NHSC APPLICATION 2014/2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Once we use these websites once, will they self-update if there's a credit check in a few days?

The free ones from annual credit report are a one-time thing each year, the other 3 should update and notify you when there is a credit inquiry (the only downside is that they update every few days). It also depends what bureau NHSC pulls from since they can pull any of the 3 bureaus (Experian, TransUnion, Equifax) but each website only reports data from one (Quizzle - Equifax, Credit Karma - TransUnion, Credit Sesame - Experian).

DentalElle reported that it appeared on her Credit Karma account which shows data from TransUnion so that might be a start.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
My last name starts with a W and I submitted on the last day and had my credit checked on 6/23. I'm sure they will do more checks like it seems they have done in past years.

My last name begins with an M and I had my credit checked(Credit Karma and Transunion) on 6/23. For Credit Karma the check was done by the Dept of Health and for Transunion the check was done by DHHS HRSA via CBCINN (I don't know if that's the same as Dept of Health). I hope they do more checks too! I think last year there were 3 checks done..it seems like 6/23 is the second one this year so hopefully there's at least one more day of checks! Good luck everyone.

Members don't see this ad :)
My last name starts with a W and I submitted on the last day and had my credit checked on 6/23. I'm sure they will do more checks like it seems they have done in past years.

In that case, I'm not sure there's any logic to the credit check schedule. I am an MD applicant, submitted on 5/5/14, last name begins with H, credit checked 6/23. If they do in fact check every applicant's credit maybe they randomly assign people to a place in the queue for review?

I called again and they said again that everyone should get their credit checked when they get to your application. Also if you call in and ask the status of your application and if it is still under review hey either havent got to your application yet, or are just now reviewing it. The status would be no offer given if otherwise. Hope this helps!

So you think if we call and ask if we're still in the running they would give us an actual answer or at least where we stand? I'm not sure how much the phone receptionist workers who answer questions know about the exact timeline of it all.

So you think if we call and ask if we're still in the running they would give us an actual answer or at least where we stand? I'm not sure how much the phone receptionist workers who answer questions know about the exact timeline of it all.

I think its worth a shot, but I believe they will only know the status of your application. That is they will look at your application and tell you whatever you can see on your portal (i.e. Still under review). I also don't know how much the phone receptionists know about the timeline, but they are all so friendly!!! :)

I think its worth a shot, but I believe they will only know the status of your application. That is they will look at your application and tell you whatever you can see on your portal (i.e. Still under review). I also don't know how much the phone receptionists know about the timeline, but they are all so friendly!!! :)

Speaking of the portal, where is the portal and how can I access it? URL por favor?

so people entering 2015 would apply early next year?

Members don't see this ad :)
Sigh :(
Sooo I predict 1 of 2 things could potentially happen next week
1. More checks!! (I hope so, more people should have credit checks!)
2. They will start announce finalists! (Eek!!)

If none of this happens, I will be sad :( and probably go a little but crazy from the wait. Lol

Reactions: 1 users
They could just tell us the truth when we ask questions lol...

If none of this happens, I will be sad :( and probably go a little but crazy from the wait. Lol

I hope that both of these things happens lol. I'm anxious to figure out what is going to happen before school starts in a few weeks.

They could just tell us the truth when we ask questions lol...

I think they genuinely dont know the answers to the questions we are asking. I've read on previous threads about the NHSC process that the people who answer the phones don't really know fine details of the application. I must admit that they are super friendly though!

I hope it's the first !

When I called a couple weeks ago to ask some general questions, they said that if you get a finalist email you are picked for the scholarship. Hence last years post everyone who got that email received the scholarship. However, some people who get the finalist email will "deny/not accept the award if given" and their finalist/scholarship position is given to the next person in line. So even if emails go out soon don't lose hope because I'm sure there are a fair amount of people who applied on a whim and may not accept for a number of reasons.

Reactions: 3 users
Just saw a commercial for Credit Karma. It's a sign!!!

Reactions: 2 users
Bump! For a new week. Hopefully more checks and/or some kind of update from NHSC! Anyone else gotten their credit checked lately?

Saw on the fb NHSC page that someone got an email on July 4th that they received the NHSC Loan repayment award, hopefully this means that news for us is imminent. I wish they could just give us a date! (besides sept 30th haha)

It actually doesn't deviate much from the one last year...
(it doesn't deviate at all, rather)

Im guessing no more checks lol...how rounds of checks were there last yr?

