New vet schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Not sure where you even got this idea?

My cousin goes to our IS dental school and his tuition alone is 44k a year. My tuition, in the same state, for vet school is 25k a year. OOS tuition is 48k, much closer to what dental IS students pay.

I realize this is n=1 but I have no idea where you got the idea that dental school costs a fraction of what vet school does?
Yea totally. My original marker for how much dental school cost was Penn, which is I think $112,000 a year total cost of attendance. Which is nuts. Then I looked around. Temple is around the same and so is Rutgers. Dental school is NOT cheaper most of the time. If anything it’s more expensive on average.
 
Last edited:
Vet schools cant just open with a discounted price tag, someone would complain about that too.
“That school is too cheap their education must be sub par” i can hear it now.

Im asking as a way for vet schools that are opening, no matter the tuition costs, as a program, would they be welcomed and accepted?

Even distributive models have to pay the places their schools students go to, and actually those go back into those businesses they are doing clinicals in. Sure having a teaching hospital is nice, but so is the experience you can get from going to hospitals, humane society’s, and wildlife centers you will being doing rotations for?

The experience is different and, in my opinion, shouldn’t be immediately assumed as sub par and not worth it. It hasn’t been around long enough to make that split judgement.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Vet schools cant just open with a discounted price tag, someone would complain about that too.
“That school is too cheap their education must be sub par” i can hear it now.

Im asking as a way for vet schools that are opening, no matter the tuition costs, as a program, would they be welcomed and accepted?

Even distributive models have to pay the places their schools students go to, and actually those go back into those businesses they are doing clinicals in. Sure having a teaching hospital is nice, but so is the experience you can get from going to hospitals, humane society’s, and wildlife centers you will being doing rotations for?

The experience is different and, in my opinion, shouldn’t be immediately assumed as sub par and not worth it. It hasn’t been around long enough to make that split judgement.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No one would think that. And in no way shape or form is there a vet school that could open in any amazing fashion that is so different from the schools already in existence to be welcomed. The education is pretty straight forward. There is no fancy way of teaching. You go to school and learn the science of medicine then learn how to apply that for a brief second before heading out into the real world.

I understand you want to go to vet school and new schools allowing for more people to be accepted each year is getting you ever closer to your dream. But you don't seem to realize that you may not think it is a dream anymore once it actually comes true. Amusingly, the person most active in these discussions has a username created as a prevet. She considered at one point changing it to nightmare instead afterwards. 🙁
 
Vet schools cant just open with a discounted price tag, someone would complain about that too.
“That school is too cheap their education must be sub par” i can hear it now.
I'm not going into anything vet-related, but seeing how the mantra is always about attending the cheapest school, I don't think a lower price tag will be snubbed. Might even be worshipped.
 
My problem is everyone has these assumptions about every pre vet student out there.

Only a select fee know people on this forum in the real world.

For some being a vet is a dream they have been dreaming their whole life.

For some its something you fell into and really enjoy.

For some its something you’ve always thought about but never really strived for until now, many years later.

There is no “one size fits all” pre vet student or vet school.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
So not to sideline the thread or anything but I did some quick background research a couple days ago while reading this thread and thought it may be interesting for people to know/ could maybe help understand the current issues people have with new schools opening.
Hi sorry to intrude here, but how do you guys think your established vet schools started? Every accredited school has to have a starting class and a graduating class to become accredited.

Also I googled things just because I was curious about the time frame and history of opening new schools.

Afaik, Oregon State was the last public vet school that opened (up until these new ones?). It opened in 1979, with the first class graduating in 1983. The large animal hospital on site opened in 1980, but students up until the mid 2000s completed much of their clinical year at WSU in order to get SA experience. Since then, OSU students have gotten their full education here.

The next school to open since then was Western, in 1998, nearly 20 years later. Afaik, they have no teaching hospital and no intention of making one. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong. It's a private school and tuition alone costs 55k a year.

(@Trilt could you explain more about what you mean by the AVMA getting into a tussle with western and losing? I’m curious to hear what happened there.)

I believe the next schools to open were LMU and MWU, which both opened in 2014 and are both private schools. I (believe) MWU has a teaching hospital. Tuition is 64k a year. LMU doesn't have a teaching hospital and it costs 47k a year.

Looking at the VIN cost of education map, LMU comes out to be the 24th most expensive school, Western #44, and MWU #50 with a whopping COA + accrued interest of 475,000.


I am sure there has been some discussion in here about the cost of the new schools purportedly going to be opening in the next 5 years and I remember most? being exceedingly exuberant as well. I can't remember if people knew whether the schools had any intention of opening teaching hospitals as well. Does anyone know this? (edit: looks like @Elkhart mentioned LIU won't... what about the others?!)

Texas Tech, arizona?, Long Island, now Arkansas. I'm sure I am missing some?? This is honestly getting to be so many schools at this point that I really don't see a justification... Making it easier to get into vet school is not necessarily the answer, though I can understand why some frustrated pre-vet students may think so. but it just isn't :/
 
My problem is everyone has these assumptions about every pre vet student out there.

