NHSC Application 2016 is Officially Open!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I don't know if I should be happy or not that no one has gotten the email yet.

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone who checked his/her credit score, did you use karma only? Or did anyone use other sites like Experian?

Members don't see this ad :)
Last year the finalists were released the 7/21, the Tuesday of the fourth week after the review period ended (Friday June 28 according to grantreviewinfo.net) this years' review ended July 1st Friday. The Fourth week after July 1st is this week--making tomorrow the day (or Thursday). Hopefully my calculations here are right as this wait is killing me too.

Reactions: 4 users
Didn't the NHSC have a huge increase in funding this year?

As long as hope is alive, I'm happy.

I wonder if they got more applications this year, necessitating a longer review than they had planned? Every year, the student debt crisis gets exponentially worse and it's not surprising students are pursuing any means to lessen the burden. Or maybe in (completely unfounded, I'm making this up) amazing news, someone decided "hey let's double the number of scholarships this year. Better go add another 200 recipients to our list!" and that's what's taking so long.

I believe they were supposed to and part of the funding was going to support the scholarship specifically. The total funding was supposed to be split among 7 entities.

But all I could find was this release, which mentioned 196 scholarships -- which is what was awarded last year as new awards -- and there is no indication how many, if any, more scholarships are expected to be awarded this year. http://www.hhs.gov/about/news/2015/...40-million-expand-primary-care-workforce.html I didn't attend the webinar, maybe someone here did and can remember whether they commented on the expected number of scholarships.

I attended two of them, I don't recall any mention of new or more scholarships. When callers asked about the number of scholarships given they were encouraged to check the guidebook for last years stats. Anyone else hear anything different?

I attended two of them, I don't recall any mention of new or more scholarships. When callers asked about the number of scholarships given they were encouraged to check the guidebook for last years stats. Anyone else hear anything different?

The NHSC seems to be the most helpful group of people, ever.

Reactions: 1 user
I wouldn't ever venture to say that any certain day will be the day at this point.

Finalist email this moring at 7:00 am Mountain time, credit check 6/14

Members don't see this ad :)
I got one as well!! Does this mean we got it or is it still up in the air?

Did not get a finalist email. Credit was checked 7/21. Is there any chance they send out more finalist emails later or is it always all at once?

I just thought I'd post that I got a finalist email this morning (7 am MST). I'm starting my D3 year at Roseman University and applied for the 2-year scholarship. This is kind of unreal! Best of luck to everyone who applied. PM me if you have any other questions and I'd be happy to try and answer them. This is my second year applying, so it's kind of a relief! Especially when your school isn't one of the cheapest as far as tuition goes...

Did not get a finalist email... disappointed to say the least. Credit checked on 06/14. Disadvantaged background. Taught inner city for 3 years. MD applicant. Simply stating facts.

Finalist email this morning as well. I hope it means that we got it!! Super excited:D

credit checked 6/14 and finalist email at 6am Pacific. Does this mean we actually got the scholarship though?

Finalist email this morning at 6:00 am PST. Incoming OMS1.

Do they just send one rounds of finalist emails?
I didn't get an email but was credit checked 6/14.

Congrats guys. No credit check or email for me. Next year application here I come.

I haven't checked historical threads but did anyone who was selected as a finalist not received the scholarship? Finalist email this morning, incoming MS-1 MD, Internal Med applicant.

If you're a finalist, what's the chances of getting the award?

Last edited:
Basically, if you're a finalist the scholarship is yours. Congrats everyone!

Darn no finalist email, Congrats to all the finalist! At least now I can stop worrying about it 24/7 haha

If you are a finalist, you got the award, as long as you complete all of your paperwork and accept by August 3rd. They usually do a second batch of finalists once everyone either accepts/declines the first round of awards.

I have found one reference on past threads stating that someone received a finalist email in August (after the first finalist round - like today). At least there is some hope for those of us that haven't received a finalist note today.

Reactions: 4 users
Those of you who received the Finalist email could you please post what school you go to and what priority status you had? It would be really helpful for next year!

I go to the university of Oklahoma and I had no disadvantaged status. Just a normal run of the mill upper middle class white dental student.
I just started my 1st year in June 2016

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
No finalist email. Feel free to decline so I might get it :p:p
Congrats to the finalists!!

I go to the University of Kentucky (KY resident) and had disadvantaged status.

Did none of the incoming DMD1 students get a finalist email?

I am first year dental student. I also know of one other student in my class that also received the email. Hoping for the best for you guys.

Hello, I'm a DMD 1, attending UPenn. Received my finalist email at 9am EDT. I didn't have disadvantaged bg on my application. Another D1 classmate of mine also got a finalist email. We both applied for 4 year. Keep on checking your emails! Good luck!

What the ppl with the finalist emails gpa like? If you don't mind sharing.

I go to the university of Oklahoma and I had no disadvantaged status. Just a normal run of the mill upper middle class white dental student.
I just started my 1st year in June 2016

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Life is not fair.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm an incoming D1 student, haven't started yet and got the finalist email on July 27.

Life is not fair.
I dont think the committee cares about the need of the applicants, they just want someone who seems willing to serve. It is a service scholarship and not a need based scholarship after all.

Reactions: 5 users
I dont think the committee cares about the need of the applicants, they just want someone who seems willing to serve. It is a service scholarship and not a need based scholarship after all.

Be that as it may, We still think life is unfair. Not exactly the committee just life itself.

Congrats to everyone, I will work hard in dental school and reapply next year. You guys have been great through this SDN and i think you all will be great dentist and doctors who will support needy and underserved populations.

Reactions: 2 users