NHSC APPLICATION 2014/2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats to those who received the email today! I received a finalist email also-woo hoo! I was reading through previous threads and was wondering if ya'll knew of anyone who received the finalist email and did not end up receiving the scholarship. Just trying to predict the odds of receiving the scholarship at this point so I can know whether or not I need to apply for additional financial aid.
I spoke with someone on the phone at nhsc a few weeks ago and she sai that you get a finalist email and accept you receive the scholarship. The finalist status is there for those people who may not accept the scholarship then the next person in line gets the finalist status! And according to past threads there has never been anyone on here to get the finalist status and not get the scholarhip.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
For those of you who got the finalist letter...
Are y'all having issues with the Verification form? Some of the fields have issues, I had to fix quite a few :p

I am! When I fill in the "program length" section, it automatically fills in the "year in school" section with the same number. Was this your problem? If so, how did you fix it?

Anyone who got their credit checked and didnt receive the email? *as yet* remaining hopeful.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had my credit checked, but no finalist e-mail :(.

Any medical students receive an e-mail? I know this is a dental forum, but it seems to be the main one for this application cycle.

I just called (couldn't help it) and the lady (i cant get over how nice they are) said that all notification of finalist status have not been sent out as yet. She said officially, we have til sept. 30 to find out, but not all notices have been sent so we may not be out of the running as yet! Keep hope guys!

I remember reading that a couple of kids didn't even know that they were finalist until they saw the lump sum ORC in their accounts in october. So, anything can happen.

I am! When I fill in the "program length" section, it automatically fills in the "year in school" section with the same number. Was this your problem? If so, how did you fix it?
I had the same problem also! I just left both as "select" and added a text box beside the each colon with the correct number. When I saved and viewed it, the "select" wasn't visible. I actually ended up filling out every blank with my own text boxes because I couldn't adjust the font of the original boxes. Hope this helps!

Reactions: 1 user
I had my credit checked, but no finalist e-mail :(.

Any medical students receive an e-mail? I know this is a dental forum, but it seems to be the main one for this application cycle.

I'm a medical student that received a finalist e-mail. Good luck!

MD applicant. Submitted on 05/15.

No credit check, and thus no finalist email. Still holding onto slivers of hope for news before the end of September!

Otherwise, I suppose I'll just have to re-apply next year! I'd love to hear any advice that successful re-applicants might have to offer for next year - preferably via PM since I don't want to hijack this thread. I'll be sure to share the advice once this application cycle starts winding down. :)

Congrats to all the students who have gotten the finalist email!!! I'm sure you will all be super doctors in the future! And good luck to all others who are still waiting!!!

I had the same problem also! I just left both as "select" and added a text box beside the each colon with the correct number. When I saved and viewed it, the "select" wasn't visible. I actually ended up filling out every blank with my own text boxes because I couldn't adjust the font of the original boxes. Hope this helps!

Adding a text box might be the easiest way! If you have Adobe Acrobat 11 (I think that's what it is) you can completely manipulate any PDF file. I think you can download a free trial or purchase it.

I personally used this website http://www.pdfescape.com/open/
I uploaded the document and I right clicked the select option under program length, unlocked it, and deleted it. Then I added text under it and just put the program length (in my case 4) Repeated the same thing for the Year in School.

I also had issues with selecting the final term and current school status. So I just checked off the current school status option and for the final term option I went to the left side menu and selected "form field" added the "radio" option and put it over the selection I was to make (which was no for me).

Probably made things more complicated... :p but it worked for me!

MD applicant, received finalist email and indicated continued interest. How exciting!!

I printed the verification form and filled it in by hand! Easiest way for me.

Still no word. No credit check. Pretty bummed but everything happens for a reason...staying hopeful!

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know what to put for employer's name on the w-4? Since the form is for NHSC's purposes and the money comes from them I wonder if we have to put that rather than our current employer. I called the helpline and asked and no one seemed to know. :/

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know what to put for employer's name on the w-4? Since the form is for NHSC's purposes and the money comes from them I wonder if we have to put that rather than our current employer. I called the helpline and asked and no one seemed to know. :/

I think that's for NHSC to fill out. On line 8 it says Employer: Fill out lines 8 and 10 if sending to IRS. I may be wrong though. Let me know if I am or if you get an answer from the helpline!

I think that's for NHSC to fill out. On line 8 it says Employer: Fill out lines 8 and 10 if sending to IRS. I may be wrong though. Let me know if I am or if you get an answer from the helpline!