Only a select fee know people on this forum in the real world.

For some being a vet is a dream they have been dreaming their whole life.

For some its something you fell into and really enjoy.

For some its something you’ve always thought about but never really strived for until now, many years later.

There is no “one size fits all” pre vet student or vet school.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This has nothing to do with what is being said here. The profession has problems, and it doesn't matter why prevets want to pursue it. It still needs to be done smart. This almost aligns with what I said about not letting an owner go into debt they cannot pay off for their animal's medical expenses. It isn't good medicine in my opinion and it isn't something I would be comfortable with as a fellow human. Some people of course are going to do it anyway, but I would never advocate for it.
 
Not sure where you even got this idea?

My cousin goes to our IS dental school and his tuition alone is 44k a year. My tuition, in the same state, for vet school is 25k a year. OOS tuition is 48k, much closer to what dental IS students pay.

I realize this is n=1 but I have no idea where you got the idea that dental school costs a fraction of what vet school does?
I’ve also got a friend who’s a D1 and when she got accepted and I first looked at tuition costs I was like “Wow dental school tuition is pretty reasonable”..... But as I earlier said in the case of DCG at least, tuition is listed on their website at $25k BUT that doesn’t include mandatory fees and other expenses which brings the price tag up to $40.5k. I find that highly misleading and makes it harder to compare between schools. COL can always vary because of different costs of living between areas and personal choices But how much you’re paying the school is a set cost and should be transparent
 
So not to sideline the thread or anything but I did some quick background research a couple days ago while reading this thread and thought it may be interesting for people to know/ could maybe help understand the current issues people have with new schools opening.


Also I googled things just because I was curious about the time frame and history of opening new schools.

Afaik, Oregon State was the last public vet school that opened (up until these new ones?). It opened in 1979, with the first class graduating in 1983. The large animal hospital on site opened in 1980, but students up until the mid 2000s completed much of their clinical year at WSU in order to get SA experience. Since then, OSU students have gotten their full education here.

The next school to open since then was Western, in 1998, nearly 20 years later. Afaik, they have no teaching hospital and no intention of making one. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong. It's a private school and tuition alone costs 55k a year.

(@Trilt could you explain more about what you mean by the AVMA getting into a tussle with western and losing? I’m curious to hear what happened there.)

I believe the next schools to open were LMU and MWU, which both opened in 2014 and are both private schools. I (believe) MWU has a teaching hospital. Tuition is 64k a year. LMU doesn't have a teaching hospital and it costs 47k a year.

Looking at the VIN cost of education map, LMU comes out to be the 24th most expensive school, Western #44, and MWU #50 with a whopping COA + accrued interest of 475,000.


I am sure there has been some discussion in here about the cost of the new schools purportedly going to be opening in the next 5 years and I remember most? being exceedingly exuberant as well. I can't remember if people knew whether the schools had any intention of opening teaching hospitals as well. Does anyone know this? (edit: looks like @Elkhart mentioned LIU won't... what about the others?!)

Texas Tech, arizona?, Long Island, now Arkansas. I'm sure I am missing some?? This is honestly getting to be so many schools at this point that I really don't see a justification... Making it easier to get into vet school is not necessarily the answer, though I can understand why some frustrated pre-vet students may think so. but it just isn't :/

So should we maintain at a school every 20 years? That does not seem like a smart tactic either. I still dont think any new schools are necessarily “making it easier to get it” the statistics are still there theres way more applicants than their are vets schools even with these new school.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Vet schools cant just open with a discounted price tag, someone would complain about that too.
“That school is too cheap their education must be sub par” i can hear it now.
Given what the current status quo is regarding indebtedness of vet students and vets, I doubt that anyone would actually seriously complain about this.

There isn’t so much a shortage of large animal vets in rural areas, as many of these new schools are claiming as their justification to exist, but rather maldistribution. The interest in large/mixed/equine practice is there, but the reality of that kind of practice is that it can be very hard on the body, requires long hours, and usually doesn’t pay enough to make a substantial dent in the hundreds of thousands of dollars of debt that the vet likely graduated with. Not to mention that rural living is... really not for everyone and comes with its own struggles.

Im asking as a way for vet schools that are opening, no matter the tuition costs, as a program, would they be welcomed and accepted?
The profession isn’t hurting for new schools. Personally, I would be less annoyed by the development of more 2+2 programs, as @batsenecal mentioned upthread, or even new schools in states that don’t currently have one and/or contract seats elsewhere. That’s why I’m not quite as aggravated about the potential ASU school as I am about, say, LMU or TTU. Why does Tennessee need two vet schools? Why does New York?

Even distributive models have to pay the places their schools students go to, and actually those go back into those businesses they are doing clinicals in. Sure having a teaching hospital is nice, but so is the experience you can get from going to hospitals, humane society’s, and wildlife centers you will being doing rotations for?

