New York Anesthesia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ivan21

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am thinking of coming to New York City for my anesthesia residency. Unfortunately it is hard to figure out much about all the programs in the city.
Anybody can suggest how the programs rank and how do they compare?
Which are the good ones? Thx.

Members don't see this ad.

general rule of thumb: the ones in manhattan are most desired/competitive. the ones in brooklyn, bronx, long island, and nj are less so. new york is expensive to live on a resident's salary. even if you want to go out, you won't have any money to spend. if you have a family, fuggitaboutit.

it seems there's the big three (from what i understand)-

sinai, columbia, cornell...apparently they are all very similar in terms of volume, diversity and quality but vary in their general "feel" and percieved competetiveness (ie sinai is not "ivy").

i have buddies at 2 of the 3 and hear the same complaints and accolades even though the programs are different (e.g there's not enough ancillary care but the hours aren't bad, the cases are great, etc.) and both think they're at the "best" program in NYC...which i think is a good thing because one would hope to feel that way about their program

Ivan21 said:
I am thinking of coming to New York City for my anesthesia residency. Unfortunately it is hard to figure out much about all the programs in the city.
Anybody can suggest how the programs rank and how do they compare?
Which are the good ones? Thx.

You won't go wrong with any of the big name places: Columbia, Cornell, NYU, Sinai. You'll get more than adequate training at any of these institutions. My training has so far been superb. There have been extensive discussions on many of these programs. Read the reviews on Scutwork too.