NHSC NHSC IM salaries, subspecialization, +

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureD.O

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I have some questions regarding NHSC scholarships and the salaries one should expect following residency.

I am very open to the idea of pursuing a career in Internal medicine. I wanted to see if anyone could give me an idea of the types of salaries one should expect following residency. According the medscape (2014), the average IM salary was around $190k. How do the NHSC sites salary's generally compare to the national average? I'd expect them to be slightly lower for the most part, but how much lower?

Another scenario: if I find during my rotations that I am interested in a subspecialty such as cardiology, would I be able to pursue a fellowship following the fulfillment of my 4-year contract?

I had another question but have forgotten what it was (haha), I'll be sure to remember it soon and either edit or post it somewhere in a response. Thanks in advance for any input!

Members don't see this ad.

I am very open to the idea of pursuing a career in Internal medicine. I wanted to see if anyone could give me an idea of the types of salaries one should expect following residency. According the medscape (2014), the average IM salary was around $190k. How do the NHSC sites salary's generally compare to the national average? I'd expect them to be slightly lower for the most part, but how much lower?

So please keep in mind that the average IM salary includes IM hospitalists, who almost always get paid more (sometimes much more) than outpatient only IM. The average also includes very experienced physicians, who get paid much more than a newbie out of residency would.

Your salary will vary quite widely based on your region, obviously.

The year I started, I was about $25K-$30K below the national average, although I think that the starting salary has since gone up. I thought that that was reasonable, because a) it was about what I could have expected if I had stayed on at my residency program as faculty, and b) I was saving about $25K a year, since I didn't have to pay back any loans. My salary has gone up quite a bit since starting, so it's closer to what the national average is now. To put it in better perspective, it was either exactly the same, or about $30K less, than what my co-residents were being offered for their private practice jobs.

Another scenario: if I find during my rotations that I am interested in a subspecialty such as cardiology, would I be able to pursue a fellowship following the fulfillment of my 4-year contract?

Is it possible? Sure. Is it likely? Well....

You can pursue a subspecialty fellowship after your service payback. I just always caution NHSC applicants that going back to fellowship is not as easy as you might think. I am now about 3.5 years out of residency. I had considered going back and doing a fellowship - since I am family medicine, I have fewer options, but something like sleep medicine, or palliative care. But it's really hard to make that leap - going back to making $65K a year, when I've been making 6-figures for a few years. Going back to working most weekends and holidays, when I've had almost all weekends and holidays off. Going back to being a trainee when I've been an attending for a while. You can do it, but it isn't as easy as just going back into training.

So please keep in mind that the average IM salary includes IM hospitalists, who almost always get paid more (sometimes much more) than outpatient only IM. The average also includes very experienced physicians, who get paid much more than a newbie out of residency would.

Your salary will vary quite widely based on your region, obviously.

The year I started, I was about $25K-$30K below the national average, although I think that the starting salary has since gone up. I thought that that was reasonable, because a) it was about what I could have expected if I had stayed on at my residency program as faculty, and b) I was saving about $25K a year, since I didn't have to pay back any loans. My salary has gone up quite a bit since starting, so it's closer to what the national average is now. To put it in better perspective, it was either exactly the same, or about $30K less, than what my co-residents were being offered for their private practice jobs.

Is it possible? Sure. Is it likely? Well....

You can pursue a subspecialty fellowship after your service payback. I just always caution NHSC applicants that going back to fellowship is not as easy as you might think. I am now about 3.5 years out of residency. I had considered going back and doing a fellowship - since I am family medicine, I have fewer options, but something like sleep medicine, or palliative care. But it's really hard to make that leap - going back to making $65K a year, when I've been making 6-figures for a few years. Going back to working most weekends and holidays, when I've had almost all weekends and holidays off. Going back to being a trainee when I've been an attending for a while. You can do it, but it isn't as easy as just going back into training.

Thank you for the prompt reply! I apologize for replying late, but I have been busy with the cycle and just recently got back home from an interview and am now prepping for another. I'm sure you remember the hectic process haha.

If you don't mind I will certainly be getting back to this and PMing you in the near future. I would really like to make an informed decision before committing myself to the contract! Thank you again.