I also left it blank because of what it says on line 8 and submitted it like that :)

I did not even see that! Thanks !!!

To those who got a finalist notification: What is the deadline by which you need to accept/decline the award?
I'd just like to know so I can estimate when a second round of notifications might be sent out.

Would you mind telling me which credit agency was used ( out of the three) for credit checks? Thanks.

To those who got a finalist notification: What is the deadline by which you need to accept/decline the award?
I'd just like to know so I can estimate when a second round of notifications might be sent out.

I received the finalist notification on 7/24. We were told to respond by 8/3 or offer would be rescinded. Maybe more offers will go out next week!

Just waiting for my contract to be counter-signed and then I will contact my fin aid office to cancel those loans!

I received the finalist notification on 7/24. We were told to respond by 8/3 or offer would be rescinded. Maybe more offers will go out next week!

Just waiting for my contract to be counter-signed and then I will contact my fin aid office to cancel those loans!

People have mentioned we don't receive money until November.....it seems we would have to accept loans to pay for first semester and then the NHSC would reimburse. Anyone know?

which credit agency was used ( out of the three) for credit checks? Thanks.

People have mentioned we don't receive money until November.....it seems we would have to accept loans to pay for first semester and then the NHSC would reimburse. Anyone know?

My FA office made it seem like the school will send NHSC an invoice for payment... Which I'm not sure if that means I will still be responsible for payments. They pay tuition and fees directly to the school. The stipend and "other related costs" payment will come directly to the student, according to the online PDF.

My FA office made it seem like the school will send NHSC an invoice for payment... Which I'm not sure if that means I will still be responsible for payments. They pay tuition and fees directly to the school. The stipend and "other related costs" payment will come directly to the student, according to the online PDF.

I think this means that they WILL NOT be billing you for tuition and fees, but the nhsc. so any loans you took out will be refunded to you without having had tuition taken out. You can cancel/return them so that you have no loans out. You are lucky that your school did it this way! Saves you trouble from waiting to be reimbursed from NHSC. :happy:

Is there any way to find out how much the stipend will be for different cities or do we just have to wait for them to tell us when we get it?

Is there any way to find out how much the stipend will be for different cities or do we just have to wait for them to tell us when we get it?

I don't think the stipend varies per city..

So... if we are finalists should we give our FA office a heads up? Slightly confused as to how it would work if we do become recipients.. that is, how do we return any loans that we do take out?

Also, I realllllllly hope finalist= recipient.. I know the trends and what everyone has said, but I'm still scared :p

I was wondering the same thing about letting our FA office know and how it all works out with loans?

Hello everyone!

Congrats to all of you receiving interviews and acceptances! I was talking with a couple interviewees at UCLA the other day and they asked about the NHSC scholarship that I received and I think it would be good to start the NHSC thread on here for the next application cycle.

The application cycle opens on MARCH 18th!

It is in your best interest to start and complete the application as early as possible. It is not the easiest application to get through.

Here is where you apply:

http://nhsc.hrsa.gov/scholarships/index.html

Here is more information from last year's threads (things to look for, credit checks, etc.)

Medical:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/nhsc-scholarship-2013.993812/

Dental:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/nhsc-application-process.992915/

I am heading into finals week at UCLA, so I might not be the quickest with responses to any messages. But, feel free to ask questions!

To avoid some of the most common questions I get bombarding my inbox... Here are some of my thoughts about the scholarship:

1.) I think the NHSC scholarship is the best option out there for paying off dental school if you do not plan on specializing right out of dental school. (You can, however, go for an AEGD, GPR, or Peds. It changes every year).

2.) I LOVE the scholarship and it makes me happy that I can go through dental school without worrying about money. The monthly stipend pays for my apartment, food, travels, and even my Disneyland pass.

3.) It is NOT difficult to get through dental school on this scholarship. It is a pretty clear and straight forward process. The NHSC does expect you to be organized and get everything done in an orderly fashion, so, there will be days that you are running papers to the admissions office/registrar/financial aid office. Not too much though.

4.) You do have to work for four years (or less depending on how long you request the scholarship for) in an underserved area. Yes, this can include places in the middle of L.A. or N.Y. You will not always be in a farm town in Wisconsin or Alaska. If you get a head start, you will get to serve in a place you really like.

5.) Last year they offered 22 dental scholarships. (~500 applied, I think? 600? Not sure).

Best of LUCK!

Hey @JAWSSS ! As a recipient, do you have any insight to offer regarding how the process works with Financial Aid? Did you have to take loans out initially to pay your first term tuition? When did you start receiving the stipend/ORC payment?
Thanks for your time!

I accepted award and saw credit check show up. What does Accepted Award - Under Final Review mean exactly. I know it is not guaranteed until we get email I am just curious to know what documents they are reviewing?

To all who received the 'finalist' email congrats.
As for loans - you will need to take them out this semester. Once you are officially awarded the scholarship the NHSC will provide you with info to give to the Fin Aid office. The office will then know you have a third party payer. The Fin Aid office will submit the bill for tuition (and other fees the school may include with the bill) to the NHSC. NHSC will pay the amount that they are responsible for (they may not pay the entire bill because there might be some fees the school includes in the bill that the NHSC does not cover. In my case the NHSC does not pay about $200 of the bill. Also, my school charges instrument leasing fees separate....so that amount I pay, BUT the money for this is included in the ORC payment given to us once each year). Once the NHSC pays the bill then that amount which was originally taken out of your loans will be given back to you. You can keep it or pay it back to the loan servicer, the latter is being better;) (OR if you have other loans with higher interest rates use the money to pay down those first)

If you want to give the Fin Aid office a heads up that is fine, I did the same last year, but it does not changes anything. Until you have the info from NHSC that is needed for them to be billed then you just do what you would normally do. Also, I suggest doing the math for your specific situation. I figured out what my ORC payment should have been (it included health ins, computer, travel, instrument lease, etc) and the amount they gave me last year was almost spot on to what I expected.

After the first semester you never need to apply for loans again. The financial aid office is basically using the NHSC as your guarantor and payer and so you will not have anything to worry about aside from the possible fees you are personally responsible for.

Remember every school is different so ORC payments will not be the same etc. For example my wife's school includes her health insurance in with tuition bill so the NHSC pays it directly, whereas I pay it myself with the ORC funds.

Hope this makes sense.

Reactions: 3 users
I received a call from NHSC this morning. The lady was checking to make sure I received the finalist email and had turned everything in to show continued interest in the scholarship. I asked her if a finalist email=recipient of scholarship and she said it did, after which she said "Welcome Aboard!". She said finalists should be receiving an email in about 3 weeks. I probably should have asked her more questions but I was half asleep when she called.

For those still waiting for finalist emails, all hope is not lost. You should probably be hearing back after Aug 3 (which is the deadline for the current finalists to accept or decline the award). Good luck everyone!

I would love to wake up to a call like that lol!
Awesome!

I received a call from NHSC this morning. The lady was checking to make sure I received the finalist email and had turned everything in to show continued interest in the scholarship. I asked her if a finalist email=recipient of scholarship and she said it did, after which she said "Welcome Aboard!". She said finalists should be receiving an email in about 3 weeks. I probably should have asked her more questions but I was half asleep when she called.

For those still waiting for finalist emails, all hope is not lost. You should probably be hearing back after Aug 3 (which is the deadline for the current finalists to accept or decline the award). Good luck everyone!

Thank you for the info! That's great to hear!!

New week!
Deadline for finalists was yesterday, maybe more emails will go out soon?
Maybe our contracts will be finalized this week? ...here's to hoping!

If I am a D1 this year can I apply next year for a 3 year scholarship?

IMO with your high GPA you may as well retake and be competitive at almost every school

Anyone know how many dental scholarships they will send out?

Last year 180 total scholarships were awarded. I'm not too sure exactly how many were for dental students but I read somewhere that about 20% were dental scholarships. If anyone finds out exact numbers let us know!

Last year (2013-2014) there were 182 total scholarships. During the scholar webinar 104 of the 182 scholars participated and 25 reported being dental students. The NHSC host specifically stated "there are more dentists this year ('13-'14) than ever."

I hate to bother people but did anyone who received finalist and signed hear back?

I hate to bother people but did anyone who received finalist and signed hear back?
Not yet!
According to last year's thread, contracts weren't counter-signed by the gov until the 8th or 9th! Maybe by the end of the week!

Reactions: 1 users
Last year (2013-2014) there were 182 total scholarships. During the scholar webinar 104 of the 182 scholars participated and 25 reported being dental students. The NHSC host specifically stated "there are more dentists this year ('13-'14) than ever."

whoa...thats few

Will we receive an email stating the counter signature?