The experience is different and, in my opinion, shouldn’t be immediately assumed as sub par and not worth it. It hasn’t been around long enough to make that split judgement.
The distributive model isn’t that new. Western matriculated their first class in... what, 1999?

Anyway, there have been mixed thoughts regarding lack of teaching hospital by forumgoers who have attended these schools. Here’s a couple of posts by @Okimo on her experience at Western as a 2017 grad, just as a sampling of opinion:

You're totally right, and I absolutely agree with you! Also, I just want to reiterate that despite coming from a school without a teaching hospital, I would prefer that schools had teaching hospitals. I would prefer that I came from a school with a teaching hospital. I wouldn't say I regret the path I chose or where I've ended up but you are absolutely right with regards to the consistency of the education and I can personally attest to the inconsistency within my own class and our experiences.
How frustrating. I went to a school without a teaching hospital and am currently a resident at an institution with a teaching hospital. I think there are pros and cons to both systems, but I really think there is no replacement for having a teaching hospital available. I really am not a fan of this theme that more and more vet schools can open without one.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve also got a friend who’s a D1 and when she got accepted and I first looked at tuition costs I was like “Wow dental school tuition is pretty reasonable”..... But as I earlier said in the case of DCG at least, tuition is listed on their website at $25k BUT that doesn’t include mandatory fees and other expenses which brings the price tag up to $40.5k. I find that highly misleading and makes it harder to compare between schools. COL can always vary because of different costs of living between areas and personal choices But how much you’re paying the school is a set cost and should be transparent
Oh wow yep you are totally right. In my quick glance a couple of minutes ago I just looked at tuition for IS, which was the 44k I mentioned. I just looked back and with fees it's actually 62k a year, making it more than double what I pay for our IS vet school, and significantly more expensive than OOS vet school tuition.
 
My problem is everyone has these assumptions about every pre vet student out there.

Only a select fee know people on this forum in the real world.

For some being a vet is a dream they have been dreaming their whole life.

For some its something you fell into and really enjoy.

For some its something you’ve always thought about but never really strived for until now, many years later.

There is no “one size fits all” pre vet student or vet school.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I never assume that every pre-vet is the same. I know plenty of people in my class and pre-vets who have toured my school. I'm not assuming they're not smart because they want to go into this profession. I did as well. I care a lot about this profession and I don't want the people in it to suffer. I definitely want people to pursue their dreams, I don't want the result of that to be so crippling that they can't even function. Does that seem so unreasonable?

As far as the supply and demand topic I think it's a little misconstrued. The demand for vet school is large and therefore more schools are opening up. The schools don't necessarily have to care what happens afterwards. There will always be a demand for vet school. There will not always be a demand for vets. Especially SA vets working in non-rural areas which is the majority of our profession. That's were things get dicey. Right now we're in a good spot. But we won't always be. I'd love to continue to be in a good spot. That's why it makes me a little angry when new schools open their doors using the same excuse over and over, because essentially, they're lying.
 
Last edited:
@amwildlife I'm a little confused about your questions about how the schools can be accepted. Are you a student at one of these schools or involved in opening one?

If your underlying concern is how graduates of these schools will be perceived later on, I don't think you need to worry there. Western and the Caribbean schools have proven they can teach people to be qualified vets. It's not the fault of the students that these institutions are popping up, and I'm sure the schools will do what is needed to prepare their students for being vets.

The issue lies with the AVMA and administrators who think new schools will solve certain industry-wide problems, when in fact they are just going to compound those economic problems into bigger ones. No one is going to blame the students for that.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
20200202_171657.jpg

Since we're debating COE here's my school's tuition. There are over $14k in mandatory fees for... the gym? It's not the cost of the education that's super expensive, it's definitely not the cost of the buildings. It's not even the cost of the vet school. I completely understand the $2.5k fees for labs and such, no big deal. But $14k? For what exactly? I'm pretty sure it doesn't have anything to do with the vet school at all.

Edit: I should clarify that does NOT include anything like medical insurance or anything. We have to pay an extra $5k a year for that.
 
So should we maintain at a school every 20 years? That does not seem like a smart tactic either.
I have no answer for when/ how often vet schools should open. Did my post imply as much? I merely stated facts that I quickly found while googling.

But I have seen no convincing research to show the need to open 6+ vet schools within this small of a time frame. Have you?

I still dont think any new schools are necessarily “making it easier to get it” the statistics are still there theres way more applicants than their are vets schools even with these new school.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How are these schools not making it easier? There will be significantly more slots for number of applicants (I am not sure what the trend has been for # of applicants). I think one of the pre-vets making comments in here even said they were excited for new schools as they couldn't get accepted to others.

Taking a cursory glance at the average GPA of students (not sure if this is accepted or attending):
Western: 3.1-3.3
Midwestern: 3.1-3.2
LMU: 3.1-3.3

Just taking a quick glance at the rest of the schools in the US, the average GPA tends to be 3.5+.

GPA obviously isn't everything. But if a school tends to take a lot of students that can't get into other schools, it may be considered easier. If it takes a lot of students with much lower GPAs than other schools, it may be considered easier. I'm not trying to be rude either, I'm really trying to make this as objective as possible (by using facts provided from the schools).
 
My problem with LMU specifically as well was their NAVLE pass rate this past year. It was in the 80 something percentage, and that is no bueno. That test costs students a lot of money and must be passed in order to practice. While it is still within the acceptance range for accreditation, those that did not pass were done a disservice.
 
Pre-vets: it's not fair and you just have these opinions because you already got in and now have your DVM
Vets: If I could give it to you, I would. But you have to take my debt too. Kthx.

In all seriousness though. New schools need to have curriculum that produces good vets reliably. That is a concern. New schools need to have affordable tuition... also a concern. The idea that we need more vets to fill a void is probably not entirely accurate... concern. And the vets that we are making already are kinda sorta hating their life and yeah, you guessed it - that's a concern too. Lots of factors here. To assume that you have it all figured out from the pre-vet side of things and no way will you ever question your decision to pursue vet med... welp. Come back in 6 years. I'll still be here. :laugh:
 
@amwildlife I'm a little confused about your questions about how the schools can be accepted. Are you a student at one of these schools or involved in opening one?

If your underlying concern is how graduates of these schools will be perceived later on, I don't think you need to worry there. It's not the fault of the students, and I'm sure these schools will do what is needed to prepare their students for being vets.

The issue lies with the AVMA, COE, and administrators who think new schools will solve certain industry-wide problems, when in fact they are just going to compound those economic problems into bigger ones. No one is going to blame the students for that.

I don’t think new schools are a fix all by any means. This still boils down to higher education costs a lot of money. I might end up going to one of the new schools it just depends on where I am accepted, IF i get accepted.

I know. I know. I cant talk much since i am not TECHNICALLY in the profession. I have worked in a clinic for a while. Ive heard various things from the vets i work for. Ive been told multiple times to go or to not go to vet school.

One vet i work for said the other day, the biggest issue in vet med is the lack of SA GP Veterinarians. Schools are pushing student to become specialized, and its creating a gap.

Im lucky enough that the clinic i work in was not started by a vet, but rather by a business women. Its a cool dynamic. It gives me a different perspective.

My question is just me wanting to know what everyone wants the new schools to do? I know some of yall are practicing vets, and some are pretty quick to tell people to not become vets.

What would be the alternative? What do you tell those aspiring pre vets to try an change their minds?

There are 21 schools in the US and each schools accepted an average of what? 100?

There are what 7,000-10,000 applicant (maybe i couldn’t find any recent stats). Should we not have new schools?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I just want to emphasize, too, that, at least for me, these criticisms come from a place of concern rather than “hate”. I’m not even in vet med anymore; I would have graduated as a DVM this May, but ended up being forced to leave vet school halfway through (though you can bet that I still have to pay back that $125k worth of debt I effectively took out for nothing; this is only even remotely doable because of PAYE) and I’m no longer in the field in any capacity. I stay around on SDN and continue to post because I love this community and I enjoy helping pre-vets where I can. I literally have no skin in this fight anymore, but I still feel that these issues are important to discuss.

I am concerned that many of these new schools are grossly overcharging students, particularly those without teaching hospitals. I am concerned that several of these schools have had poor NAVLE pass rates and outcomes for all that sweet, unlimited federal loan money they’re siphoning from students. I am concerned that new schools are continuing to be opened because the COE has remained toothless and has not really been able to put their foot down during the accreditation process, especially re: lack of teaching hospitals, since the incident with Western occurred. I am concerned for both the financial and mental well-being of the new blood running headlong into the profession, frequently with blinders up.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 294520
Since we're debating COE here's my school's tuition. There are over $14k in mandatory fees for... the gym? It's not the cost of the education that's super expensive, it's definitely not the cost of the buildings. It's not even the cost of the vet school. I completely understand the $2.5k fees for labs and such, no big deal. But $14k? For what exactly? I'm pretty sure it doesn't have anything to do with the vet school at all.

Edit: I should clarify that does NOT include anything like medical insurance or anything. We have to pay an extra $5k a year for that.
That's super strange. 15k a year for tuition would be so cheap. I wonder how you could figure out where that money is going? I hadn't even really thought of the difference between tuition and fees before since you can't get out of either.
edit: wait I read the asterisk and it says the fees include tuition. so now I am even more confused

I just took a look at ours. Approximately 8,500 for the quarter and tuition is 7900 of that. So the fees are $600 and they itemize those out as a building fee, incidental fee, counseling service fee, and student health service fee. I do not get insurance through the school.
 
Pre-vets: it's not fair and you just have these opinions because you already got in and now have your DVM
Vets: If I could give it to you, I would. But you have to take my debt too. Kthx.

In all seriousness though. New schools need to have curriculum that produces good vets reliably. That is a concern. New schools need to have affordable tuition... also a concern. The idea that we need more vets to fill a void is probably not entirely accurate... concern. And the vets that we are making already are kinda sorta hating their life and yeah, you guessed it - that's a concern too. Lots of factors here. To assume that you have it all figured out from the pre-vet side of things and no way will you ever question your decision to pursue vet med... welp. Come back in 6 years. I'll still be here. :laugh:

I wont be on SDN if I go to vet school [emoji23] sorry I will not be here in 6 years.

Also i have not seen one pre-vet say its “not fair” that someone else has their DVM and they do not. Nor I have seen anyone say that your opinions are not valid.
 
One vet i work for said the other day, the biggest issue in vet med is the lack of SA GP Veterinarians. Schools are pushing student to become specialized, and its creating a gap.

Yeah, 'cause GP sucks. :shrug: Or, it can be pretty hard to find a good fit with a good balance, good pay, and also good dynamics with coworkers, office managers, and such. Specialty pays more and allows more choice.

I wont be on SDN if I go to vet school [emoji23] sorry I will not be here in 6 years.

Also i have not seen one pre-vet say its “not fair” that someone else has their DVM and they do not. Nor I have seen anyone say that your opinions are not valid.

Well, since I've been here for 12 years - three before being accepted, four while in vet school, and five now after graduation - I figure I'll still be around. It's fine if you don't stick around to tell me how you feel about all of it after you have graduated.

No one used the words "it's not fair" but I think that's kind of the implication. It seems like (and this is my opinion, mind you) that pre-vets (general) want more schools so there are more seats and more chances to get in. When the veterinarians come in and speak about why they DON'T want more schools, it feels like a personal attack, or like we don't want y'all to have these extra seats. That's what I was getting at.

I feel bad saying, "Just wait, you'll understand." But I'm not sure there's anything else I could say. Sorry.
 
There are 21 schools in the US and each schools accepted an average of what? 100?

There are what 7,000-10,000 applicant (maybe i couldn’t find any recent stats). Should we not have new schools?
No, we should not have new schools. These schools are not opening to give you & other aspiring vet students better access to your dream careers.

If you want evidence, look at the schools that already exist: the cost of tuition (at least at my school) is increasing at a rate that rapidly outpaces inflation, tax hikes, and operating costs. Administrators make hundreds of thousands of dollars per year in some settings.

Despite the way they are spinning it, these new schools are not opening as some kind of altruistic attempt to broaden access to the profession or ameliorate issues with meeting changing societal demands for veterinary services.

It's a money grab. If it were anything else, they would take the $ they're spending to open these, and plug it into the existing system to slash the cost of attendance.
 
It's a societal problem to some degree and not supply and demand imo and your example demonstrates it perfectly. People wanting to pursue careers no matter the cost because it "fulfills" them or the "I couldn't do anything else" thinking. If being 350k, 400k, 500k+ in debt just in student loans was unacceptable, not supported by the government, and people learned to limit themselves perhaps it wouldn't be this huge issue. If you have a solid plan to pay that 400k that's not on something like IBR and hoping the government doesn't screw a person over great, do whatever if that's what you want. Most these vets taking out that kind of money don't have that plan and it is in part going to kill our profession to a degree especially as we start to see IBR start and people having to pay these large lump sums to the IRS-if they even can. Being a vet wasn't worth more than 200k in loans personally for what I want to do-I would have walked away to another career easily. I know many people that flat out won't do it because it's all they've ever wanted to do. Not that those people don't deserve to be veterinarians, but these are the people that super expensive schools like LIU are targeting in and is in my opinion predatory and should not be opening/opened. They are targeting many applicants who got denied by other veterinary schools with lower costs because they know the students will take out the student loans even if it makes their life essentially unlivable after as long as they get to pursue their dream.

Do I agree with more schools opening not really. Is the demand there currently sure, but like someone else said as soon as another recession hits alot of vets will be hurting- my practice back home almost went under last time, reduced to the owning vet and two other people at what is usually at least 3-4 FT veterinary practice. It's also not going to solve the LA shortage because that problem is multifactorial with so many factors. There are alot of economic issues in vet med on the front end that need to be dealt with before all these new schools keep opening up.

This. Just read the threads in pre-vet... "I don't care what you say, I don't care how much the vet school costs, I'm going." Or "well I want a school that I 'fit' with I don't care if it is more expensive."

The issue isn't supply/demand it is that people want what they want and don't think about the consequences. No different than someone getting a $10k bulldog puppy, not vaccinating it and then not being able to afford parvo treatment.
 
Vet schools cant just open with a discounted price tag, someone would complain about that too.
“That school is too cheap their education must be sub par” i can hear it now.