Hey Everyone,

Considering the questions floating around on this thread, I ended up reaching out to some NHSC administrators with more direct knowledge of the applicant review process. Here is some of the info I was able to get. I hope you find it helpful.

Re: Credit Checks

The person I spoke with wasn't able to disclose what it meant for an applicant to have their credit checked. That is, they wouldn't confirm whether all individuals received credit checks or whether it was for those who advanced to the finalist round.

Re: Timeline

The person I spoke to said that they are still diligently reviewing applications for the NHSC SP. As there are many applications to review, individuals' applications may be at different stages in the review process.

Their goal is to get decisions released by Mid-August, but this is only a tentative date and goal. I was reminded that, of course, the official notification date as stated in the guidance is Sept. 30.

My own editorial comments:

It might be important to mention that even though applicants got their credits checked earlier this year, I'm not sure whether we can expect them to follow the same timeline as last year. This is because in early June, HRSA went through some restructuring such that the Bureau in charge of the NHSC (BCRS) just merged with another bureau (BHP) to form the Bureau of Health Workforce.

I have a feeling that things might actually move more slowly this year considering the new administrative protocols and organization of leadership they may need to establish, hence the goal of August.

Also, the people at the bureau are soooooo nice and responsive! Good luck to you all! Getting this scholarship would be such an honor and privilege!

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Thanks so much for the info!! That helps a lot. Did they specify that the tentative August decisions would be final notifications of the scholarship or would the finalist email come out sooner? Hope that question makes sense. Thanks!

Thanks so much for the info!! That helps a lot. Did they specify that the tentative August decisions would be final notifications of the scholarship or would the finalist email come out sooner? Hope that question makes sense. Thanks!

They did not specify. Sorry!

Hey Everyone,

Considering the questions floating around on this thread, I ended up reaching out to some NHSC administrators with more direct knowledge of the applicant review process. Here is some of the info I was able to get. I hope you find it helpful.

The person I spoke with wasn't able to disclose what it meant for an applicant to have their credit checked. That is, they wouldn't confirm whether all individuals received credit checks or whether it was for those who advanced to the finalist round.

The person I spoke to said that they are still diligently reviewing applications for the NHSC SP. As there are many applications to review, individuals' applications may be at different stages in the review process.

Their goal is to get decisions released by Mid-August, but this is only a tentative date and goal. I was reminded that, of course, the official notification date as stated in the guidance is Sept. 30.

It might be important to mention that even though applicants got their credits checked earlier this year, I'm not sure whether we can expect them to follow the same timeline as last year. This is because in early June, HRSA went through some restructuring such that the Bureau in charge of the NHSC (BRCS) just merged with another bureau (BHP) to form the Bureau of Health Workforce.

I have a feeling that things might actually move more slowly this year considering the new administrative protocols and organization of leadership they may need to establish, hence the goal of August.

Also, the people at the bureau are soooooo nice and responsive! Good luck to you all! Getting this scholarship would be such an honor and privilege!

Thanks a lot for this!

Is there a phone number that I can call them? Is it still possible to change some info on my application?

You can't make any changes after the application deadline, which was May 15th this year.

BUMP!!

For a new week! Last year the first batch of finalists heard back on July 23rd so maybe NHSC will announce finalists this week..or next week..who knows.

Hey Everyone,

It might be important to mention that even though applicants got their credits checked earlier this year, I'm not sure whether we can expect them to follow the same timeline as last year. This is because in early June, HRSA went through some restructuring such that the Bureau in charge of the NHSC (BCRS) just merged with another bureau (BHP) to form the Bureau of Health Workforce.

What number did you call to talk to this person at the Bureau? I tried calling to ask a couple questions and they just directed me to the NHSC helpline. Here's to hearing some type of news soon!

Check your email! Just received a finalist notification!

Reactions: 5 users
I just got a finalist email too!! Yessss!!!!

Reactions: 2 users
congrats guys! Im still trying to be hopeful over here! I know you all are breathing a lot easier now!

Got one here as well! Congratulations!

Reactions: 3 users
Luckyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Patiently waiting over here

For those of you who got the finalist letter...
Are y'all having issues with the Verification form? Some of the fields have issues, I had to fix quite a few :p

Congrats to those who received the email today! I received a finalist email also-woo hoo! I was reading through previous threads and was wondering if ya'll knew of anyone who received the finalist email and did not end up receiving the scholarship. Just trying to predict the odds of receiving the scholarship at this point so I can know whether or not I need to apply for additional financial aid.