Next Step Practice Test Scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cathy45

Reaction score
Hi. Does someone know how accurate are the Next Step Scores compared to the actual AAMC scores. I took the Next Step diagnostic test and got a 496 and on full length # 1, I got a 499. For some reason I'm doing really bad on CARS and Psych sections. I originally wanted to take the test in Jan 2020, but I don't know if I should do it. I haven't taken any AAMC practice tests yet because I got very disappointed by my NS scores. If you have any suggestions please let me know :(

Members don't see this ad.

From what I've read, NS is pretty accurate until you get to about the 508-510 range. Then it becomes deflated.

FWIW, I took 2 NS exams (1+2) and got a 506, then 509 (last FL I took until the real thing.) Got a 512 come test day.

I would push back your test date. There's no sense in rushing it just to take it. Try to secure an April/May 2020 test date (if they're available currently.)

Reactions: 2 users
I am taking mine in June. I took my first one without much prep and ended with a disastrous score of 505. CARS is what killed me 124. What books would you recommend for practice?

I found NextStep to be pretty accurate in the range you are talking (495-505). You have a lot of work ahead of you. IMO CARS takes the longest to improve and psych takes the least amount of time... so that's positive.

I am taking mine in June. I took my first one without much prep and ended with a disastrous score of 505. CARS is what killed me 124. What books would you recommend for practice?

Just work on any passages for CARS that you can get your hands on. Don't do any questions from 3rd party sources though. Just run through passages and work on focusing the entire time and establishing and linking to the main idea. Run through all of the AAMC CARS questions at least once, but preferably twice.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I am positive I can improve my other 3 sections. I only took 3 FL before my first one. And no practice questions or much. I just reviewed the material a lot and no testing. This time around I will focus on high yield. I want to bump my CARS to 127+. I used KAPLAN for review, any tips? I am thinking about getting TBR or TPR not sure which one tho. @Cornfed101

I am positive I can improve my other 3 sections. I only took 3 FL before my first one. And no practice questions or much. I just reviewed the material a lot and no testing. This time around I will focus on high yield. I want to bump my CARS to 127+. I used KAPLAN for review, any tips? I am thinking about getting TBR or TPR not sure which one tho. @Cornfed101

I'd definitely get TBR over TPR. You get so many more passages and much better answer explanations. TBR emphasizes thinking and systematic problem solving while TPR is more into bulk information.

Your biggest mistake was not doing enough practice. The MCAT requires some content knowledge, but at least half my score came from learning how to take the test via practice FLs and drilling AAMC questions and passages into my head. You need to do EVERY SINGLE AAMC question that exists before you take the test again. I did the SB and CARS qpacks 2x each. I would try to take at least 5 more FLs as well and review them thoroughly.

Reactions: 1 user
Your biggest mistake was not doing enough practice. The MCAT requires some content knowledge, but at least half my score came from learning how to take the test via practice FLs and drilling AAMC questions and passages into my head. You need to do EVERY SINGLE AAMC question that exists before you take the test again. I did the SB and CARS qpacks 2x each. I would try to take at least 5 more FLs as well and review them thoroughly.
That was my downfall! I was devastated by my score. I know I have the content review down, as you said doing the actual practice tests will show me my blind spots and work on them. Also, i will just get better at taking the test by practice. Thank you again for your time and advice! I am only focusing on practicing at this point. I want at least 510+ this time.

Last edited:
Cornfed is absolutely right, it's all about passages and reviewing what you did after the fact. AAMC passages and questions are excellent, there just aren't enough of them.

Cornfed is absolutely right, it's all about passages and reviewing what you did after the fact. AAMC passages and questions are excellent, there just aren't enough of them.
Which prep company will have the most similar questions to AAMC? I am buying TBR books soon, as @PlsLetMeIn21 suggested. I am thinking of getting Next step. Also, if I only have 5-6 hours a day to study for the MCAT for the next 6 months. would that suffice? (weekends will be free 4 months from now).

Also, if I only have 5-6 hours a day to study for the MCAT for the next 6 months. would that suffice? (weekends will be free 4 months from now).

Yes, expect to study 30-40 hours per point you want to increase your score