Im asking as a way for vet schools that are opening, no matter the tuition costs, as a program, would they be welcomed and accepted?

Even distributive models have to pay the places their schools students go to, and actually those go back into those businesses they are doing clinicals in. Sure having a teaching hospital is nice, but so is the experience you can get from going to hospitals, humane society’s, and wildlife centers you will being doing rotations for?

The experience is different and, in my opinion, shouldn’t be immediately assumed as sub par and not worth it. It hasn’t been around long enough to make that split judgement.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where did you get the schools are paying these clinics they send students to? Because I know for a fact at least one doesn't, I'd image others don't either.
 
Yeah, 'cause GP sucks. :shrug: Or, it can be pretty hard to find a good fit with a good balance, good pay, and also good dynamics with coworkers, office managers, and such. Specialty pays more and allows more choice.



Well, since I've been here for 12 years - three before being accepted, four while in vet school, and five now after graduation - I figure I'll still be around. It's fine if you don't stick around to tell me how you feel about all of it after you have graduated.

No one used the words "it's not fair" but I think that's kind of the implication. It seems like (and this is my opinion, mind you) that pre-vets (general) want more schools so there are more seats and more chances to get in. When the veterinarians come in and speak about why they DON'T want more schools, it feels like a personal attack, or like we don't want y'all to have these extra seats. That's what I was getting at.

I feel bad saying, "Just wait, you'll understand." But I'm not sure there's anything else I could say. Sorry.

Not everyone, who is a DVM, feels that way.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I wont be on SDN if I go to vet school [emoji23] sorry I will not be here in 6 years.

Also i have not seen one pre-vet say its “not fair” that someone else has their DVM and they do not. Nor I have seen anyone say that your opinions are not valid.
Can I ask why you would not stay on SDN if accepted? This is a community that supposedly is worth it for you to get advice, support, and camaraderie from those who have similar goals as you while you apply, so what would change as a student? I think it is an advantage for people to stick around and share that advice as they move on just as those currently here shared with you, especially as everyone has a different point of view to offer. And this is not an attack, it is a curiosity since you came across as having disdain for those of us who stay to be a part of the community.
 
My problem with LMU specifically as well was their NAVLE pass rate this past year. It was in the 80 something percentage, and that is no bueno. That test costs students a lot of money and must be passed in order to practice. While it is still within the acceptance range for accreditation, those that did not pass were done a disservice.
Yeah, sorry -- my initial post was not very clear. I just mean that for the people who do make it through these programs, pass the NAVLE, and perform up to snuff in their rotations... I hope the veterinary profession as a whole will not look down on them in 4+ years as somehow less-than, simply because we don't see the benefit of the new schools themselves.

For those that don't make it...they are the most pitiable of all the victims here, and I am sorry to see dreams smashed and exploited for a handsome profit, all in one go.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yeah, sorry -- my initial post was not very clear. I just mean that for the people who do make it through these programs, pass the NAVLE, and perform up to snuff in their rotations... I hope the veterinary profession as a whole will not look down on them in 4+ years as somehow less-than, simply because we don't see the benefit of the new schools themselves.

For those that don't make it...they are the most pitiable of all the victims here, and I am sorry to see dreams smashed and exploited for a handsome profit, all in one go.
It wasn't really a rebuttal to your post, it just reminded me of a head shake moment for LMU from last year. haha
 
Yeah, 'cause GP sucks. :shrug: Or, it can be pretty hard to find a good fit with a good balance, good pay, and also good dynamics with coworkers, office managers, and such. Specialty pays more and allows more choice.



Well, since I've been here for 12 years - three before being accepted, four while in vet school, and five now after graduation - I figure I'll still be around. It's fine if you don't stick around to tell me how you feel about all of it after you have graduated.

No one used the words "it's not fair" but I think that's kind of the implication. It seems like (and this is my opinion, mind you) that pre-vets (general) want more schools so there are more seats and more chances to get in. When the veterinarians come in and speak about why they DON'T want more schools, it feels like a personal attack, or like we don't want y'all to have these extra seats. That's what I was getting at.

I feel bad saying, "Just wait, you'll understand." But I'm not sure there's anything else I could say. Sorry.

Yes, we want a chance to get into vet school. When you apply to even the new schools you have to compete with 1700+ applicants. 10 years ago it was 500+. Hell, I just competed with 500 applicants for an interview at a brand new unaccredited school? Maybe we all need to be more realistic in vet med and start talking less about bunny hugging and “pibble nanny dogs” so people will know how glamorous the profession actually is? Also, I have a 3.8 GPA (to whomever it was that assumed) and 3 publications (one I have a cover on Cell). I don’t have a low GPA and this is my 4th try.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
That's super strange. 15k a year for tuition would be so cheap. I wonder how you could figure out where that money is going? I hadn't even really thought of the difference between tuition and fees before since you can't get out of either.
edit: wait I read the asterisk and it says the fees include tuition. so now I am even more confused

