Newman Projections..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentalmagnet

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
;;

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I can't figure out how to go from Newman project to line-bond form when it's not asking for the most stable conformation. If they show me 3-methylhexane and say, "Show this in Newman projection, in its most stable form"...I can do that.

But when they give you a newman projection (for ex: 2-bromo-2-hydroxylbutan-1-ol) I can't figure out how to find the enantiomer of that (in 3-d form) because I can't figure out how to find the line-bond form of it! Can anyone coach me on how to go from Newman to line bond? I can't find anything difficult in my books..it's all the really easy stuff. :confused:

Ill try to make u a tutorial tonight. I'm studying for mondays exams, as you might know lol 730AM!!!!!

By "line-bond" do you mean a Fischer projection?? Either way, its fundamental to be comfortable with the shape of a tetrahedral molecule. Also, you must know that any horizontal line in Fischer is a bond thats coming out of the face of the page while a vertical line is a bond that is going down in to the page.

If you're not talking about converting from Newman --> Fischer, let me know, Ill try to help you out. :thumbup: