NHSC Scholarship 2018-2019

Started by yaya97
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Countersigned!
I can't believe it!!!

Edit: DMD student requesting for four years. 3.84GPA, bunch of volunteering, great letters or rec., efn and disadvantaged status.

My advice to future applicants: Don't think you don't qualify for efn or disadvantage status without calling NHSC and asking them about your specific circumstances! (Example: Receiving the Pell Grant means you can apply as EFN)
 
Last edited:
I called the BHW line and asked if a countersign definitely means you were selected for participation and was told "if your contract was countersigned you have been selected for the scholarship." Not confident that this is totally true since the line doesn't have the best rep on giving out info, but im choosing to believe this one 🙂 Congrats to everyone again--this is such a huge honor I could not be more excited.

If the contract was countersigned then it is official and legally binding. They cannot take it back...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For those with countersigantures, were you notified via email? I checked my contact and there is an electronic signature by a HRSA representative this morning. But my award status still says “accepted award - under final review.” I’m concerned...
 
For those with countersigantures, were you notified via email? I checked my contact and there is an electronic signature by a HRSA representative this morning. But my award status still says “accepted award - under final review.” I’m concerned...

That is how it always is. The countersignature shows up before any status update or email.
 
For those with countersigantures, were you notified via email? I checked my contact and there is an electronic signature by a HRSA representative this morning. But my award status still says “accepted award - under final review.” I’m concerned...
It should say your contract is signed. Also in previous years countersignatures were given across 2 days i believe
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Have any finalists not yet received a countersign? Trying to predict whether there will be two or just one round this year...
 
The only thing I can see to download is "view your submitted application" or I can click to download an individual document, however, I do not see a link to download a "contract". Does the contract feature only appear if you get the countersignature?

The contract feature only appears if you were selected as a finalist in August, and signed a contract stating you would serve if chosen
 
The contract feature only appears if you were selected as a finalist in August, and signed a contract stating you would serve if chosen
So if you weren't selected as a finalist in August, does that mean there is no chance of getting it? I read that someone put something about another round??
 
So if you weren't selected as a finalist in August, does that mean there is no chance of getting it? I read that someone put something about another round??
Generally, the first countersigns only go out once all the finalists have been selected. There is always a very small chance something changes since HRSA is all over the place, but it’s probably over if you haven’t been named a finalist at this point.
 
My HRSA portal was just changed, now it has a welcome page with a link to welcome materials. I also received an email stating the change of my application status.

Now I feel like I can let my school know that I got the award!!!
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot_20180919-123438_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20180919-123438_Samsung Internet.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 246
Question: If I am anticipated to matriculate into dental school for fall 2019, when do I start filing this scholarship? or should I have already started? Thank you
 
So my school does not include health insurance in tuition and fees. I confirmed that the NHSC will still reimburse us, but I dont know what's the cap, and no one gave me a straightanswer. So has anyone here gone through this already or are in the process of and can shed some light on this? I dont want to sign up for my schools max insuarance and then end up not getting reimbursed. TIA
 
So my school does not include health insurance in tuition and fees. I confirmed that the NHSC will still reimburse us, but I dont know what's the cap, and no one gave me a straightanswer. So has anyone here gone through this already or are in the process of and can shed some light on this? I dont want to sign up for my schools max insuarance and then end up not getting reimbursed. TIA

When I was a student, there was no cap. I don’t know if that’s changed in recent years.

I also had to be reimbursed for health insurance as it was not listed as a required fee. However, it took 7 months and a ton of emails to get that money in the end.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
As soon as you have an acceptance in hand and applications are open. Usually around February or March of 2019.
and how competitive would you say this is? i dont hear anyone talk about this scholarship, more people talk about the military lol
 
if you were awarded the scholarship, did you try to submit the app as early as possible? earlier someone said it might not matter, but want to see if it actually does
 
For those that received the scholarship, how many volunteer hours did you have, and what was your GPA like?
I received the scholarship 5 years ago, but I had a few thousand hours of volunteer hours and 3.94 GPA. They don’t ask for volunteer hours specifically, but you do have to turn in a CV or resume. And I’m not 100% sure they even consider GPA. It’s generally your essays and LORs that matter most and possibly any disadvantaged status that you have.
 
I received the scholarship 5 years ago, but I had a few thousand hours of volunteer hours and 3.94 GPA. They don’t ask for volunteer hours specifically, but you do have to turn in a CV or resume. And I’m not 100% sure they even consider GPA. It’s generally your essays and LORs that matter most and possibly any disadvantaged status that you have.
That is good to know! Thank you for your comment. My undergrad GPA is good by my grad GPA is a bit lower. In my case, if it is not that huge of a factor, even better. I do have quite a bit of volunteer hours so I hope that helps. Fingers crossed!
 
Do you get to choose the location/clinic as long as the facility is approved by NHSC? Or is it mandatory to relocate to wherever they need you?
 
You get to choose for the most part. As long as it is NHSC active and falls within your required HPSA, you can work wherever you can get a job.
What kind of LORs do they ask for?

I have quite a few, but they are aimed at med school. Should I get new ones specifically aimed at this program? If so, how many?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I applied last year and did not receive an award. Now I'm in my first year of medical school. Is it worth applying again? Not much has changed except now I have a half a year of successful medical school under my belt. But if there's a chance I want to apply again anyways