New to Pre-Podiatry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rvka12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I've been pre-health since a year ago, and I am now heading into my second semester sophomore year. I've been looking into medicine (and know a lot about it because of other family members), but I don't know much about podiatry.
Is it true that there aren't as many job openings for podiatrists vs medical doctors because podiatrists tend to work longer and its more difficult to get your own practice?

I just am trying to figure out what I should go into after undergrad!

Members don't see this ad.

Not too sure what you are asking, but if you are asking about concrete quantitative numbers, then sure there are less podiatry job openings. Remember though, you are comparing DPMs to MDs. There are many more MDs that graduate each year compared to DPMs, so quantitativly it makes since that there would be less DPM positions availble since there are less graduates.

Also no, it's not any more difficult to open up your own practice. If that's what you want to do, the only true obstacles in your path would be making sure you have patients and finances to start up/maintain the office.

Not too sure what you are asking, but if you are asking about concrete quantitative numbers, then sure there are less podiatry job openings. Remember though, you are comparing DPMs to MDs. There are many more MDs that graduate each year compared to DPMs, so quantitativly it makes since that there would be less DPM positions availble since there are less graduates.

Also no, it's not any more difficult to open up your own practice. If that's what you want to do, the only true obstacles in your path would be making sure you have patients and finances to start up/maintain the office.

Agree with both paragraphs, and another obstacle to opening up your own practice would be getting insurance to cover you...and I am referring to coming right out of school and opening up your own practice or group. I am very interested in doing this and have talked to a handful of DPM's in my area. They told me it is becoming very hard to come straight up out and open up your own office.

One Pod who has been out of school 6 years now said that he worked with a group of DPM's for 4 years before branching out on his own. He said the real obstacle was getting insurance to cover his practice when he had no experience under his belt post residency.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi I've been pre-health since a year ago, and I am now heading into my second semester sophomore year. I've been looking into medicine (and know a lot about it because of other family members), but I don't know much about podiatry.
Is it true that there aren't as many job openings for podiatrists vs medical doctors because podiatrists tend to work longer and its more difficult to get your own practice?

I just am trying to figure out what I should go into after undergrad!

Also, it helps not to go open an office in a over-saturated market. It would be harder to open a practice in California than say, Georgia for example.

Agree with both paragraphs, and another obstacle to opening up your own practice would be getting insurance to cover you...and I am referring to coming right out of school and opening up your own practice or group. I am very interested in doing this and have talked to a handful of DPM's in my area. They told me it is becoming very hard to come straight up out and open up your own office.

One Pod who has been out of school 6 years now said that he worked with a group of DPM's for 4 years before branching out on his own. He said the real obstacle was getting insurance to cover his practice when he had no experience under his belt post residency.

I assume you mean coming right out of residency, not school, and opening up shop?