I just took a look at ours. Approximately 8,500 for the quarter and tuition is 7900 of that. So the fees are $600 and they itemize those out as a building fee, incidental fee, counseling service fee, and student health service fee. I do not get insurance through the school.
It goes to the undergrad campus
 
FWIW I thought a lot of the posters on here were excessively pessimistic when I first showed up on these forums a few years ago. I also thought more schools opening were great, and wished we could get some more schools in Canada too. Since starting vet school, I have changed my opinions. It does make a difference seeing things from the other side. Instead of opening more schools, more funding should be going to the schools already open. With the amount of money a university could spend opening a new school of their own, they could instead contract seats at an institution that is already established and has its own resources. That further funding could then increase the resources offered at that school, rather than “diluting” the resources between two separate schools. I would imagine in the long run this might be cheaper for that state, since you don’t have the initial start-up costs. Obviously this doesn’t work with the private school system, and I’m personally not a fan of private vet schools at all.

I still love the profession, and I love vet school. I’m so incredibly happy that I’m on the path I am. However, thanks to being at a school that isn’t insanely expensive I can walk away at any time and be okay. I personally think that should be the standard for all schools; being “trapped” in a profession will impact your enjoyment of it regardless of how much you enjoyed it when you started.
 
Can I ask why you would not stay on SDN if accepted? This is a community that supposedly is worth it for you to get advice, support, and camaraderie from those who have similar goals as you while you apply, so what would change as a student? I think it is an advantage for people to stick around and share that advice as they move on just as those currently here shared with you, especially as everyone has a different point of view to offer. And this is not an attack, it is a curiosity since you came across as having disdain for those of us who stay to be a part of the community.

I have no disdain towards anyone on here. I just feel like a forum is not the best place to have these types of conversations. Its hard to be heard or get points accross.

If I’m being honest, there are a number or users on here who i feel like they bully the pre-vets. I do not feel bullied, but i have spoken with users who have felt bullied. That dynamic bothers me. A lot.

I have met some great people here, and i hope if i do get in i can help other pre-vets. I find it easier to do that in personal conversations or in person. Forums are great for alot, but these type of conversations also sprial out of control and there is almost no return.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Yeah, 'cause GP sucks. :shrug: Or, it can be pretty hard to find a good fit with a good balance, good pay, and also good dynamics with coworkers, office managers, and such. Specialty pays more and allows more choice.



Well, since I've been here for 12 years - three before being accepted, four while in vet school, and five now after graduation - I figure I'll still be around. It's fine if you don't stick around to tell me how you feel about all of it after you have graduated.

No one used the words "it's not fair" but I think that's kind of the implication. It seems like (and this is my opinion, mind you) that pre-vets (general) want more schools so there are more seats and more chances to get in. When the veterinarians come in and speak about why they DON'T want more schools, it feels like a personal attack, or like we don't want y'all to have these extra seats. That's what I was getting at.

I feel bad saying, "Just wait, you'll understand." But I'm not sure there's anything else I could say. Sorry.

Actually a free years ago there were prevets that posted just that. It isn't fair we got our DVM already and they didn't. Right around the time this same discussion happened when LMU opened.
 
Yes, we want a chance to get into vet school. When you apply to even the new schools you have to compete with 1700+ applicants. 10 years ago it was 500+. Hell, I just competed with 500 applicants for an interview at a brand new unaccredited school? Maybe we all need to be more realistic in vet med and start talking less about bunny hugging and “pibble nanny dogs” so people will know how glamorous the profession actually is? Also, I have a 3.8 GPA (to whomever it was that assumed) and 3 publications (one I have a cover on Cell). I don’t have a low GPA and this is my 4th try.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
education as to the reality of day to day life as a veterinarian is something else we all strive to do here. There is no painting of rainbows when we talk with prevets who make the mistake of saying they want to go into vet med because they don't like people and love animals. It doesn't seem to change many minds though, so that is another giant reason for the level of unhappiness once folks get out into practice.
 
I have no disdain towards anyone on here. I just feel like a forum is not the best place to have these types of conversations. Its hard to be heard or get points accross.

If I’m being honest, there are a number or users on here who i feel like they bully the pre-vets. I do not feel bullied, but i have spoken with users who have felt bullied. That dynamic bothers me. A lot.

I have met some great people here, and i hope if i do get in i can help other pre-vets. I find it easier to do that in personal conversations or in person. Forums are great for alot, but these type of conversations also sprial out of control and there is almost no return.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So where would you discuss these issues if not a forum?
 
So where would you discuss these issues if not a forum?

Conferences. CE events. Maybe articles.
This forum has bullies. Some of you guys are seriously mean to others. Theres no team when you feel like you cant speak your mind and be heard. Theres ways to get your opinions out and have discussions and not be-little those around you.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Conferences. CE events. Maybe articles.
This forum has bullies. Some of you guys are seriously mean to others. Theres no team when you feel like you cant speak your mind and be heard. Theres ways to get your opinions out and have discussions and not be-little those around you.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The ignore function works great if you feel that way. That way you can still have a good discussion with plenty of other people. CE and conferences don't have the right atmosphere for this level of discussion with as far reaching participants.
 
