• Please review the updated member agreement. Included is a new statement supporting the scientific method and evidence-based medicine. Claims or statements about disease processes should reference widely accepted scientific resources. Theoretical medical speculation is encouraged as part of the overall scientific process. However, unscientific statements that promote unfounded ideological positions or agendas may be removed.

dentalmagnet

10+ Year Member
Oct 31, 2008
Status
;;

Last edited:

Sublimation

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
I can't figure out how to go from Newman project to line-bond form when it's not asking for the most stable conformation. If they show me 3-methylhexane and say, "Show this in Newman projection, in its most stable form"...I can do that.

But when they give you a newman projection (for ex: 2-bromo-2-hydroxylbutan-1-ol) I can't figure out how to find the enantiomer of that (in 3-d form) because I can't figure out how to find the line-bond form of it! Can anyone coach me on how to go from Newman to line bond? I can't find anything difficult in my books..it's all the really easy stuff. :confused:
Ill try to make u a tutorial tonight. I'm studying for mondays exams, as you might know lol 730AM!!!!!

TheGreenWave

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 5, 2008
Houston
Status
Dentist
By "line-bond" do you mean a Fischer projection?? Either way, its fundamental to be comfortable with the shape of a tetrahedral molecule. Also, you must know that any horizontal line in Fischer is a bond thats coming out of the face of the page while a vertical line is a bond that is going down in to the page.

If you're not talking about converting from Newman --> Fischer, let me know, Ill try to help you out. :thumbup:

About the Ads

dentalmagnet

10+ Year Member
Oct 31, 2008
Status
;;

Last edited:

dentalmagnet

10+ Year Member
Oct 31, 2008
Status
;;