New York situation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premeddick

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am going to interview at New York Medical College. I am leaving Saturday night and taking the red eye into JFK to arrive on Sunday at 5:30am. I am planning on taking public transportation to Valhalla but I can't check into my hotel until 3:30pm. Additionally I would like to walk around manhatten a little bit.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do with my bag while I walk around? People keep telling me to find a locker but I gotta believe they don't have public lockers in NYC anymore. Are there any? Is it too big a pain to go to valhalla drop my bag off at the hotel and then go back into manhattan. Thanks for your suggestions.

Members don't see this ad.

unfortunately finding a public locker is harder than anything else you may encounter in the application process haha. I think your best bet may be to look in the SDN interview lodging thread and find someone who is living in manhattan now, see if they will possibly meet up with you in the morning and let you drop your bag at their place for a while? If you get really lucky maybe they'll show you around ny if you don't know it well. I'd offer if i hadn't moved to philadelphia.

I am going to interview at New York Medical College. I am leaving Saturday night and taking the red eye into JFK to arrive on Sunday at 5:30am. I am planning on taking public transportation to Valhalla but I can't check into my hotel until 3:30pm. Additionally I would like to walk around manhatten a little bit.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do with my bag while I walk around? People keep telling me to find a locker but I gotta believe they don't have public lockers in NYC anymore. Are there any? Is it too big a pain to go to valhalla drop my bag off at the hotel and then go back into manhattan. Thanks for your suggestions.

Most hotels are nice and allow early check in, I would call since you are arriving so early. The train from Manhattan to Valhalla is about 45 min-1 hour and maybe $12 (if I remember correctly) so if you are willing to deal with that, you should drop off your bag. Otherwise, I would not just leave my bag somewhere b/c u really don't want to lose that suit ;)

haha awesome!!! that's exactly what i did. this is how i killed time (i didn't pack much so i could carry my bags around):
- walked to empire state building
- walked to metropolitan museum of art (from 30th st to 82nd st, but you get to see central park on a sunday morning... really amazing)
- walked around manhattan some more
- slept in grand central like a hobo