The ignore function works great if you feel that way. That way you can still have a good discussion with plenty of other people. CE and conferences don't have the right atmosphere for this level of discussion with as far reaching participants.

Sure it does. I could ignore what i don’t like. I try not to make assumptions. I try not to end up in these discussions and just read and bide my time.
I want to speak my mind just like everyone else though. Every where you go on this forum i feel like alot of people do not like being DVMs. I know people who dont like being DVMs. I understand being a DVM is hard. I understand its a profession with little reward for alot of work.

I don’t want to come to this forum and feel l should question my career path or choice. Sometimes i would like be encouraged, even when there may e no light at the end of the tunnel.

All of the users who are DVMs wanted to be DVMs at one point in time. Where is that passion now? Lost with no return? Trying to convince those below you how horrible it is and to not do it? What about you when you were a pre-vet? Didn’t you want this too? I get it someone has to say the negatives, but there are also positives. Not everyone hates this profession. Its wrong to assume ill feel the way they do. Let me make my own mistakes, you can warn me, but don’t tell me youll be here to tell me “i told you so.”



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Yes, we want a chance to get into vet school. When you apply to even the new schools you have to compete with 1700+ applicants. 10 years ago it was 500+. Hell, I just competed with 500 applicants for an interview at a brand new unaccredited school? Maybe we all need to be more realistic in vet med and start talking less about bunny hugging and “pibble nanny dogs” so people will know how glamorous the profession actually is? Also, I have a 3.8 GPA (to whomever it was that assumed) and 3 publications (one I have a cover on Cell). I don’t have a low GPA and this is my 4th try.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You also have to remember that just because 1700 applied doesn't equal 1700 qualified applicants. People do apply that haven't finished pre-reqs, have zero experience, think vet med is a certificate program and have no schooling, etc.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Sure it does. I could ignore what i don’t like. I try not to make assumptions. I try not to end up in these discussions and just read and bide my time.
I want to speak my mind just like everyone else though. Every where you go on this forum i feel like alot of people do not like being DVMs. I know people who dont like being DVMs. I understand being a DVM is hard. I understand its a profession with little reward for alot of work.

I don’t want to come to this forum and feel l should question my career path or choice. Sometimes i would like be encouraged, even when there may e no light at the end of the tunnel.

All of the users who are DVMs wanted to be DVMs at one point in time. Where is that passion now? Lost with no return? Trying to convince those below you how horrible it is and to not do it? What about you when you were a pre-vet? Didn’t you want this too? I get it someone has to say the negatives, but there are also positives. Not everyone hates this profession. Its wrong to assume ill feel the way they do. Let me make my own mistakes, you can warn me, but don’t tell me youll be here to hear me say i told you so.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If that is all you are taking away, you aren't looking very closely. Just look at my posts in the 2019 class. It is the representation of good and bad. That tends to be most post class pages as well if more people would stick around. And I am not saying you would ignore things you don't want to hear, I am saying ignore the people you feel are bullies.

There is a lot of defense in your posts. You are missing the point I think in a lot of what is being said because you are feeling attacked. I am trying to get you out of that space and into the one that is just people talking about real issues so everyone is heard and has a good foundation to build their knowledge from. 🙂
 
If that is all you are taking away, you aren't looking very closely. Just look at my posts in the 2019 class. It is the representation of good and bad. That tends to be most post class pages as well if more people would stick around. And I am not saying you would ignore things you don't want to hear, I am saying ignore the people you feel are bullies.

There is a lot of defense in your posts. You are missing the point I think in a lot of what is being said because you are feeling attacked. I am trying to get you out of that space and into the one that is just people talking about real issues so everyone is heard and has a good foundation to build their knowledge from. 🙂

I honestly do not feel attacked.

Im saddened by the fact that this many people who went to vet school hate that they are DVMs.

Maybe ill stick around. I have to get in first to be apart of a post class page. I just wish more DVMs would not be so negative.

Im fortunate enough that the clinic i work at all the DVMs get along and they love their jobs. I love the atmosphere there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I honestly do not feel attacked.

Im saddened by the fact that this many people who went to vet school hate that they are DVMs.

Maybe ill stick around. I have to get in first to be apart of a post class page. I just wish more DVMs would not be so negative.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You know what you should do then? Look for and/or start a thread for best moments in your DVM career so far. I bet there will be some good highs to be had there to balance out the bad. :prof:
 
You also have to remember that just because 1700 applied doesn't equal 1700 qualified applicants. People do apply that haven't finished pre-reqs, have zero experience, think vet med is a certificate program and have no schooling, etc.

Same if they used to get 500?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk