do it because it seems like it would cost the AF more money doing it this way.

Does anyone else know anything more about this new loan repayment program, and how likely it will be that we will be able to get that money?

My AF recruiter confirmed to me that it's looking like there will only be about five 4yr HPSPs given this year. Then everyone else will be automatically rolled over for a good chance to be selected for a 3yr next year.

However, he said they have introduced a new program where they will let an AF dentist, after they have been serving for 6+ months, start receiving $40k a year of Loan repayment, even while your still paying back the 3 yr HPSP. That way over the three years you could easily pay back the debt accrued from paying for school your first year. Plus you have a year less of commitment. This seems like a better deal to me. I just don't get why they would do it because it seems like it would cost the AF more money doing it this way.

Does anyone else know anything more about this new loan repayment program, and how likely it will be that we will be able to get that money?

I would like to know about this also! My first year killed me!

I do know that there is a HPLRP ( Health professions loan repayment program) which will give you 40K a year but for every year they give you $ you owe them another year of service.

I would like to know about this also! My first year killed me!

I do know that there is a HPLRP ( Health professions loan repayment program) which will give you 40K a year but for every year they give you $ you owe them another year of service.

Ding Ding we have a winner. HPLRP has been around for quite a while. It does pay close to $40K per year (before taxes). It will pay up to 72% of your loan debt. It does add an ADSC.

I just got back with my recruiter on this. You're right - It is the ADHPLRP. But he said that you accrue one extra year that you have to pay back, making your payback 4 yrs. But you can be eligible to receive the loan repayment of $40K during each of those years. This makes the deal come out the same as the 4 yr HPSP, only the money is coming from different places.

In other words, according to him, you can receive the $40K loan repayments each year, while only having a total of one extra year of commitment to payback, even if you took three years ($120K) of loan repayments.

Again, this doesn't seem right to me. Can anyone confirm this?

This program has historically restricted HPSP recipients from participating. If there is new information concerning the AF allowing HPSP recipients to utilize this program then please elaborate. Have you heard if it will only be available to 3-year or less recipients?

I often wondered how a person attending NYU or USC/UCLA would survive off of the stipend and not take additional loans. If this benefit were to open up I think recruiting would never be an issue again.

The only problem I see is the potential for abuse. If you know you have HPSP and you know you are eligible for loan repayment, what would keep anybody from just completely maxing out your loans?

That's exactly what I'm thinking. That's why it doesn't quite make sense to me. He did say though that just starting this last year that HPSPs can use the money, because most of the money of the available in those funds have been going unused. I'm hoping someone can give me a definite answer on this...

I have heard that former HPSP/FAP are no longer ineligible. What loans can I get paid?

The dependency between ADHPLRP and HPSP/FAP has been eliminated by the NDAA. Former HPSP/FAP will be eligible to apply for retention ADHPLRP, not accession. Anyone who has received the maximum HPSP/FAP benefit is ADHPLRP ineligible. Loans only for expenses that occur after the point that a person would be eligible for commissioning as a health services officer in HPSP/FAP but was not enrolled in HPSP/FAP when loan was disbursed.

http://www.afit.edu/adhplrp/faq.cfm#

I just got back with my recruiter on this. You're right - It is the ADHPLRP. But he said that you accrue one extra year that you have to pay back, making your payback 4 yrs. But you can be eligible to receive the loan repayment of $40K during each of those years. This makes the deal come out the same as the 4 yr HPSP, only the money is coming from different places.

In other words, according to him, you can receive the $40K loan repayments each year, while only having a total of one extra year of commitment to payback, even if you took three years ($120K) of loan repayments.

Again, this doesn't seem right to me. Can anyone confirm this?
All payback for the HPLRP is consecutive. So an ADSC for the HPLRP will be added to your time for HPSP.

3-year HPSP students are eligible, but I don't think 4-year HPSP grads are. The law limits you to a certain number of years of "tuition assistance". This may have changed so I will confirm.

Also, if the above is still correct, you wouldn't be eligible for 3 years of HPLRP and it absolutely will add at least 1 year for 1 year.

All payback for the HPLRP is consecutive. So an ADSC for the HPLRP will be added to your time for HPSP.

3-year HPSP students are eligible, but I don't think 4-year HPSP grads are. The law limits you to a certain number of years of "tuition assistance". This may have changed so I will confirm.

Also, if the above is still correct, you wouldn't be eligible for 3 years of HPLRP and it absolutely will add at least 1 year for 1 year.
Dear AFDDS,

When can 3-year HPSP students apply for the HPLRP? Can they apply during the school year or do they have to wait until 3-year active duty/payback is done?

Thank you.

Dear AFDDS,

When can 3-year HPSP students apply for the HPLRP? Can they apply during the school year or do they have to wait until 3-year active duty/payback is done?

Thank you.
You have to be on active duty for 6 months to apply

4-year HPSP students are not eligible. 3-year HPSP students could apply, but you will only have one year of loans, and you will incur a 2-year ADSC. So, if you do an AEGD-1, you will end up serving 6 years on active duty, minimum.

The ADSC for student loan repayment is 2 years minimum and then it goes year for year. Right now we have 10 2-year quotas. The payment amount is $40,000. 25% of that goes to taxes. HPLRP is always served consecutively.

