Next step in career.. Any advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

First a PhD or a year of residency?

  • A year of residency

    Votes: 2 66.7%
  • PhD

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Something else, namely...

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    3

Cupcak3berry

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone!

I'm a medical student in my final year and am completing a master's degree in Medicine and a master's degree in Epidemiology at the end of this semester.

I think I want to become an internist-intensivist or a neurologist, still doubting between the two. Here in my country, if you have done a PhD in the field of interest, it increases your chances for the desired residency spot. I want to combine research and clinical work later on in my career as well, and I like to do research. But, I'm afraid to forget a lot of clinical stuff if I will do a PhD (4 years of no clinical experience, but namely data-analysis). My friends are doing a year of residency and others are doing a PhD.

Could anyone recommend any course of action? I'm a bit confused on what to do next..

Any advice is appreciated 🙂 Thanks!
 
Hi everyone!

I'm a medical student in my final year and am completing a master's degree in Medicine and a master's degree in Epidemiology at the end of this semester.

I think I want to become an internist-intensivist or a neurologist, still doubting between the two. Here in my country, if you have done a PhD in the field of interest, it increases your chances for the desired residency spot. I want to combine research and clinical work later on in my career as well, and I like to do research. But, I'm afraid to forget a lot of clinical stuff if I will do a PhD (4 years of no clinical experience, but namely data-analysis). My friends are doing a year of residency and others are doing a PhD.

Could anyone recommend any course of action? I'm a bit confused on what to do next..

Any advice is appreciated 🙂 Thanks!

Talk to advisors in your country who truly understand the pros and cons of either option.