You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
New York COM (NYIT-COM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014
Started by BB8730
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
has anyone heard anything from NYIT or received a complete email?
We have received payment confirmation from PayPal. Your supplemental application is now complete.
Submitted 2 days ago
Got that too a while back . I submitted my lors too. I guess just assume they have them haha
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just got the aamcomas email inviting me to go online and fill out the supplemental, which I filled out on august 3rd....sooooo
Same here, but at the bottom it says "If you have already completed your online Supplemental Application, you may disregard this automatic message."
I submitted my primary 2 months ago and just found out that I had to go fill out the supplemental application by my own today.
How come I don't see the secondary prompts described on the first page (why NYIT, why DO)?
All I had to do was to Create Account >> Applicant Information >> Experience >> Additional Information >> Photograph >> Review >> Checkout. Not a single word about osteopathic profession or NYIT in particular.
How come I don't see the secondary prompts described on the first page (why NYIT, why DO)?
All I had to do was to Create Account >> Applicant Information >> Experience >> Additional Information >> Photograph >> Review >> Checkout. Not a single word about osteopathic profession or NYIT in particular.
Right below providing information about the individuals who are recommending you for admission to NYIT you should've seen the following two questions:
1. How did you become interested in osteopathic medicine?
2. How did you hear about NYIT COM?
Thanks for the reply. However, I do not see any of those questions listed on any of the pages.
Here's what I have on the additional information page:
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Additional Information:
Please list the names of any relatives/family members who have graduated from NYIT College of Osteopathic Medicine or are currently enrolled:
Include the following information:
Name
Relationship
Year of Graduation from NYIT COM
Year of Enrollment
Please provide information about the individuals who are recommending you for admission to the NYIT College of Osteopathic Medicine:
Osteopathic physician (DO): Name: City:
State:
Allopathic physician (MD): Name: City:
State:
Pre-health Committee Packet (Name of School): Advisor: College:
Faculty (Science) Name: College:
Faculty (Science) Name: College:
Faculty (Non-Science): Name: College:
Other: Name:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This gets frustrating. I am leaving the town for 3 days and I already submitted the supplemental. Is anyone else in the same situation?😕
Well, since I filled out what my application asked for, all I can do is to hope that I have done the right thing.
Thanks for the reply. However, I do not see any of those questions listed on any of the pages.
Here's what I have on the additional information page:
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Additional Information:
Please list the names of any relatives/family members who have graduated from NYIT College of Osteopathic Medicine or are currently enrolled:
Include the following information:
Name
Relationship
Year of Graduation from NYIT COM
Year of Enrollment
Please provide information about the individuals who are recommending you for admission to the NYIT College of Osteopathic Medicine:
Osteopathic physician (DO): Name: City:
State:
Allopathic physician (MD): Name: City:
State:
Pre-health Committee Packet (Name of School): Advisor: College:
Faculty (Science) Name: College:
Faculty (Science) Name: College:
Faculty (Non-Science): Name: College:
Other: Name:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This gets frustrating. I am leaving the town for 3 days and I already submitted the supplemental. Is anyone else in the same situation?😕
Well, since I filled out what my application asked for, all I can do is to hope that I have done the right thing.
Hey I don't see it either.
I know NYCOM is mostly in state, but will they look to neighboring states? I'm from NJ
27 MCAT
3.38 GPA
3.24 sGPA
3.56 nonscience GPA
URM
From what I've seen, the ones who have been gaining admissions with a low MCAT score or GPA are the IS students. You're one point below the average MCAT and a couple points below for the GPA average so it might be tough since you're OOS. Also no, coming from NJ is the same as if you came from Alaska. You're still OOS. Try though the worst that could happen is that they say no. I would kill for that MCAT score to because I'll be a shoe in 😛
M
MrWonderful
Can anybody please comment on the campus? Is it suburban, city, etc?? How safe is it? I know I could probably get this information online but for some reason I am unable to load their website.
Thank you very much
Thank you very much
Can anybody please comment on the campus? Is it suburban, city, etc?? How safe is it? I know I could probably get this information online but for some reason I am unable to load their website.
Thank you very much
The campus is suburban and yes it is safe. It's actually located in one of the richest areas in the country. I haven't been to the campus yet but from what I know about most parts of Long Island, it's very beautiful. And you have NYC which isn't that far away. I believe that Old Westburry is just 15 minutes away from the Queens border but I could be wrong on that one
M
MrWonderful
The campus is suburban and yes it is safe. It's actually located in one of the richest areas in the country. I haven't been to the campus yet but from what I know about most parts of Long Island, it's very beautiful. And you have NYC which isn't that far away. I believe that Old Westburry is just 15 minutes away from the Queens border but I could be wrong on that one
Thanks. I am not familiar with NY at all
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can anybody please comment on the campus? Is it suburban, city, etc?? How safe is it? I know I could probably get this information online but for some reason I am unable to load their website.
Thank you very much
The campus neighbors the estates of the Bed Bath and Beyond CEO, and JLo's former summer house. Another nearby home has its own helicopter/ landing pad. That should sum up the type of neighborhood and safety
Do I have a shot with these statistics even though my science GPA is a tad low?
31 MCAT
3.51 GPA
3.3 science GPA
in state
I also have a bunch of research, volunteering, shadowing, extra curriculars, work etc.
Your MCAT is great!!! GPA is ~average, and you're IS, apply if you haven't done so already!! I believe you have a good shot!🙂
Do I have a shot with these statistics even though my science GPA is a tad low?
31 MCAT
3.51 GPA
3.3 science GPA
in state
I also have a bunch of research, volunteering, shadowing, extra curriculars, work etc.
Yes considering that you're IS. But you have to apply now !!!!
Does anyone know if NYCOM has an open house ?
Can anybody please comment on the campus? Is it suburban, city, etc?? How safe is it? I know I could probably get this information online but for some reason I am unable to load their website.
Thank you very much
The area surrounding NYCOM isn't that safe. There are a lot of crazy housewives driving recklessly in their Porsches XD
Another question since these questions are pretty vague, but by listing are you guys just listing the titles and dates or your ECs? It sure would make more sense if they asked to describe it too but I'm guessing they don't want to read all of our ramblings.
bump!
bump!
I wrote little paragraphs to this, I personally didn't feel comfortable just listing them. But that's just me. Honestly I don't think there is a right or wrong answer to that.
Alright guys this is my first time posting here to maybe someone can help me out. What are my chances?
26 MCAT/3.6 cGPA/3.3ish sGPA
I've volunteered in a hospital, doing research with two programs right now (one with sloan kettering and one with Stony Brook) and I'm a senior, and also will be shadowing a DO doctor very soon. I know I'm behind on applying but I recently made the decision to apply to DO schools. I'm from NY and it seems that NYCOM prefers in state students. Do I have a shot or should I just wait until I retake my MCAT, on which I'm sure I can score better because I did better than a 26 on my practice tests, and apply next cycle? Thanks
26 MCAT/3.6 cGPA/3.3ish sGPA
I've volunteered in a hospital, doing research with two programs right now (one with sloan kettering and one with Stony Brook) and I'm a senior, and also will be shadowing a DO doctor very soon. I know I'm behind on applying but I recently made the decision to apply to DO schools. I'm from NY and it seems that NYCOM prefers in state students. Do I have a shot or should I just wait until I retake my MCAT, on which I'm sure I can score better because I did better than a 26 on my practice tests, and apply next cycle? Thanks
Alright guys this is my first time posting here to maybe someone can help me out. What are my chances?
26 MCAT/3.6 cGPA/3.3ish sGPA
I've volunteered in a hospital, doing research with two programs right now (one with sloan kettering and one with Stony Brook) and I'm a senior, and also will be shadowing a DO doctor very soon. I know I'm behind on applying but I recently made the decision to apply to DO schools. I'm from NY and it seems that NYCOM prefers in state students. Do I have a shot or should I just wait until I retake my MCAT, on which I'm sure I can score better because I did better than a 26 on my practice tests, and apply next cycle? Thanks
Considering you're instate, you're fine with a 26 (It's only 2 points below the average). You're GPAs are average and your ecs are fine. Apply but you have to do it now !!!!!
M
MrWonderful
ii this morning. If anybody can give me any interview tips i would really appreciate it
M
MrWonderful
When is the interview for?
Was it offered by email or phone call?
ii this morning. If anybody can give me any interview tips i would really appreciate it
I started a thread in the pre-osteo forum titled DO interview tips. There have been many helpful tips written already, and please contribute when you're done!
M
MrWonderful
Does anybody know how they look at multiple MCAT retakes? I took mine in May and got a 22, 7/7/8. Then I retook in July and got a 27 8/10/9.
I was 23 then 27 and i got an ii today
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
When were you complete?
M
MrWonderful
When were you complete?
I was complete 1.5 weeks ago
would anyone that received an invite so far mind if they shared their stats?
are you in-state?
I was complete 1.5 weeks ago
Hmmm I got the complete email on the 9th, and I have similar stats to you. Hopefully i'll get an ii soon.
M
MrWonderful
Im OOS
M
MrWonderful
I just made a chronological list
Hmmm I got the complete email on the 9th, and I have similar stats to you. Hopefully i'll get an ii soon.
I was complete on the 9th too. Can you please update if you get an ii? Thanks
Do these complete emails read that your app is complete or that your supplemental app is complete?
Do these complete emails read that your app is complete or that your supplemental app is complete?
It said " Your supplemental application is now complete."
It said " Your supplemental application is now complete."
Cool, thanks.
firs post here, Im in state NYC all my life, have a cgpa 3.3, sgpa 3.43, and 25 mcat. Lots of EC's like EMT for a year, surgical research experience for 5 years, and most recently a registered nurse for the last 3-4 years in a big city hospital (regular medical surgical floor)...havent received my verification yet, but i only submitted sept 12th i believe..
Does anyone know if NYCOM has an open house ?
Anyone?
I'm super late--but just submitted my secondary. Fingers crossed! OOS.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Some people have received ii's already
Wondering how many waves of interviews have been sent out besides that wave two weeks ago
I believe that was the only wave of ii's
.
Last edited:
Congrats! Best of luck to you
Interview Invitation today by email.
Earliest date available was 11/12/2013
Complete on 9/10/2013
3.5/3.4/28/In-State
is it too early to write them a LOI?
Similar threads
- Replies
- 270
- Views
- 71K
- Replies
- 395
- Views
- 101K
- Replies
- 183
- Views
- 32K
- Replies
- 200
- Views
- 58K
- Replies
- 346
- Views
- 67K