If someone has student loans that are <$40,000, then they will get student loan repayment for one year, but still have a two year ADSC. Plus, you cannot get HPLRP again in order to pay off the amount of loan that is left as a result of the 25% tax.

Any undergraduate loans are not a qualified loan under the program. The qualified loans are loans for tuition and expenses that led to your professional degree.

4-year HPSP students are not eligible. 3-year HPSP students could apply, but you will only have one year of loans, and you will incur a 2-year ADSC. So, if you do an AEGD-1, you will end up serving 6 years on active duty, minimum.

The ADSC for student loan repayment is 2 years minimum and then it goes year for year. Right now we have 10 2-year quotas. The payment amount is $40,000. 25% of that goes to taxes. HPLRP is always served consecutively.

If someone has student loans that are <$40,000, then they will get student loan repayment for one year, but still have a two year ADSC. Plus, you cannot get HPLRP again in order to pay off the amount of loan that is left as a result of the 25% tax.

Any undergraduate loans are not a qualified loan under the program. The qualified loans are loans for tuition and expenses that led to your professional degree.
Does it mean that $30,000 is the actual amount to be paid toward a loan after tax? Does it only cover the federal loan (e.g. subsidized/unsubsidized stafford)?

If someone goes through the specialty training and is also selected for the HPLRP, can he serve/pay off concurrently after specialty training?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Does it mean that $30,000 is the actual amount to be paid toward a loan after tax? Does it only cover the federal loan (e.g. subsidized/unsubsidized stafford)?

If someone goes through the specialty training and is also selected for the HPLRP, can he serve/pay off concurrently after specialty training?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Yes. $30K goes directly to the lender. It will cover Federal, State, county, etc.. as long as you can prove it was for your professional degree.

The policy reads as follows:

Qualified Loans: Government and commercial loans for actual costs paid for tuition, reasonable educational expenses, and reasonable living expenses relating to the attainment of a degree in allopathic or osteopathic medicine, dentistry, or other health professions. Such loans must have documentation that is concurrent with the training received in a health professions school. If health professions educational loans are refinanced, hte original documentatio of the loan(s) must be submitted to the applicable Secretary to establish that the loans were originally for educational expenses as defined above.

Aloha to all,

I am a contracted Air Force ROTC cadet.

Do I have to attend anything the summer before Dental school?

**** Since I would have already been through Field Training

Nope! I was in AFROTC as well and am now a first year dental student. You don't have to go to any other summer training beforehand. FT was enough! :)

The requirements for the Air Force Dental Corps HPSP for this upcoming fiscal year have been changed a bit.

For the past few years, USAF Dental Corps and AF Recruiting Service had a "matrix". This matrix was a combination of the DAT and the GPA.

The DAT (academic average) score had to equal 19 or higher and the undergrad GPA composite had to be 3.5 or higher. Those that met the "matrix" were automatic selections for the HPSP. Those that didn't meet the matrix could be selected but would be placed in an "alternate select" status. This alternate select status meant that if any of the "selects" could not fulfill with the HPSP (not get picked up by dental school, injury rendering them physically disqualified, etc...) One of the alternates would take their place.

This FY the "matrix" doesn't carry the weight it had in the past. It is true that USAF DC and AFRS is going to look at those that are matrix qualified but they will also look at those that aren't matrix qualified.
That being said, we will consider those that may have had a lower GPA but an above average DAT score. So if this applicant has a high DAT score but the GPA is a little lower and can fulfill his/her commitment to our core values of: Integrity First, Service Before Self and Excellence In All We Do he/she may still have a shot for the HPSP.
Hello AFDDS,
Thanks for your helpful insight. I have another question for you regarding the GPA requirement. How are different majors viewed in regard to GPA. ie (All undergrads are not equal.) For example: An Exersize Science degree is significanly easier than Engineering, Chemistry, or Mathematics degrees.

Does the AF recognize or distinguish between majors?

Hello AFDDS,
Thanks for your helpful insight. I have another question for you regarding the GPA requirement. How are different majors viewed in regard to GPA. ie (All undergrads are not equal.) For example: An Exersize Science degree is significanly easier than Engineering, Chemistry, or Mathematics degrees.

Does the AF recognize or distinguish between majors?
It may be considered and it may not. Depends on who is sitting on the board at the time. Your whole record will be looked at, so other things will be considered as well.

Is it a college transcript that is being looked at or the adea gpa?

Hello, I have made research about the HPSP from the military branchs and found the air force to be most helpful! I have been told by a recruiter that I belong to a special category being an actual American Citizen who earned a DDS degree in Costa Rica, and have now decided to move back to California with my family. In order for me to become licensed in CA, USA I need to go through a 2 year advanced placement program for International Dentists, which is extremely expensive. I have been trying to find information on how to apply for a HPSP and improve my chances regarding the circumstances... Could you please help me find more about this?? I wouldn't mind serving in active duty for 3 or 4 years even though the intended program lasts 2 years, guess its even better for the force, thank you very much!!

I have already Evaluated my Credentials from CR with E.C.E. and am planning to take the NBDE 1 and 2 during the summer..... Should I still require the DAT scores?? My gpa is around 3.4